cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable reverse sensors on 2015 SuperDuty

Crumm
Explorer
Explorer
When you put truck in reverse with camper on the reverse buzzer goes nuts as it thinks you are going to back into the camper bumper that is 2' behind the sensors. Hit a couple buttons on the steering wheel and it can be disabled but resets to the on position every time the key is cycled. When a trailer is hooked up the system automatically turns off but not with the camper.

Did some research and one solution was a Tekonsha Emulator which is basicly a test light for the seven way plug which includes a trailer brake control tester. The emulator tricks the truck into thinking there is a trailer connected. I got one in the mail today and while it does the trick there seems to be some vent slots in the bottom of it which I assume is to dissipate the heat created by whatever kind of load cell it uses to simulate trailer brakes. Through these slots I can see multiple electronic components which are going to be exposed to the weather and road spray if the unit is left plugged into the seven way. I imagine it would short out before long.

Back to the drawing board. Any ideas?
2015 F350 SuperDuty, SC, LB Torklift hitch and tie-downs, LT285/75R18 Toyo AT II 4080@80psi
96' F350 PSD with smoke added, Airbags, Trailmaster SSV shocks, 315/75R16 Toyo M/T, Centering guides.
06' Adventurer 90FWS
19 REPLIES 19

Crumm
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:

Have you tried dis-connecting the wires from the sensors, works on my 2007 F250

We will give that a shot
2015 F350 SuperDuty, SC, LB Torklift hitch and tie-downs, LT285/75R18 Toyo AT II 4080@80psi
96' F350 PSD with smoke added, Airbags, Trailmaster SSV shocks, 315/75R16 Toyo M/T, Centering guides.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Crumm wrote:
When you put truck in reverse with camper on the reverse buzzer goes nuts as it thinks you are going to back into the camper bumper that is 2' behind the sensors. Hit a couple buttons on the steering wheel and it can be disabled but resets to the on position every time the key is cycled. When a trailer is hooked up the system automatically turns off but not with the camper.

Did some research and one solution was a Tekonsha Emulator which is basicly a test light for the seven way plug which includes a trailer brake control tester. The emulator tricks the truck into thinking there is a trailer connected. I got one in the mail today and while it does the trick there seems to be some vent slots in the bottom of it which I assume is to dissipate the heat created by whatever kind of load cell it uses to simulate trailer brakes. Through these slots I can see multiple electronic components which are going to be exposed to the weather and road spray if the unit is left plugged into the seven way. I imagine it would short out before long.

Back to the drawing board. Any ideas?

Have you tried dis-connecting the wires from the sensors, works on my 2007 F250
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Crumm wrote:
Yup tried that but it doesn't work on newer trucks.

Fantastic, I have a 2011. This now on my list of spring things to do. Thanks.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Crumm wrote:

Not going to retrain me. I am out to beat the system.

That's sounds pretty militant. Never let the system beat you. Keep us posted.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

Crumm
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
Crumm wrote:
This truck has a camper package so it should be a option to disable it.

Right on. And they should include a reverse camera extension package too. And the exhaust brake button should be mounted high enough that one doesn't have to take their eyes off the road.
Maybe by 2017, eh?

My solution is before putting it in reverse, to be prepared to hit that sound button even if the steering wheel is positioned upside down.
. . .just goes to prove that you can train an old dog.

Not going to retrain me. I am out to beat the system.

I built my own backup camera extention that mounts above the extended receiver I built and now I am going to beat the buzzer one way or another.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crumm wrote:
This truck has a camper package so it should be a option to disable it.

Right on. And they should include a reverse camera extension package too. And the exhaust brake button should be mounted high enough that one doesn't have to take their eyes off the road.
Maybe by 2017, eh?

My solution is before putting it in reverse, to be prepared to hit that sound button even if the steering wheel is positioned upside down.
. . .just goes to prove that you can train an old dog.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Crumm
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah it can be turned off every time but to me it's a pain. When i put truck in reverse I am looking out the mirrors ready to go somewhere but then I have to stop and hit a few buttons to make the noise stop. Also a pain during the winter when the sensors have snow on them 99% of the time. To me if the system is not useful in a particular application then disabling it should be a option. This truck has a camper package so it should be a option to disable it.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Garry&Gayle wrote:
When it starts going off look at the center gauge cluster between tach and speedo you should see the option displayed, just toggle down with the buttons on the left side of steering wheel to disable it for this time only. Just gotta do it each time though.

After towing for years, we finally started turning it off when putting the TC on. It usually pops up on the screen as soon as the first beeps start on our 2014. Not a big issue for us.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Crumm
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
I used to feel your pain!!! It is a real PITA with camper or even towing a trailer using the flat 4. I got the Tekonsha Emulator several years ago. Works good. Has many many miles on it and is covered in grime.

I also wired in an additional flat 4 for the utility trailer as when the emulator is in you can't use the factory flat 4.

Moisture hasn't shorted it out? Maybe I will try the one I have.

On s side note your 2011 should have the option of a permanent disable through the settings while using the admin MyKey.
06' Adventurer 90FWS

work2fish
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting this question and for the answer joeschmoe. Turning off the darn sensor as I was backing up each time has not been my first priority and was very distracting and annoying! I thought I had searched the manual high and low and could not find anything about how to do this permanently.
2011 Ford F-350, KR, 6.7L, 4X4, SRW, short bed
2007 Northstar 850SC truck camper
2002 Lund Fisherman 1700 w/ Suzuki DF140

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to feel your pain!!! It is a real PITA with camper or even towing a trailer using the flat 4. I got the Tekonsha Emulator several years ago. Works good. Has many many miles on it and is covered in grime.

I also wired in an additional flat 4 for the utility trailer as when the emulator is in you can't use the factory flat 4.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
When it starts going off look at the center gauge cluster between tach and speedo you should see the option displayed, just toggle down with the buttons on the left side of steering wheel to disable it for this time only. Just gotta do it each time though.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Owners Manuals can be downloaded in PDF.
Use "Control F" to bring up the PDF search box.
Search: Rear Sensor

Find:
"The system can be switched off through
the information display."
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

nomad297
Explorer