cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How we dewinterize our travel trailer

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
So we dewinterized a few weeks ago before our trip to Charleston and just got around to editing the video. Here's a quick video of how we do it if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/gtME3b-q7W8

A question for everyone else, do you sanitize your hot water heater? I do because it makes me feel better, won't hurt anything and doesn't add too much effort. I'm not sure it's necessary, so does anyone keep their hot water heater bypassed to avoid running bleach through it?
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
11 REPLIES 11

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
I sanitize my heater also. I've had a bacteria build up in the heater and the water smells like ****. So I use bleach, poured into the drain hole until it starts to run out. Close it up, fill, run water through the water lines and taps.Leave for 24 hours, drain, rinse and good to go. I've also caught beaver fever from a private campground water supply, hence the sanitizing, unless we're on city water.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 15 years of RVing, I've never sanitized my water heater. I just clean it our with the rinse wand tool.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never use the hot water for cooking just because every hot water heater I've drained has been disgusting. I never had any specific concerns with lead, but that water has always seemed mighty dirty. I try to keep the water from our hot water heater on the outside of my body for very non-scientific reasons;)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that there is little opportunity for lead to come from fittings in an RV or trailer. That said, I never use hot water for any consumption. More force of habit than anything else.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Am I the only person who sometimes fills the tea kettle with hot tap water to reduce the time it takes for it to boil?

If you do, you shouldn't. This is from the CDC:

In all situations, drink or cook only with water that comes out of the tap cold. Water that comes out of the tap warm or hot can contain much higher levels of lead. Boiling this water will NOT reduce the amount of lead in your water

Taken from this page: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/tips/water.htm.

-Michael

That page only deals with the situation where you have some problems with lead in the water. In an RV, there's basically nothing in the plumbing system that would leach lead: not the water heater, and certainly not the PEX plumbing or fittings. Some brass fixtures do have a bit of lead in the brass, but at least my RV fixtures have practically no metal of any sort in them, being the lightest and cheapest they could get away with. Water flowing through a faucet has pretty much no chance of leaching lead anyhow since it's not sitting there.

Plumbing in modern houses likewise has little or no chance of lead contamination. Lead/tin solder has been essentially banned for use in potable water systems since 1986, so houses that are newer than twenty years old should have basically no lead in the plumbing. Older houses may or may not have lead/tin solder in copper plumbing.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Am I the only person who sometimes fills the tea kettle with hot tap water to reduce the time it takes for it to boil?

If you do, you shouldn't. This is from the CDC:

In all situations, drink or cook only with water that comes out of the tap cold. Water that comes out of the tap warm or hot can contain much higher levels of lead. Boiling this water will NOT reduce the amount of lead in your water

Taken from this page: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/tips/water.htm.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the idea of knocking down any funk that may be in there from winter storage, so it's good to know I'm not that much of a weirdo. I flush the water heater then sanitize it with bleach and will keep doing it that way because it makes me happy;)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I like to sanitize my whole plumbing system, not just selected parts.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I sanitize the entire water system, hot water heater included. I can't think of any good reason not to do so. It sometimes means the first shower or two has a bit more chlorine than usual, even with a decently long rinse cycle through the heater.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I would just use a rinsing wand to rinse out the tank of water deposits, no need to sanitize since you don't drink the hot water.