Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

help

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
i know i have post this earlier however i need some assistance on this
when you dewinterize what values do you open and close in order to get all the antifreeze out of the system, i just purchase this TT and i have never winterize one, in about three weeks i will be going to the beach camping, i need some help so i don't mess up my new TT.
15 REPLIES 15

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
as i understand it all i have to do, too dewinterize is to open all my fasucets and run all the antifreeze out, then go to the water heater and open the bypass value and allow water into the hot water heater.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
As noted, it's easy. After you've rinsed with fresh water until no pink coloring shows, shut everything off. This is the time you add the bleach to the fresh water inlet. Usually about 1/2 cup is more than enough. Fill the FW tank and close everything off. Start opening one faucet at a time until you smell the bleach coming through...remember the outside faucet. Once the bleach smell comes through everywhere, shut everything down and forget it for a few hours or overnight. Next, hook up your fresh water hose and start opening faucets. Let them run until you have no bleach odor...sometimes takes a bit of time. That's it. Simple.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Next you have to sanitize the system. Bleach hoses, tanks, waterheater, showers,toilet. Let sit over night. Drain and flush with fresh water repeatedly
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget to flush outside shower(if you have one).

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
When I dewinterize. I hookup the city water. Turn on the bathroom faucet and let it run until the water is clear. Then I un bypass the water heater. Open the faucet again, and let the water heater fill, and I 'm dewinterized. Why would you need to do more.?

BTW. I NEVER put antifreeze in the fresh tank.
That's basically the protocol but you also want to open evrey fixture and flush the toilet to empty every bit of antifreeze in the supply lines. Just opening one valve may not rinse it all out.

I just care about getting the antifreeze in the main line past the WH. One faucet down stream will do that. The rest will take care of them selves the first time you turn one on.

AS for the tolite. I don't worry about it. It will FLUSH pretty quick.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Danford50 wrote:
so when i dewinterize i need to bypass the water heater?

If the trailer is winterized, your water heater should be bi-passed already. That would be, to keep antifreeze out of the heater. When you de-winterize, you don't need to do anything to the water heater. Just flush the lines and leave the water heater until you are ready to use it. Then, install the plug and turn the bi-pass valve(s) to allow water to run into and out of the heater.

Here's a link with pictures of various bi-pass setups.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
When I dewinterize. I hookup the city water. Turn on the bathroom faucet and let it run until the water is clear. Then I un bypass the water heater. Open the faucet again, and let the water heater fill, and I 'm dewinterized. Why would you need to do more.?

That's basically the protocol but you also want to open evrey fixture and flush the toilet to empty every bit of antifreeze in the supply lines. Just opening one valve may not rinse it all out.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Stovepipe
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:

This sounds a heckuva lot easier! I'd be interested to hear why others think this isn't the ideal protocol. (planning to buy a TT summer of 2016)
2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 32BH
2015 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi 4x4 CC

in5r
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you need to leave the water heater bypassed chances are it is already by passed from the process of winterizing it. Hook up your city water supply and open faucets to run all the pink stuff thru. Then put some fresh water in your fresh water tank and run water by using your pump, this part is being done because your pump is used to put the antifreeze into your water system. After this is all done and the water flows thru clean you can then turn the bypass valves at your water heater allowing water to enter it, be sure the drain plug is installed on the water heater though.
2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

Danford50
Explorer
Explorer
so when i dewinterize i need to bypass the water heater?

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
When I dewinterize, I crawl underneath, uncap the low point fittings, put a bucket underneath, attach a water hose to trailer and turn on slow to force the fluid out. I drain the freshwater tank and flush it out, refill with water, I recap my low point drains, turn on my pump and open each faucet to make sure the fluid is all out, open the bypass valves to the heater and let it flush out. I reinsert my anode rod and let the hot water heater fill up. I run more water through the trailer...opening up everything that needs it. When I am assured I have it cleaned out, I apply power to my hot water heater. I check it using the propane and electric. Don't be surprised if you forget something...the biggy is make sure water is in the hot water heater. I also take my little access panels off inside to check for water leaks under the tub, sink, hot water heater, and in the kitchen. I know that everyone has there own way to do it...this is just mine. A few years when I first did mine, I thought I had everything cleaned out...I used a little bleach in my fresh water tank because the trailer had been sitting when we bought it....one night my dw gets up to go to the bathroom for a small cup of water...I hear her....Yep...didn't get all the bleachy water out.
Mark

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
When I de-winterize, I would open furthest away valves first. Let drain until clear water comes out. Then, I would close that valve and open next nearest valve. Repeat until last valve from water input source is completed. Then, repeat for this circle - in case there's any backflow antifreeze residue (that made its way past a valve). After 2 rounds of flushing, I then open the water tank valve and ensure clear water drains out the water heater's bottom plug. I then re-install the plug using white plumbers tape, change its bypass valves, then do a final round of flushing - ensuring all trapped air and antifreeze is flush out. After 4rd round, I then plug the RV in (for water heater elements to work). Never operate water tank when its water heater tank is empty.

Note: When flushing until clear water comes out, remember to also flush the shower's flex hose as well. Some folks forget this step and their 1st shower sprays antifreeze (for first 15-45 seconds).

This works for me.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Open all lines that have water in them, they are usually drained in the rear and may have the valves under the TT. Open all. Drain fresh water tank, drain is underneath. Pour Travel Trailer Antifreeze down each drain, sinks and shower.Only takes about a quart each.
The way I read his post, the OP wants to know how to DE-winterize!

To the OP, the only part you need to get right is the water heater.
If the TT is winterized the water heater will be bypassed.
You need to open valves to let water in and out of the WH and close any valves that provide a bypass from cold to hot lines.
Your TT may have one, two or three valves depending on how it is set up and what kind of valves they are.
Look around the back of the WH and let us know what you see.

The rest of the system simply needs filling with fresh water and flushing out a few times.
Let's hope there is no anti-freeze in the fresh-water tank as that will take FOREVER to rinse out.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.