cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Escapees Answer to the AZ Diesel Question

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
This was in my email inbox this morning and is from Escapees.

"Diesel Fueling in Arizona
Message from Jim Koca, Advocacy Director

Arizona fuel-tax rates are different from what we may be used to while traveling throughout the United States. This fuel law has been on the books for several years. The law states:
The Arizona tax on gasoline (motor vehicle fuel) is 18 cents per gallon. Use fuel (diesel) is taxed at two rates in Arizona.
-If the use fuel is used in the propulsion of a use class motor vehicle on a highway in this state, the tax rate is 26 cents for each gallon.
-A "use class motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle that uses use fuel on a highway in this state and that is a road tractor, truck tractor, truck or passenger carrying vehicle having a declared gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds or having more than two axles.
I talked to the Revenue & Fuel Tax Administration Fuel Tax Manager in Phoenix, Az, and asked for the definition of the "passenger carrying vehicle" and he stated that would include a motor home. What this means is those who have a vehicle that has three or more axles or a declared gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001+ lbs are required to use the truck lanes and pay the higher fuel tax. The regular diesel tax is 18 cents. Filling the RV at the regular pumps will subject you to a citation with a steep fine. Arizona has a Fuel Tax Evasion Unit that monitors the filling of vehicles at fuel stations.
Escapees feel that this information should be sent out to all of the members that travel through Arizona.
I would like to thank all of the members who have sent in this information to Headquarters so that we could investigate this issue."

There you have it.
19 REPLIES 19

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BobGed missed that post.
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Please see my post dated 10/15 in this topic: LINK
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œA motor home is exempt from weight fees unless being used in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise.โ€

Please call or email with any questions.
Take care,
Mark

Mark Zimmerman
Senior Division Administrator

Revenue and Fuel Tax Administration
1801 W. Jefferson St., Mail Drop 501M
Phoenix, AZ 85007
www.azdot.gov"

Pretty simple

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Not so much to do with cents per gallon as 1000 dollar fine.
To confuse this even more AZ MH have zero declared weight therefore are not effected by this declared weight tax.

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Why in the world would anyone get so excited about .08 cents per gallon????

Fill up, pay up and move on. Or break the law and pay the price.
Never understood why someone would drive across town to save a few pennies, let alone try to figure how to drive through a state to save pennies on the dollar.

20 percent Biodiesel causes way more problems that I can understand.

Pogoil.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does not apply to private MHs.....it is for commercial vehicles using diesel fuel.

If you fuel up at higher taxed pump.....go inside and get your $.08/gallon refund.

You will be refunded the overcharge in 'use tax' even if your MH has 3 or more axles and weighs more than 26,000# because it is a non-commercial vehicle

This is a non-issue.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
It seems pretty simple:
"...those who have a vehicle that has three or more axles or a declared gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001+ lbs are required to use the truck lanes and pay the higher fuel tax."
So, a diesel motorhome with a tag axle and towing a Jeep has 5 axles. Use the truck lanes, pay the truck tax.
A diesel motorhome with a tag axle, by itself, (not towing) has three axles. Use the truck lanes and pay the truck tax.
A diesel motorhome with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or more, use the truck lanes and pay the truck tax.
a diesel motorhome with NO tag axle, towing a Jeep, has four axles. Use the truck lanes and pay the truck tax.
A diesel motorhome with two axles, with a GVWR of less than 26,000 lbs., not towing, does not have to pay the truck tax.
My gas motorhome does not have that problem. Not enough axles, not enough weight, and it doesn't use diesel fuel.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
If it's not easy to understand or somewhat confusing and people error on the side of paying more.....it benefits the state. I mean unless they have been monitoring it and insisting on refunds to those who paid too much. I wonder if they do that.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Basically it says a MH is exempt from weight fees unless it is commercial. That means all private motorhomes pay the lower tax. The pump stickers are very confusing and also say read the rest of the law...the stickers are not the law. Really it is pretty messed up the way it is presented.
The memo is an attachment in PDF to an email. Can't copy, and don't know how to repost. Could email it to someone who can.

two-niner
Explorer
Explorer
This has been discussed before and a lot of "evidence" has been posted.
Last week while returning from DW's class reunion in Bisbee, AZ we pulled into a Shell station (easy in and out) just north of Casa Grande.
Sure enough, there was a sticker in plain English stating any vehicle weighing over the 26,001lbs OR three (3) or more axles can not use that diesel pump. The Shell station was also a food mart and not a truck stop. I filled up anyway and paid the regular price.
The sticker did state in bold letter at the bottom...minimum $1,000.00 fine.
NO EXCEPTIONS. Note the words "minimum fine"!! Took my chances and was lucky.
However, I would not refuel at the front pumps at any truck stop on I-40 or I-10
Kerry

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great ! it's raining today...just popped some popcorn...now I'll just sit back and wait for Johnny T.....:W......D
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

jbrad13
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
Rollnhome wrote:
How's this:

"As we discussed, if you own a motor home (RV) that is not subject to the weight fee as provided in ARS 28-5432, you are allowed to fuel your vehicle at the $.18 pump. Should you fuel at a $.26 pump, you may go inside the retail station and request an $.08 refund from the cashier.

I have also attached a policy memo regarding motor homes. Pay close attention to letter B, which states, โ€œA motor home is exempt from weight fees unless being used in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise.โ€

Take care,

Mark

Mark Zimmerman

Phoenix, AZ 85007
www.azdot.gov

Any chance we can get copies of the referenced policy memo?? On the surface it seems to say that an RV is exempt only if it's below the 26,000 lbs/3 axle requirement. Is this how you read it??

That's the way I read it. What this memo is saying is that if you are below the axle requirement and pump at the higher priced fuel pump you are entitled to a refund. It doesn't say anything about motor homes being exempt.

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rollnhome wrote:
How's this:

"As we discussed, if you own a motor home (RV) that is not subject to the weight fee as provided in ARS 28-5432, you are allowed to fuel your vehicle at the $.18 pump. Should you fuel at a $.26 pump, you may go inside the retail station and request an $.08 refund from the cashier.

I have also attached a policy memo regarding motor homes. Pay close attention to letter B, which states, โ€œA motor home is exempt from weight fees unless being used in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise.โ€

Take care,

Mark

Mark Zimmerman

Phoenix, AZ 85007
www.azdot.gov

Any chance we can get copies of the referenced policy memo?? On the surface it seems to say that an RV is exempt only if it's below the 26,000 lbs/3 axle requirement. Is this how you read it??
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
Having been hassled once some years ago, we always fill up before entering Arizona (usually at the Flying J in Lordsburg, NM), and don't refuel until we are out of state in California, Nevada, Utah, or back in New Mexico). No Problem ! ! !