cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie question on mirrors

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
I know this may be a stupid question,but are there some kind of extention outside rear view mirrors to put on your tow vehicle to see with? We have an Expedition with what I think are regular rear view mirrors. Will they do?
41 REPLIES 41

djtkach
Explorer
Explorer
Those CIPA ones are what I first had and eventually threw away. Others may have different experience, but here's my two cents. If CIPA had a compatible slip-on like they do for the F150 it would probably be a decent product, but these didn't work well for me.

Those CIPA are super-convenient to store compared to the Mckesh but that's the only plus in my experience. Here come the minuses.

When attaching them to the Expy mirror you have to crank them really tight in order to avoid vibration on the highway, but after a few months of use the plastic clips stretch and you can no longer crank them tight enough without them flying off, as the amount of mirror edge on the Expy is limited.

After a year, the rubber feet start to dry out, and then you lose grip on the mirror, so vibration gets worse. Next, they dry to the point where the feet crack and fall off the posts that hold them against the back of your mirror.

I also found that the mirror doesn't stay in place well - one tap and you will be re-adjusting.

I hate the look and bulk of the Mckesh and avoided them for that reason, plus had heard they may scratch the paint - no problem for me but I'm cautious not to put on a gravel-covered dirty truck. Now that I have them, I'm not turning back until I buy a new TV that has factory towing mirrors.

Good luck with your decision.
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2008 KZ Spree 290BHS

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
My husband has a problem with this type of mirror. This was the one he's picked out so far that he would do:
http://www.cipausa.com/product/universal-towing-mirror-11960

djtkach
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - here's what I bought:

https://www.safetowingstore.com/McKesh-Mirrors-p/70007.htm

I added one convex spotter for the drivers side.

I also wanted CIPA slip on at first and found as you did, they don't make one for the Expy. And...the F150 version isn't the same for some reason.

These are a PITA compared to having factory, but they are rock solid and, once adjusted, they never shift.
2008 KZ Spree 290BHS

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have what kind of mccesh you used?
I've checked I think Cipa jacket types and they dont make them for my suv. To bad because my hubby liked them best

djtkach
Explorer
Explorer
I had the CIPA strap on for the first few years on our Expedition then switched to Mckesh. No turning back.
2008 KZ Spree 290BHS

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
CIPA makes a universal fit like
this one.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There are no [uurl=http://www.cipausa.com/products/ford]CIPA custom fit or Fit system solutions for the 2004+ Expy that are a step above the Universal AKA crappy mirrors.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

luvmydogs
Explorer
Explorer
which ones exactly are you talking about on the Cipa website

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
If you are interested in the CIPA mirrors, go directly to the CIPA WEBSITE. They have the correct "fitment" charts for all vehicles, then shop around.

I have & use them for my rig & they work just fine.
I gotta say that for my $$$$ the strap on's are just too much hassle. Put'em on take'm off and they look funky. The CIPA's went on the day I bought them and have never come off, no noticeable vibration and they blend in with the existing mirrors.

plauterer
Explorer
Explorer
In the states and provinces I have been in it is required to be able to see what is coming behind the trailer. Looking at the side of the trailer is not good enough.

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:
There are products available like THESE, and I used them on my first tow with my TT. Shortly thereafter, I upgraded to full-on extendable towing mirrors, and every truck I own has them and will have them.
I put these CIPA mirrors on my 2008 Silverado in 2011 when I bought my first TT. I am on my second TT and the mirrors have NEVER been off the Silverado. Substantially less expensive that having OEM type mirrors retrofitted by the dealer. I highly recommend them.

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
I also use the Grand Aero mirrors on our 2013 Expedition. There is a slight vibration, but not enough to impair the rearward view. I like them and recommend them.

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Aero.

frisco_dave
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2011 Expy, and I use the "suction cup" mirrors from Walmart- Camco "tow-n-see".

Camco Mirrors

They've worked fine. The trick is- have to clean the mirrors with Windex first, and then they never fall off. I don't find they really vibrate either.

When we got our first rv a few years back, I posted the same question. A seasoned poster who drove an Expedition said he used those, so...figured they must be decent. They have been.
2011 KZ Coyote 232SS
2011 Expedition 3.73