cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cleaning fresh water tank

Tikkamike
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 terry and I have not used it yet. it is now warm enough I am going to dewinterize it soon. I did a search on cleaning the fresh water tank but I am not coming up with anything other than dead links.. does someone have a link or can someone tell me how to clean my water tank.. it seems like some bleach would do it but I am sure there is a correct procedure.
9 REPLIES 9

exioum
Explorer
Explorer
therink wrote:
Pretty straight forward. I add about 1/2 cup bleach, fill tank with water, run each faucet to purge lines with bleach solution, let sit for about a day, drain tank, refill with water, drain tank, refill with water and then purge out all lines with non bleach water. Good to go.

That's about as basic as it gets and it works. The only thing I do differently is to drive it a few miles or less with the bleach in it. Kinda shake things up...
exioum

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
A search on cleaning your fresh water tank turned up no results? LOL

I also use Sodium Dichlor. 1 teaspoon per 100 gallons...
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a recent post on another forum just a day or so ago and it was brought out that after using the chlorine, drain and refill and put in a small amount of hydrogen peroxide (usually a couple of table spoons per 15 gals of water).

Another method of removing the chlorine taste is to put in a small box of baking soda with a full tank of water.

Either way, run the water mix through all faucets until odor is gone. Drain and refill with the amount of fresh water you normally keep in the tank.

Hope this helps

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Sodium Dichlor for years and then using Sodium Bicarbonate to further clean and get rid taste.

Hondavalk
Explorer
Explorer
Dakota98 wrote:
CLICKY

X2, 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons, pump through system, let sit at least 3 hours, drain and rinse. ๐Ÿ™‚

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty straight forward. I add about 1/2 cup bleach, fill tank with water, run each faucet to purge lines with bleach solution, let sit for about a day, drain tank, refill with water, drain tank, refill with water and then purge out all lines with non bleach water. Good to go.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Not saying this is right or wrong but I start by filling my tank and draining it, then fill it with bleach added and let it sit for awhile, drain it. Then I add bleach again, add water and pump it through the system, let it sit for about 4 hours. Drain tank again and connect to the hose, flush system out and we are good to go. It is the only time I use the tank and the pump gets used for this plus putting the antifreeze in. Before starting this I add some bleach to the hose to clean that out as well.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
CLICKY
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitizing-your-rv-fresh-water-system.html
Traveling with my best friend my wife!