cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downsizing from TT to Hybrid

GamecockGal21
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. We just sold our 11 year old Travel Trailer (30 ft bunkhouse) and husband wants to go to a much smaller 15RB AR-ONE Starcraft Hybrid. He wants to tow less weight so we can travel further than before. We have had so many "mishaps" that come with camping (3 blow outs on one trip) that I am very worried about the "tent" end being trouble waiting to happen.

I'm also skeptical as I'm used to much more space and storage, but we definitely want a lighter weight camper. We don't spend a whole lot of time in the camper except for sleeping or when it's nasty outside, but when I do, I don't like to be cramped. I also really enjoy having my own bathroom.

We have a 16 yr old son (doesn't really get excited about anything) and 14 yr old daughter (excited about a "new" camper"). Also usually take our 2 dogs with us (35 lbs each).

What I'm wondering, is have any of you ever "downsized" like this and do you have any pros or cons about going from fully enclosed to hybrid? Thanks in advance!
17 REPLIES 17

Burnt_Marshmall
Explorer
Explorer
TheCanells wrote:
RinconVTR wrote:
Two teenagers, 2 dogs, and not to be cramped inside on a rainy day?

A Hybrid is definitely not for you. Stay away!

Down size into a range of 23-26 foot TT.

If they are staying in the 23-26 foot lenght range, with 2 teens and 2 dogs, a hybrid is definitely what they want to look at if they don't want to feel cramped on a rainy day. The floor space in a 23 foot hybrid with a slide is MUCH greater than the floorspace in a 23 foot ttThe floor space in a 23 foot hybrid with a slide is MUCH greater than the floorspace in a 23 foot tt.

That's right. Our friends with the 30' TT's are amazed at the floor space we have.

aepowell
Explorer
Explorer
TheCanells wrote:
RinconVTR wrote:

If your husband also wants easier towing, its not all about weight when it comes to TT's. Consider width and height. Look for some under 8 foot wide, some with build in vs built over frames to reduce height, and some with shaped for less air resistance.

I get the move not to buy another one especially with two teenagers, there is a lot in question and college right around the corner.

If they are staying in the 23-26 foot lenght range, with 2 teens and 2 dogs, a hybrid is definitely what they want to look at if they don't want to feel cramped on a rainy day. The floor space in a 23 foot hybrid with a slide is MUCH greater than the floorspace in a 23 foot tt.

What he said!!!
Anthony & Margie Powell
Sherman,Tx.
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B
2013 Ram Slt Lonestar(yea its got a HEMI)

Pucka1378
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased our very first trailer and we opted for a HTT because we got the most bang for our buck with it. It is 24' with two pop out beds. We have 2 teen boys and 1 large dog. On our first trip out it poured. We were very comfortable in our trailer. On this trip we had an extra dog with us. Between the 2 beds, couch and dinette we did not feel cramped at all. I was impressed!

TheCanells
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:

If your husband also wants easier towing, its not all about weight when it comes to TT's. Consider width and height. Look for some under 8 foot wide, some with build in vs built over frames to reduce height, and some with shaped for less air resistance.

I get the move not to buy another one especially with two teenagers, there is a lot in question and college right around the corner.

If they are staying in the 23-26 foot lenght range, with 2 teens and 2 dogs, a hybrid is definitely what they want to look at if they don't want to feel cramped on a rainy day. The floor space in a 23 foot hybrid with a slide is MUCH greater than the floorspace in a 23 foot tt.

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:

2 teens, I got em and they both bring friends. And 2 adults.

Triple bunk hybrid, perfect for us for a week with no hookups. Pets at the pet hotel.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer

Mainframe
Explorer
Explorer
When and if you do downsize, check out the Roo 19 it is a nice smaller hybrid with a lot of bells and whistles.

GamecockGal21
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input. At this time, we have decided to not purchase another TT. 😞

I don't know how long we will wait to get another one, but we will definitely take into consideration everything everyone has said.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 21' Hybrid for 10 years. Loved it but it was cramped and lacked storage. Despite our new 5'er being 10,000lbs and the Hybrid 5,000lbs there isn't much difference in mpg towing. Maybe 1-2mpg better with the Hybrid. Frontal area causing wind drag is more of an issue than weight.

No issues with the tent beds. Never leaked. If we had to fold up in the rain we then opened the trailer up once home to dry it out before putting it away. Condensation inside the tent occurred now and then. Putting fans up above the beds worked very well as did tent end covers. Most Hybrids have 12volt outlets above the bed intended for the use of fans that clamp onto the tent pole.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
You might look into finding a Trailmanor. Much lighter and because they are around 80" tall when folded down you have very little wind drag compared to a TT or Hybrid. Hard sided so you don't have to worry about canvas. We have been very pleased with ours so far.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
GamecockGal21 wrote:
Hello everyone. We just sold our 11 year old Travel Trailer (30 ft bunkhouse) and husband wants to go to a much smaller 15RB AR-ONE Starcraft Hybrid. He wants to tow less weight so we can travel further than before. We have had so many "mishaps" that come with camping (3 blow outs on one trip) that I am very worried about the "tent" end being trouble waiting to happen.

I'm also skeptical as I'm used to much more space and storage, but we definitely want a lighter weight camper. We don't spend a whole lot of time in the camper except for sleeping or when it's nasty outside, but when I do, I don't like to be cramped. I also really enjoy having my own bathroom.

We have a 16 yr old son (doesn't really get excited about anything) and 14 yr old daughter (excited about a "new" camper"). Also usually take our 2 dogs with us (35 lbs each).

What I'm wondering, is have any of you ever "downsized" like this and do you have any pros or cons about going from fully enclosed to hybrid? Thanks in advance!

Most hybrid owners were former popup owners and LOVE sleeping under canvas but want more amenities and less setup time.
They are willing to deal with the negatives of canvas to keep that "camping" feel.

Too many hybrid newbies never owned a popup but were drawn to them because of the open floorspace and sleeping capacity.
They end up selling it after one season because they never took the canvas in consideration.

And that Starcraft is a single axle and will be much worse to control when a tire blows.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend reading through the above referenced thread. I have several posts in there so I don't really want to rehash it all here.

Just know that the biggest take away is that hybrids aren't for everyone. But isn't it great that we have so many choices?
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Non-RVer these days, but we've had both a HTT and a TT. If you're thinking of daily stop/set up vs being in one place for a few days and then moving on, a hybrid can get old very quickly. We loved ours, but found on 2 longer trips that the daily set up/break down was a pain. Other than that, we loved our HTT. The TT took care of much of the daily chores and we loved every minute of it. Agree that you won't find much difference in fuel savings due to the frontal area. Somewhere around 10 mpg is a good day with either. We never had leakage issues, loved the openness of the HTT, loved the sounds of nature, never bothered with campground noise. No RV in our life due to a relocation to FL and other issues that came into play...miss it terribly, but that's the breaks. Recently noticed a resident in our community with an AR-one and it's a great looking smaller trailer...have not seen the inside. Strongly suggest you look closely at the must-have items you'd move from the TT to the HTT and consider storage space. That would be my only concern going to about half-size where you are now. Know going in that you'll definitely need to minimize, which we have found with our downsize move is a good thing. Less stuff = less maintenance = more time to enjoy life. Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
There is actually another active thread in this forum discussing this very topic... lots of relevant info along with more opinions than people posting 🙂
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28805497.cfm
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com