cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

forest river quality?

JeepGuy
Explorer
Explorer
currently have a jayco and looking into a shamrock 21ss, hows the quality on the forest river products? and quirks they have that i should look for when looking at one?
19 REPLIES 19

Burnt_Marshmall
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2010 Roo 21SS bought in 2009. Only major problem was a leaky front bunk end that FR replaced and installed at no charge in 2014.

They are probably as good as the other major names you see out there. Although we want a TT, we will most likely replace this unit with a 23 IKSS.

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a Rockwood Roo 21SS (same as Shamrock), I *loved* that camper! The kids got bigger, but the trailer didn't, so we moved to another Roo ... the 23SS. I actually prefer the 21SS in many ways; I think it was better quality than our current 23SS. I often think I got a 21SS that had everything go right in the manufacturing process and a 23SS that was manufactured on an "off" day (or period of days). But it's still a good trailer.

Bottom line: The 23SS is still, in my opinion, a top-notch trailer and I'd go with Forest River again in a heartbeat.

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River is an interesting company. They have 23 manufacturing plants in the US making many different models of RV's from Class A's, Class C's, TT's, A Frames', 5th wheels, shuttle buses, park models, and even pontoon boats. They are part of the Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate.

That being said, I don't think their quality is any better, nor any worse, than any other manufacturer out there. On my coach, I had no minor problems, only one MAJOR problem where someone forgot to seal my overhang completely and I had a bad leak. But, FR responded quickly and covered all my repairs and replacement of my entertainment center.

As others have said, go to their user forum and you can get a lot of information. Not only are there a lot of experienced RV'ers there but they can really help anyone with a problem. Plus, there are a couple of FR employees that come on the forum occasionally to give us good information and help people with repairs.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
Starting our 11th season this weekend in our 2006 Roo 23SS purchased July 10 (or so), 2005, from RVWholesalers in Ohio.

I'd love to buy a new Roo 23WS, the enhanced 23SS with the wider rear aisle. But see no need to replace what I have yet. And the change from the booth to U-dinette eliminated the wonderful cabinet just inside the door on the left.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

Lonestar1836
Explorer
Explorer
We traded our 2008 Roo 21SS yesterday for a 2017 Roo 233S. Forest River quality has been great. Never a problem with the 21SS except the Magic Chef microwave and the less than optimal mattresses. The workmanship in the Roo itself was great. Never any structural issues, leaks, or problems. The quality has markedly improved since our purchase of the 21SS and is readily apparent in the new 233S.
Me
DW
DD X 2
Gunny and Marley
Ziggy the wonder dog (GSD) Oct 2000 - Nov 2012 - We miss you Pupper...

2009 Ford F-250 4X4 Lariat Supercrew
2017 Rockwood Roo 233S

We're the third thatched roof on the right.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We had the FR Roo 23SS and absolutely no problems. Made the change to a TT about 5 years later due to old-age issues (us, not the HTT) and never considered other than FR. Bought a 2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 and other than a small # of things the designers should have rethought, no problems. The price point of the FR, Jayco and others being close, we would likely buy another FR IF we were able to get back to camping. Oops are possible with any of the brands. Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Mainframe
Explorer
Explorer
Contact Matt, Tell Him Bill who just bought a 23ws from him gave you the email,
He is great to deal with.

mmcdermott@wholesalervclub.com

JeepGuy
Explorer
Explorer
prob a new one, unless i can find a newer used one

Mainframe
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Shamrock 23ws around 6 weeks ago, from Pgh area to Cincinatti to get it to save 3 grand. I am a retired Auto tech and am quite fussy about my campers, (I had a Kodiak hybrid before this one) I must say I am VERY impressed with my Shamrock, I am taking it out for the first trip this weekend, I have been "back yard camping/modding" in this since I bought it and am very pleased with how well it tows and with how it is made, Are you getting a new or used 21s? just wondered.

Good luck!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
JeepGuy wrote:
currently have a jayco and looking into a shamrock 21ss, hows the quality on the forest river products? and quirks they have that i should look for when looking at one?

apparently, none of those that answered, have a FR hybrid TT.
we've had our Roo(twin brand of the Shamrock)23SS for almost 10 years now. we've had a few issues but it's still going strong after all these years.

we loved the 21SS and it would've fit in our driveway better than the 23SS.
but the lack of kitchen counterspace was the killer for the DW.

the quality of the Roo/Shamrock line is close equal to Jayco and Starcraft. i consider these three to be the top hybrids made.

quirks are common to all brands, not just one brand.

i also recommend checking out Forest River Forums' Roo/Shamrock section.
it's the most active Shamrock/Roo owners forum on the internet.
lots of 21SS owners there and lots of posts about them.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Similar to most, better than some
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Asked and answered before. Search Forestriver or Forestriver quality. FR is conglomerate of 6 companies with multiple factories each. FR and Palomino offer second year warranty for low cost. Annual rally fixes anything on a FR product free. Factory repair seems easier to arrange than other brands.

FKT4387
Explorer
Explorer
We left crossroads for coachmen (FR) because of issues. So far has been great, but it may be too soon to tell. FR like Thor has different plants and division so there may be differences. Check out those previously mentioned sites. I used them before deciding.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can go to irv.com and forestriverforums.com and have enough reading to take up a couple of days. My take (and I traded my FR for a Montana) is FR is so big that quality depends on the factory in which they are made, some good and some bad.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD