cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feb 1st were out of here need a 1st night plan or alternate.

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
Well were going to give a try to get on our way Feb 1st. Leaving Richmond Mi. and heading toward Fla. Williston Crossings for a month. If I get on the road early and if I have decent weather it is 375 miles to KY Horse Park. I drive under 65 so I think we can make it before 5PM. The next night I plan on staying at Harvest Moon near the KY/ GA border about 325 miles the second day. I am not thinking of dewinterizing the first night just heat some water on the stove and wash up. Maybe second day dewinterize if the weather looks good.
Now the question is what alternatives are there if something happens and the first days drive becomes too long. This a new new TT and I have not pulled it very much only a couple hundred miles. I however am not new to towing and RVing with well over 100,000 miles in our last 4 camping units ( 3 MH's and 1 TT ). I have made this trip a few times and it is hit and miss weatherwise. Right now the 15 day forecast looks OK but you know how that goes.
Also any alternatives to going through Atlanta. And for Night 3 around the GA. Fla. line. My reservations at the RV park in Williston are not until Feb. 4th.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)
9 REPLIES 9

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
Matt_Colie wrote:
We live near DTW and whenever we go south we make the first stop the FMCA free FHU in Cinci. We hit there last spring with no water and not much propane. We just had to get out of Michigan. But that was a good winter to get out of too.

Matt

X2
FMCA Campground You do have to be a member. After last nights bridge crash taking 275 East bypass may be the better route.

We sold the MH and we now have a TT so the FMCA campgrounds won't work
I will try to make past Cincinnati on sunday so straight through may be best if no more road/bridge failures.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

ronfisherman
Matt_Colie wrote:
We live near DTW and whenever we go south we make the first stop the FMCA free FHU in Cinci. We hit there last spring with no water and not much propane. We just had to get out of Michigan. But that was a good winter to get out of too.

Matt

X2
FMCA Campground You do have to be a member. After last nights bridge crash taking 275 East bypass may be the better route.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
While you stated that you're leaving February 1st just keep an open mind about the date. 2 years ago when we left (just happened to be February 1st) we learned a lesson about using specific dates...the weather doesn't always cooperate. We now look for an "open window" period based upon weather locally and at certain geographic locations along the way (using weather.com). If the weather looks better on January 31st go that date. You don't want to be caught on I-75 in slipper conditions.

Safe traveling.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
If you are coming down I-65 there is a campground at Columbus right along the interstate called Woods and Water that is open all winter. It is just about 60 miles north of the Ohio river.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
Well were going to give a try to get on our way Feb 1st. Leaving Richmond Mi. and heading toward Fla. Williston Crossings for a month. If I get on the road early and if I have decent weather it is 375 miles to KY Horse Park. I drive under 65 so I think we can make it before 5PM. The next night I plan on staying at Harvest Moon near the KY/ GA border about 325 miles the second day. I am not thinking of dewinterizing the first night just heat some water on the stove and wash up. Maybe second day dewinterize if the weather looks good.
Now the question is what alternatives are there if something happens and the first days drive becomes too long. This a new new TT and I have not pulled it very much only a couple hundred miles. I however am not new to towing and RVing with well over 100,000 miles in our last 4 camping units ( 3 MH's and 1 TT ). I have made this trip a few times and it is hit and miss weatherwise. Right now the 15 day forecast looks OK but you know how that goes.
Also any alternatives to going through Atlanta. And for Night 3 around the GA. Fla. line. My reservations at the RV park in Williston are not until Feb. 4th.

There is a nice campground off of 75 at exit 129 called Whispering Hills RV in Georgetown,Ky.....cut down the first days trip some what
Also, i think that campground next to Camping world ,mentioned ,i another post here..is still closed...would cll to double check....but at exit 80 is a new campground at carroll's sasuage co...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

63-Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
At Kentucky Horse Park there should be water available at their dumping stations so you will be able to fill any jugs or whatever you use on the way in. Their washrooms and showers are open , large, and clean. Whenever we have done the trip at that time of year in the past we have stayed our first night at Kentucky Horse Park and our second night at the KOA at Forsyth GA. It makes for a bit of a long second day but it's south of Atlanta. To answer your original question, I don't know of many other options on your first day other than a hotel.

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
No Water at Kentucky Horse park now. Fill your on board tank or take gallon jugs for toilet and misc needs.
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
When we travl to Florida we also stop at the Ga. Fl. state line. There is a Camping Word just inside Fl. Maybe exit 5. The CW has a campground beside it with full hookups. No reservations and $20.00. You go inside the CW to pay for your site. Works for us.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff