cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadians filling at the pump in USA

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that it is not well known how a Canadian Credit Card can be used at a gas pump in the USA without a zip code.

All you have to do is insert the card and when it asks for the zip code just put in the 3 numbers from your Canadian Postal Code followed by two zeros.

For example my postal code is L9T 0P2, so when purchasing gas and it asks for a zip cope I enter 90200.

Works for me a saves going into the store with the CC.

Hope this helps someone. May not work everywhere but for me going to and coming home from Florida from Ontario this works very well.
37 REPLIES 37

UEL
Explorer
Explorer
I have found adding "99" to the three Canadian Postal Code numerals works better than the "00". We fill up mostly at Sams Club but it works everywhere else as well.

roddiemacdonald
Explorer
Explorer
Tks eh, I'll giver 'er a go

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it does (generally) we have the same card and bank, it's worked 99% except in a station in Monahans TX and one in Westmoreland
CA ,in backward locations. I'm referring to the 3 diets from your post code followed by 2 zeros. Let BMO know you are travelling.

roddiemacdonald
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is an old Post, but I'm hoping someone will see it, I have an American Master Card, through my Canadian BMO, does this system work on the Am MC?

Heading south in a couple weeks, just wondering.

69BBC
Explorer
Explorer
Contact your credit card company. They will give you a 5 digit code that will act as your zip code when used in the states, No problem with mine last two years, 3 trips down and back to Florida. No drama.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Check the MasterCard.ca web page. Here's the deal: http://www.mastercard.ca/education/travel-tips/US-gas-code.html

On a recent 8,000 km to Florida and back, it worked every time.

VagabondRetiree
Explorer
Explorer
pawatt wrote:
Can you put in a random USA zip?

No, it has to match the postal code the card is registered to.

Lenny_K
Explorer
Explorer
Good response 4x4Dodger. I've personally always liked your posts. You did post one titled something like snowgeese which I found hilarious. It mysteriously disappeared. What happened to it?
Lenny and Ros
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LTZ Duramax 4x4 CC Dually, Banks Speed Brake
2012 Montana 3400 RL 680 Watts Solar, 440 Amps of Batteries, GP-ISW2000-12 Inverter, Trimetric 2020, EMSHW50C, Sailun Tires

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
moisheh wrote:
You can always count on 4x4 to make rude comments. To all Canadians. Do not let him bother you. He has no friends and hates Canadians.

Moisheh

LOL...For someone who doesn't know me you are very quick to criticize. Which you seem wont to do at every opportunity.

But I am curious;

How would you know how many friends I have or not?

Please find in my post where you think I was rude...you know the post, that one above I started: "With all due respect..."

If you find something I'll apologize to the person I quoted.

As for hating Canadians...that's a bold and rather contentious accusation to make. To say nothing of being just dead wrong.

I have lived in far too many other countries to think like that. I dont hate any nationality or anyone for that matter.

But I do dislike misinformation and I try to bring some perspective and facts to the discussion...rather than name-calling.

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
v10superduty wrote:
Just to add a little postal code humour (humor ?) to this thread.
Last time I mentioned it, mod deleted it? Kinda over sensitive I thought.. ๐Ÿ™‚
If you live in Murillo, Ontario (little town outside Thunder Bay) you would be trying to use 02000..
Full postal code for town is P0T 2G0.
Found that out from an OPP as he was picking up his new truck.
Struck me as ironic and a bit funny. Sound it out if you don't get it yet.
For US folks OPP is the Ontario Provincial Police.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Area code for my cottage J0X 1N0

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
Just to add a little postal code humour (humor ?) to this thread.
Last time I mentioned it, mod deleted it? Kinda over sensitive I thought.. ๐Ÿ™‚
If you live in Murillo, Ontario (little town outside Thunder Bay) you would be trying to use 02000..
Full postal code for town is P0T 2G0.
Found that out from an OPP as he was picking up his new truck.
Struck me as ironic and a bit funny. Sound it out if you don't get it yet.
For US folks OPP is the Ontario Provincial Police.. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
From what I understand, this trick works best on the east side of the Mississippi. On the West side, it's touch and go whether it'll work or not. No idea why, that's just what I read years ago here on this site.

I, for one, have had no problems up and down the East coast for years using this.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
My "zip code" from my postal code is 01000. It worked at some places in FL but not in Texas.

I don't understand why folks get in such a twist.
Because it doesn't work in most places.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
DHDW&2dogs wrote:
Replacing letters whitt zeros not not work for all postal codes. Mine is K0E1P0 which would make a zip code of 00100

It should work just fine. What the card system backend does is match your credit card number with it's billing address numerics in the postal code.

... Eric