cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gray Water Drainage

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
Our Gray Water doesn't dump very well. We have to drive back and forth to "shake" it out to get it to empty completely. Is there anything (vinegar??) that we could safely pour down the drain to help it drain better?
2004 Pleasure-Way Plateau TD
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement
9 REPLIES 9

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
We've only owned the camper for a couple of months, but it's 14 years old. Don't know for sure if the gauge is accurate, but it seems to be. I did a "test" last week, tried putting two bucketfuls of hot water down the sink and then measuring what came out. All the hot water didn't come out, and the gauge said it was still half full, so I left the gray water valve partially open while driving. The gauge now says it's empty, so I assume it emptied completely during the drive. How would I know if there's any blockage in the system?
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
lucytravel12 wrote:
We've only owned the camper for a couple of months, but it's 14 years old. Don't know for sure if the gauge is accurate, but it seems to be. I did a "test" last week, tried putting two bucketfuls of hot water down the sink and then measuring what came out. All the hot water didn't come out, and the gauge said it was still half full, so I left the gray water valve partially open while driving. The gauge now says it's empty, so I assume it emptied completely during the drive. How would I know if there's any blockage in the system?

Oh good lord...

You don't have a problem.
Drain lines come out the side of tanks so some liquid is always left when normally draining them.
Tanks also can sag a bit. Nothing abnormal about how your tank(s) are draining.

Waste tank level indicators/monitors are notoriously inaccurate when new let alone 14 yrs old.

And please don't drive down the roadways/highways with dump valve open----even grey water.
No one behind you appreciates that stuff blowing on their vehicles besides dumping grey is illegal in many states.
And grey can be just as nasty as black water.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
yes you can put vinegar in the tank. we use cheap liquid detergent and borax, with a little water, a half cup each after we dump to keep the smells away.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Check you AAV under the sink. It may be stuck closed and not allowing air to go into the tank to replace the water that's going out.

Ron

That would mean roof vent is blocked

AAVs are downstream of sink/shower 'P traps so that when dumping grey tank 'P' traps don't get sucked dry

A non opening AAV would not slow/stop grey tank from draining properly.

OP........

Has grey tank always been a problem draining or is this issue new?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check you AAV under the sink. It may be stuck closed and not allowing air to go into the tank to replace the water that's going out.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Empty completely? I gave up years ago , when it slows to a dribble i shut it off and roll on.
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Has it always been this way or is this something new?
Maybe park on a slope or block up the wheels on one side or another to get a better down angle for draining.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Usually gray tanks don't get blocked.
Are you sure the drain valve is opening all the way and, there are no kinks or bends in the drain line?

Consider trying The Geo Method to clean the tank.