cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water in air filter

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Had the oil changed in our 2002 Itasca Sunrise 32v with the ford V10, shop called to tell me the air filter compartment was full of water. Talked with the tech at the ford dealership we use, and he didn't have a clue how water got into the air filter compartment. Anyone else have this issue?
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V
13 REPLIES 13

Femrace
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGa, we did do that already and unfortunately they can't find one either. I was hoping to find something on eBay but no luck there either. Thanks for the response!

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Femrace wrote:
The part number is XC3Z-9F843-AA , as referenced from TSB 04-24-22. My mom needs this for her motorhome and I have not been able to find it anywhere. We have called the Ford office where all the old parts go and they don't have any. They do not know where to find one either. I have a friend that works at a dealership and it is no longer listed in their systems either. I have checked everything on the internet that I can think of and nothing. Any idea where I can find one ?

Ford dealers are tied into a dealer to dealer system where they list old and obsolete parts in their inventory. This includes a couple of outfits that buy up surplus parts from dealers. Get your Ford dealer to check his system and it will list the part availability by dealer ranked by distance from you.

They have found me mirrors for my '91 Ranger, and OEM headlights too. Each dealer sets the price they want for the part.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Femrace
Explorer
Explorer
The part number is XC3Z-9F843-AA , as referenced from TSB 04-24-22. My mom needs this for her motorhome and I have not been able to find it anywhere. We have called the Ford office where all the old parts go and they don't have any. They do not know where to find one either. I have a friend that works at a dealership and it is no longer listed in their systems either. I have checked everything on the internet that I can think of and nothing. Any idea where I can find one ?

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
fourmat wrote:
Very common Ford dealer should be well aware TSB has been out a long time

X2, they should have looked it up and known......

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone, especially corkie. Showed this to my ford dealer today, their going to chase one down for me. Looks like I can do the fix. Thanks again eryone.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

blawless
Explorer
Explorer
The previous owner of my 2005 installed a complete banks system from air intake to exhaust. The air dam is quite large in the front of the filter canister. I've never had any water issues in the filter etc.. I've driven through some nasty storms with no ill effects, that large intake is right there behind the grill. However the air filter is a permanent oil coated one that can be cleaned with a mild soap solution let dry then oiled and reinstalled. I wonder if banks solved the problem by using the oil coated filter to prevent water from getting in the system. It's worked flawlessly so far.
Retired and enjoying it!

2005 Coachmen Aurora 3380 MBS Class A F53 V10 Banks Power System.
2014 Jeep Compass Toad
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 255B 5th wheel
2003 F150 King Ranch Supercrew 4X4

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem on our 2001 Adventurer on the Ford chassis. The initial fix by our local Ford garage was to turn the intake snorkel to the side and shield it with a rubber flap.

After the initial fix we didn't have any more problems. However a couple years later Ford came out with the TSB and the "snorkel" kit. Since our motorhome was still under warranty the Ford garage installed it at no charge.

There don't seem to be any new snorkel kits available from Ford. You might get lucky and find one of the few remaining as previously mentioned or check out salvage yards. If all else fails you can do a fix similar to the original one done on our motorhome.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
Google Corkey05's part number XC3Z-9F843-AA and you'll find at least 3 possible suppliers that indicate they still have this part available. My Google search indicated the lowest price available was a little under $50.00. I replaced mine several years ago (which fixed the problem) and it was not too difficult to install.

Good luck.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
I had the problem of water in the Air Filter on my 06 Winnebago,. Till I found out why.
The dash AC had the drain line hanging right over the intake of the air Filter. Put a longer hose on it a that took care of it.
I kept thinking it was rain water blowing in while driving, But after not driving in any rain there was still water in the filter. Then I discovered it was coming from the AC.
I have the Vortec engine, looks just like the old Chevy 454 engine.

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
Very common Ford dealer should be well aware TSB has been out a long time
2009 Challenger

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem. The ford part was unavailable, so my mechanic fashioned a shield from a plastic bottle and a few tie wraps. Works well so far!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
There is a intake "Snorkel" available from Ford to correct this issue. I made the change on my 05 F53 and it worked perfect.

The part number is XC3Z-9F843-AA , as referenced from TSB 04-24-22

Photo PDF of install

Short Version

-Corkey
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
That was a fairly common problem with them and there should be a TSB correcting it. I had the problem with an RV that I had.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie