cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan micro quite 4000 won't stay running.

One_Florida_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon,

This is my first post so be gentle...:B

I just bought a newer Class C with an Onan micro quite 4000. It runs for about a minute and shuts off. Setting a code 13.I can smell the old fuel so I pulled the fuel hose off and ran the pump for a bit until the fuel looked clean.

I drained the float bowel and sprayed some carb cleaner in it but it's pretty much doing the same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave
30 REPLIES 30

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Follow THIS to the ONAN Manual.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
One Florida boy wrote:
j-d wrote:
What are your Model and Spec Code? I may have that manual.

Did you look at the Flight Systems link?

4KY FA26100J

I will check "Flight Systems" later today. Thanks for all the help...:B

Kilowatts: 4 = 4000 (4000 Watts)
Product Family: KY
Starting method: F (remote startable)
Voltage & Frequency code: A (120 volt, 60-Hz)
Specification number: 26100 (code for options & special features)
Specification letter: J (Used to identify major design or manufacturing changes)

The serial number will tell you the month and year it was built, and the location of the manufacturing plant that it was built at.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
One Florida boy wrote:
Quick update,

I pulled the carb off and took it apart, clean as a whistle. I cleaned it anyway and blew out all of the passages with compressed air. Reassembled and installed it. "No change" So by process of elimination I've been able to eliminate a fuel supply issues.

That should resolve cab issue ... but the other fuel issue maybe the fuel pump or fuel line. There have been a number of threads where people with intermittent running issues have tracked down the problem to fuel pumps which don't have enough power to keep up the fuel flow, have also read that tiny air hole in fuel line can create havoc as well.
Kevin

One_Florida_boy
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:

4KY FA26100J

I will check "Flight Systems" later today. Thanks for all the help...:B

j-d
Explorer
Explorer

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can download the PDF for free, Google it.

One_Florida_boy
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
Did you ever get an ONAN service manual? There's usually a troubleshooting sequence.

No, can I call Onan and order one?

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Did you ever get an ONAN service manual? There's usually a troubleshooting sequence.

One_Florida_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update,

I pulled the carb off and took it apart, clean as a whistle. I cleaned it anyway and blew out all of the passages with compressed air. Reassembled and installed it. "No change" So by process of elimination I've been able to eliminate a fuel supply issues.

I was able to get my hand far enough back to rotate the fan on the Gen and I can turn the motor over by rotating the fan by hand so I believe the Gen is turning and not slipping. So it's ether the Gen is not producing enough voltage "for whatever reason" or the controller is bad.

I will price a controller tomorrow.

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
You could plug a Kill-a-watt meter into its receptacle. It's a handy tool for checking appliance/charger/etc. draws, too.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
If it has ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) the ATS is probably near where the Shore Tie Cable enters the coach. Ours is under the bed, near the Power Center (Breaker Box).
If it doesn't have ATS, there's a Receptacle (like the ones on campground power pedestals) near where your Shore Tie Cable is stowed when not in use. Probably in the same compartment. Receptacle is powered by the Generator. You plug your Shore Tie Cable into the Receptacle and your coach is powered like it was on a campsite.

One_Florida_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
The easiest place to test power is if it goes to an outlet- but if your rig has a transfer switch, that is where you should test- the input from the generator.
How does it sound while running? Does it reach a constant speed?
You might also download and look at this Flight Systems guide.

Thanks Chris,

I have know idea how fast it's running, if I had to guess I would say maybe 2,500 RPM. I've only had the coach for a week now, I'm still getting familiar with it. Its a 2000 Coachman Class C. Where would this switch most likely be and what does it look like?

Thanks

Dave

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest place to test power is if it goes to an outlet- but if your rig has a transfer switch, that is where you should test- the input from the generator.
How does it sound while running? Does it reach a constant speed?
You might also download and look at this Flight Systems guide.
-- Chris Bryant

One_Florida_boy
Explorer
Explorer
Ugg,

Ok so this morning before anything else I decided to try and load the Gen to see if it made any difference, no difference. I mixed a bottle of Sea Foam with one gallon of gas and gravity feed it directly in to the carb. Same result...

Now I'm convinced it's shutting down because the controller is telling it to. Can anyone tell me how to check the output voltage so I can try and determine if it's the controller or if it's really not putting out the correct voltage and that's the issue. Any help on how to do that would be much appreciated.

Dave