cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caruthersville, MO to Corpus Christi, TX options

Hankjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Wanting some options - usually go to FL, but decided to head to TX this year. We stop at Caruthersville, MO to dewinterize.
Usually sight see along the routes we take - We don't hurry down - Want a good route with some sight seeing along the way -- need ideas. Probably heading out middle of Jan.
3 REPLIES 3

Hankjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Corpus Christi is on the east coast of TX. Carurthersville MO - we don't want a direct route - we're not sure if we want to go down MS and then over I-10 toward TX or down Louisana and along I10 toward TX. Is there much in Louisana in North or Mid area in January to see?

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We often go through Caruthersville on our way to Kentucky. I'm sure you know that the direct route to Texas would be south on I-55 then I-40 to Little Rock and I-30 on to Texarkana.

On that route you could still stop at Maumelle Park near Little Rock. It is one of the nicest public parks we've ever stayed in. That would be just 225 miles from Caruthersville.

Another 260 miles would put you into Tyler State Park near Tyler, Texas. In fact you'd have several choices in this part of East Texas: Caddo Lake State Park is unique, also Daingerfield State Park.

If you want to get off the freeway you could continue on I-155 onto US 412 into Walnut Ridge or Jonesboro, Arkansas and pick up (for example) US 67. We have followed this route a couple of time. We have stayed at Jacksonport State Park (off US 67) and Wolley Hollow State Park in Arkansas. If you want to really take your time, a nice stop would be Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas.

These are just some observations that come to mind. Lots of possible variations.

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Where in Tx? West? Coast? Big Bend?

Mid January is an iffy time for Mo,Ark,OK, and northern Tx (ie I-40).
May need options for I-40, I-40/I-30, or I-55 further south (say Jackson MS and pick up I-20) before you head west - depending on the weather.