cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seafoam Treatment

Ldworak
Explorer
Explorer
I can't keep my Onan KY4000....H generator running unless I spray a continual mist of seafoam treatment into the air cleaner. Would this mean carb issue or control board issue?

Thanks
Len
Len
24 REPLIES 24

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to you all.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
The Texan wrote:
I get mine from NAPA. They have a sale 2X a year and I stock up on Seafoam and what ever else I need then.

All of the auto parts stores around here carries it.
Yep and all of them want $11.99 to $13.99 a can plus never put it on sale. I'll take NAPA sale price of $6.99 or $7.99 all day long.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Texan wrote:
I get mine from NAPA. They have a sale 2X a year and I stock up on Seafoam and what ever else I need then.

All of the auto parts stores around here carries it.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
jwmII wrote:
More than likely a fuel delivery problem. Tell us what year your generator is. If it is 8-10 years old the rubber fuel hose from the gas tank is probably hardened and cracked and sucking air. That will give you the condition you describe.

What part of this OP statement don't you understand ?
Quote:
I pull the fuel line off the carb while trying to start and its being presented in a continuous flow.

What's hard to understand.....is why are you so picky?..:S

The poster is trying to help - maybe skipped some of the posts, as yours certainly deserves...:R

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
JaxDad wrote:
Gjac wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
You don't have to crank the engine to check fuel flow.
The fuel pump is electric, and will run in the prime (off) position of the "start/stop" button

Gjac wrote:
I would disconnect the fuel line and crank the eng, does the fuel shoot out? If not disconnect the intake side of the line and suck on it then put your finger over it and see if it hold vacuum. I use a clear tube on the line to see the fuel. If your line is good and you get fuel out of the pump I would put the intake line into a gal of gas and a half can of Seafoam and run it for an hr under load after you flood the carb with Seafoam and let it sit per the instructions on the can.
I don't have prime on mine.

If you hold the 'off' button down the fuel pump will run to prime the genny.
Not on my 20 year old Kohler. I wish it did.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slownsy wrote:
Where you get the sea foam from.
Frank

You can get it at Walmart and if not there I have found it at Amazon at the same price.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
jwmII wrote:
More than likely a fuel delivery problem. Tell us what year your generator is. If it is 8-10 years old the rubber fuel hose from the gas tank is probably hardened and cracked and sucking air. That will give you the condition you describe.

What part of this OP statement don't you understand ?
Quote:
I pull the fuel line off the carb while trying to start and its being presented in a continuous flow.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Where you get the sea foam from.
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gjac wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
The fuel pump is electric, and will run in the prime (off) position of the "start/stop" button

Gjac wrote:
I would disconnect the fuel line and crank the eng, does the fuel shoot out? If not disconnect the intake side of the line and suck on it then put your finger over it and see if it hold vacuum. I use a clear tube on the line to see the fuel. If your line is good and you get fuel out of the pump I would put the intake line into a gal of gas and a half can of Seafoam and run it for an hr under load after you flood the carb with Seafoam and let it sit per the instructions on the can.

If you hold the 'off' button down the fuel pump will run to prime the genny.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
jwmII

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJsfishin wrote:

Gjac wrote:

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer

Gjac wrote:
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
How old is the gas?