cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping with cancer

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
In January of this year I was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma. I have begun a treatment plan which consists of 6 rounds of intense chemo over 18 weeks and end with a stem cell transplant. So far I have not had any issues with tolerating the treatment. I am wondering if camping will still be possible with this condition. Infections are my biggest fear due to my immune system being suppressed. Has anyone had any experience dealing with a similar situation?
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2016 Jayco 23 BHM
23 REPLIES 23

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
I have stage 4 liver cancer Stage 4 and go to the Cancer Treatment Center in Zion . We have been going there since last fall. They are great and we are planning or trip next winter to be close to Atlanta and I think some ware in the area where you are. They only do cancer and I would not be hear now if not for them.We have a 36 ft Winnebago and tow care and we are going on our first trip this weekend. My God Bless you and we send prayers your way.

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you
She has 1 more treatment and then the checkup
Wont need to be seen for 90 days
Hope to get camping in
Tomorrow we are going to Grand Canyon
Bucket list 1 at a time
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
bbaker2001thank you.it has been a long road indeed.Best wishes for success and continued prayers your way.I am glad you have found a place to receive treatment.
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
So much congratulations, we know it is a long road

Thank you so much for prayers, we believe they do work

Update
Valley Dr and UCSF said nothing good
Came down to Cancer Centers of America, and this place is amazing.
Have had 3 treatments with 3 to go.
They have RV hookups right on site, and they treat you as special.
No guarantees, but a chance
I wish we would have tried here first

Again thanks for the prayers

Those who say winning isn't everything has never fought cancer
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a wonderful update for my RV family.....The Dr says I am in REMISSION.Thank you to all of you for your prayers and support throughout my journey. Praise be to God for his mercy and grace. I am back to work and planning a full summer of camping with the family this year. bbaker2001 I am sorry to hear that the treatment has not yielded favorable results. It has been a while since you posted this update so I would just like to let you know that I am praying for you and your wife. Gods grace and peace to both of you.
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately after 13 months of treatment the Dr. Has said he can go no further.
we are scheduled into UCSF and then into Cancer Center of America on February 19th for other opinions

I thought I asked the question before but cant find it. We are going Stockton to Phoenix
is best route thru Barstow or i5 210 10
seems like lots of traffic going south. Will be pulling 30 ft 5er
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
An update on my Memorial weekend trip: it was a huge success. The weather held out for the most part with some rain on Sunday night. It was great to spend all that time with the ones I love. I just got back from another 2 day chemo treatment in New Hampshire and all went well,praise God. Thanks for a the support from my camping family here too.
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bbaker2001 I am sorry to hear that it has returned. Cancer can be so invasive into all aspects of ones life. It goes without saying that your wifes health will take precedent over all other things. So many of my plans are based on a "we will have to see how I feel". If I can go through with planned activities it is great,If I can't everyone understands.I pray all goes well for your wife and you.
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
after the 2 surgeries we were told cancer free. 3 months later at follow-up am told cancer has returned in vaginal cancer. waiting on Biopsy. have a PET scan Monday. wife is really down, new truck and 5er, and cant go anywhere yet. we really are at a loss of how to handle it. we have 3 months scheduled on Oregon coast. is it possible to have the treatment done while on the road? Coos Bay and south.

our prayers are with all.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the good wishes CWDoc115. I like your patient advice,I will follow it. Roy&Lynne,I would surely rather be at a campfire. We have put together a campout for Memorial weekend.My mother-inlaw,sister-inlaw My son,daughter and the grandkids are getting together. We usually don't do holiday weekends but this times out just right with my treatments,so we going for it. I pray for good weather.
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
You know if you love to camp, I would go for it, especially if your options are staying at home or sitting by a campfire.

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
There are several cg's surrounding Jacksonville, Fl that advertise that they are close to several of "the best" cancer treatment centers in the area, so I would think it can be done. As a retired nurse, I hope your treatment goes well.
As I've told many of my patients;

Sit!
Stay!
Heal! :B

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chock Full o Nuts,first of all let me say that I am glad you have won the battle and thanks for the input. As I have only begun with things I am still feeling them out. So far my counts have not been "really" low,as to need a transfusion or anything,but my energy is definatly down. My camping trips would be limited to the nearby state parks that are 20 min. from my house.I would still be within 1/2 hour from a local hospital and my Dr. I guess we will take each day at a time and see what happens.
2016 Jayco 23 BHM

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
I went through surgery and chemo for breast cancer between Oct'15 and April'16. My blood work got all kinds of skewed--very anemic, white counts all over the place. I ended up hospitalized for sepsis after my first chemo. We had thought to go camping during that time, but after the sepsis I decided better of it. I just didn't want to be away from home if I had complications again. Of course, your mileage may vary. I'm done with treatment now, considered "cured" by my oncologist. We have begun camping again and it's been great!
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!