cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cincinnati Ohio - When is it usually safe to dewinterize?

charles_cincy
Explorer
Explorer
Newbie here, hopefully our hybrid made it through the winter.

Trying to figure out when I can plan on dewinterizing it.

I know the last frost is around mid-may. So, for sure I can de-winterize then. But a trailer I don't think I need to worry about frost with a trailer like we do with flowers. Besides, we're itching to get out earlier.

For instance, our kids spring break is April 3-12th. Considering a long weekend 9-12th.

From this site:
https://weatherspark.com/#!graphs;a=OH/Monroe

It appears that Mean Low for April 1 is 40...for April 9th, it's 41. Also on April 9th, 32 is at the 10th percentile...so 90% chance that I should be ok.

But I love to hear from the voices of experience in the Northern Cincinnati area.

Thanks!
Charles
28 REPLIES 28

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I usually dewinterize in mid-April here - a couple hours from Cincinnati. There's always a little risk in that (last freeze date is in May) but not much.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, dear....KY has just been slammed this year. Before heading out the driveway, strongly suggest you call the park and see if they're open and if they have water on. When is this trip planned? If you're thinking Big Bone Lick, they're very popular and fill up quickly. Further into KY is Gen Butler SP. Very pretty but the sites are a bit on the smaller size so ask for something a bit larger. Again, depending on the time you're planning, neither may be open. Even here in TN, most SP don't officially open until about April 1. For future reference, Indian Lake, straight up I-75 to US 33, I think, is very nice, huge sites, lots of trees. Don't waste your money of FHU as, IMHO, they are the worst sites in the park. When you feel ready for a longer trip, just in the corner of GA and TN is Cloudland Canyon. Chattanooga area with lot so see and do and the park is beautiful. Only drawback, unless they've changed rules, is that it is not site specific. Worth the trip. LBL on the KY/TN border has many campgrounds but most are Federal and do not have water to the site...inconvenient. Hope you can find something open pretty soon. Would be nice to get out and enjoy!
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
As soon as the snow melts I think I might de-winterize, and if it goes below freezing just turn on furnace for the nights. I'm looking at the weather and like seeing some 40's pop up. Course that is still just the High temp. De-Winterizing would just make it feel closer to spring!!
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Third week of April usually works for us.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Most PA State Parks open up for full operation by April 20th
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

beachlovingmom
Explorer
Explorer
Also near Cincinnati. We are leaving March 26. Surprised to find that some Georgia state parks and most COE not open then. Better make sure the Kentucky park is open before you leave.

charles_cincy
Explorer
Explorer
We're just planning on taking a short trip; probably down into KY.

I've not had the trailer long enough to feel comfortable with a long trip.

Plus, we're only taking a couple of days off work; so just a long weekend.

Charles

dadmomh wrote:
This year, I would not even consider planning a dewinterizing time. We're in West TN and "normally" have our trailer dewinterized about the 3rd or 4th weekend in Feb - sometimes even our shakedown trip done. So here we are nearing the second week in March and for this part of the country it's nasty, brutal, COLD. When we do dewinterize in late Feb, we keep a ceramic heater ready to turn on and open the cabinet doors to get heat into the plumbing, but that wouldn't touch the 5 degrees we had this morning. You didn't mention your destinination - or I missed it - but if you're heading south, wait until you're darned sure the temps are going to be good. Last week our house in FL had an overnight temp of 28...granted it came up to mid 60's later in the day, but I would not chance it. I know you're excited....we've all been there. But to spend your vacation repairing plumbing and possible damage is just not worth it. If you have to make reservations, advise them that weather may force a change....surely this year they'll understand. Dewinterizing is not a long, hard process...you just need plenty of water to sanitize. You could even do it on the road at a campground...inconspicuously. Our Rocky is sitting, winterized, until we are absolutely sure a serious buyer is on the way. At that point the heat will come on and if they're REALLY serious, then we'll dewinterize. Otherwise, it may be weeks.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
fireman41 wrote:
This year maybe june possible july.

Where do you live in PA? State is sub-arctic the past 2 years but I figure 3rd week of March is safe. I'm in the Pokes, so trout season is delayed opening vs the lower half of temperate state.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Nvr_lost
Explorer
Explorer
Another Fairbornite here. I have gone to Florida in May and winterized at a Tennessee rest area on my way back when I saw expected below freezing temperatures on the return home. You can always de-winterize as a last minute departure task and then re-winterize if temps are expected to plunge again. Since you only have three days, I guess you are going where campgrounds are open, probably a little south too. I hear Louisville had 12 inches of snow this week. Don't know how far south you would have to go to get decent weather.

I think I would wait.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
This year, I would not even consider planning a dewinterizing time. We're in West TN and "normally" have our trailer dewinterized about the 3rd or 4th weekend in Feb - sometimes even our shakedown trip done. So here we are nearing the second week in March and for this part of the country it's nasty, brutal, COLD. When we do dewinterize in late Feb, we keep a ceramic heater ready to turn on and open the cabinet doors to get heat into the plumbing, but that wouldn't touch the 5 degrees we had this morning. You didn't mention your destinination - or I missed it - but if you're heading south, wait until you're darned sure the temps are going to be good. Last week our house in FL had an overnight temp of 28...granted it came up to mid 60's later in the day, but I would not chance it. I know you're excited....we've all been there. But to spend your vacation repairing plumbing and possible damage is just not worth it. If you have to make reservations, advise them that weather may force a change....surely this year they'll understand. Dewinterizing is not a long, hard process...you just need plenty of water to sanitize. You could even do it on the road at a campground...inconspicuously. Our Rocky is sitting, winterized, until we are absolutely sure a serious buyer is on the way. At that point the heat will come on and if they're REALLY serious, then we'll dewinterize. Otherwise, it may be weeks.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!. Me again! FYI ... (North of of Indianapolis resident here).... we are leaving for Florida TOMORROW! (OH YEA!) with the camper for a week. Yesterday, I picked up 2 extra gallons of "pink stuff", so on our return I can re-winterize before hitting the snow belt again. We'll keep watch of the weather trend around central Indiana all next week, and before hitting the snow belt on our return, will call the shot then if we should or should not re-winterize. I REALLY hope the trend is good and won't have to, but am prepared if need to.

So you know ... we are in that time of year when anything is possible. If you are planning on using your camper soon, I think that's wonderful! But, there is nothing wrong, and it takes only a few minutes to either blow out the lines again or pump the pink to get you further into the year and warmer weather.

Just something to think about!

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
We live just a few minutes south of you in Independence KY and will be going out the first week of April as we do every year. When we get back we wont winterize again unless the temps will not get above freezing for more than three days which I doubt. Last year we went out the first weekend of March and had to rewinterize as soon as we got back. But really not a big deal. Three gallons of antifreeze and 5 minutes you are done.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the weather we've been having I would say July 4th.....

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
Columbus area here. It's early to mid April for us and then I sweat it out till mid May. Just be on standby to rewinterize on short notice or add heat if we get another cold snap.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped