cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Trailer Safe In-Between Winter Trips

RescueRam3
Explorer
Explorer
I have a travel trailer that I winterized in November. I am in Virginia so its probably safe to dewinterize in March. However, we have found that we are missing out on some good trips because it is now winterized. I really hate the idea of keeping our unit off-limits during the mild VA winters.

I imagine I can't forgo winterizing for the sake if being able to camp in the winter, can I? Is my only solution to winterize after each trip and dewinterize before each winter trip. Seems like a time and money draw to keep doing that.
12 REPLIES 12

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Drain and blow, with Antifreeze in the Ptraps would be my suggestion.

I would think that down there you could do this with no problems.

Depending on how your trailer is set up and where you store it could you just put a electric heater in it on the cold nights to keep things from freezing?
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
Unfortunately I'm resigned to parking the TT between November and March. Yes, there are some mild stretches here in NJ during which I wish I could take her back out for a spin. The problem is that there are very few CGs open in this area during the winter. Even if open, you usually have to dry camp because the water lines have been shut down. So un-winterizing wouldn't be necessary.

I am getting close to the point where I'd like to retire and travel down south for a month or two during the cold months.

In the same boat in Pennsylvania. I wait until the end of November and sometimes December. This year was odd with 10 day deep freeze in middle November and a foot of snow over thanksgiving.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Before our trip south last February, we took a shakedown trip to the State Park for a weekend. We dry camped and snowshoed. Three days later we were in TN and could add water, by the end of the week we were basking in southern GA.

The cold weather may have been more adventurous but the warm weather was certainly a pleasant change from the Indiana snow.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately I'm resigned to parking the TT between November and March. Yes, there are some mild stretches here in NJ during which I wish I could take her back out for a spin. The problem is that there are very few CGs open in this area during the winter. Even if open, you usually have to dry camp because the water lines have been shut down. So un-winterizing wouldn't be necessary.

I am getting close to the point where I'd like to retire and travel down south for a month or two during the cold months.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
Yes winterizing my rigs take a hour if I take my time and about 5 to 10 dollars worth of pink stuff depending on which rig. This is my hobby so I don't even think of it as work. I enjoy messing with my campers. I will gladly dewinterize for a good trip and winterize when I get home.

Yikes! You're making it too difficult!

We went to Florida over Christmas. I winterized at the end of October and un-winterized in Georgia at a KOA enroute to Florida a little over a week ago. Took 2 bottles of "pink stuff" and winterized when we got back to Indiana. I kept a close eye on the weather forecasts and decided to re-winterize once home as temps were above 32 pretty consistent.

Got home and first thing I did was re-winterize with the "pink stuff". It took less than 10 minutes (if that long), and that included popping the low-point drains. Glad I did it right away, because that night it dropped below 32.

I installed the in-line winterizing kit when I first purchased the camper. Drain the water heater, then Flip the valve on the water heater, Flip the valve at the water pump and stick the hose in the gallon jug and turn on the water pump, turn on each faucet, hot and cold until pink runs, and what's left over from the 2 gallons, dump down the drains for the p-traps. Then go under the trailer and pop the low points and let it drain. Close them, done! Total time ... less than 10 minutes.

Not sure I follow what you are getting at. Both of my rigs are in my shop. I could probably cut my time to 20 minutes on the 5th wheel and about the same for the TC. But I don't see it as a chore so I fiddle around and take my time. Looks like we both do the same thing.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Coming from a canoe and tent background, we simply dry camp in the winter and use the heated CG wash house.

We have an electric heater so we do not have to use the propane heater much.

We have a five gallon water jug for coffee and cooking. We do not use the black or grey water tanks.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
Yes winterizing my rigs take a hour if I take my time and about 5 to 10 dollars worth of pink stuff depending on which rig. This is my hobby so I don't even think of it as work. I enjoy messing with my campers. I will gladly dewinterize for a good trip and winterize when I get home.

Yikes! You're making it too difficult!

We went to Florida over Christmas. I winterized at the end of October and un-winterized in Georgia at a KOA enroute to Florida a little over a week ago. Took 2 bottles of "pink stuff" and winterized when we got back to Indiana. I kept a close eye on the weather forecasts and decided to re-winterize once home as temps were above 32 pretty consistent.

Got home and first thing I did was re-winterize with the "pink stuff". It took less than 10 minutes (if that long), and that included popping the low-point drains. Glad I did it right away, because that night it dropped below 32.

I installed the in-line winterizing kit when I first purchased the camper. Drain the water heater, then Flip the valve on the water heater, Flip the valve at the water pump and stick the hose in the gallon jug and turn on the water pump, turn on each faucet, hot and cold until pink runs, and what's left over from the 2 gallons, dump down the drains for the p-traps. Then go under the trailer and pop the low points and let it drain. Close them, done! Total time ... less than 10 minutes.

I drain the black and gray tanks first.

To the OP:

No reason why you cannot winter camp. You have a couple choices. Dry camp (no water in your camper.... revert back to tent camping days when you used campground facilities and carried water in jugs or buckets. Nothing down the drains, no showers, but cat baths and toss the water out the door.

Second option is to ensure your tanks are heated and winter proof. Then you can use on-board water.

Either way ... don't let cold weather stop you.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
sch911 wrote:
ChooChooMan74 wrote:

That's what we do and we're in Michigan!

X3
Same here.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get used to it, winterizing is simple. You will need to do it after each trip or at least before a freeze.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:

That's what we do and we're in Michigan!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized