cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anti freeze in water heater

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
When the tech winterized our MH, the anti freeze went through the water heater ( check valve failed).
Is it OK to wait until we dewinterize in the spring to flush out the water heater? (our MH is in storage).
Thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r
23 REPLIES 23

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
From another forum
RV anti freeze

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

Some people do believe the RV anti-freeze is completely toxic free. I do not!

Read the label on the bottle. Then read the labels on the foods you buy. You've been consuming it your whole life, unless you never have bought anything canned, bottled, bagged or boxed at the grocery store.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
RV antifreeze is non toxic. There are no chemicals in it to make you sick. Just flush out the tank real good in the spring and you'll be good to go!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
UH OH thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
No danger, but I accidentally got some in the water heater and had a heck of a time getting it totally removed. Pulled the plug and drained the heater twice and still got foam in the hot water untill it finally got completely out of the system.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
anon125 wrote:
UH OH thanks
why not?
it will only be a tiny bit
I wouldn't worry about the rv antifreeze being toxic, many have left it in season after season before installing bypass valves, beside this I don't drink hot water. If you are concerned about it let the water run through it in the spring for 10 minutes or so to rinse it out.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
this past winter while in socal one of the valves was making a terrible noise. so a grumbly tech took out the middles of both to stop the noise.
so we got new ones from Winnebago to replace them when the rig was winterized.
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Next winter shut off the valve to the water heater then drain all the water out of your water heater via the drain plug on the bottom of the water tank.

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone
2006 Itasca sunova 29r

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Antifreeze in the water heater is not a problem as long as it's the potable RV antifreeze. Every year when we winterize I intentionally put at least a gallon of antifreeze in the water heater. I did this on our 2001 Adventurer for over 12 years and do the same for our 2013 Adventurer. The drain plug is slightly above the bottom so there will always be some water in it unless it's flushed out.

Atwood says there's no problem with leaving a small amount of water in the heater. However ice in the heater makes it harder to flush and fill the system when we want to use the motorhome in the winter months.

As for the check valve failing I'm assuming you mean the one on the exit side. The one on the inlet side keeps hot water from flowing back into the fresh water tank. The one on the exit side is supposed to keep cold water from entering the heater when a cold water faucet is opened.

It's more likely the tech didn't turn the winterizing valve to shut off the flow of water to the heater. Changing a check valve can be a miserable job if your heater is in a hard to reach place. Be sure the valve actually failed (not that the tech forgot to switch the winterizing valve) before you attempt to replace it.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are just fine. RV anti freeze after all, is made for RVs. Many people that don't have by-pass systems filled their hot water heaters. Flush the system out in the spring and you'll be good to go.
Brian

anon125
Explorer
Explorer
well if we stored the MH at home that would be easy.
it is stored miles away!
thanks for your help
2006 Itasca sunova 29r