cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous..no, anxious about first long trip

viddsk
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I will be taking our first long RV trip this fall from Wisconsin to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. The plan is to take about 3-4 weeks from start to finish. We've taken 2-week trips, but the kids were still coming home from school on weekends.

SO, how do I get past the nervousness of leaving the house, leaving our baby (dog) 😉 with our daughter, and everything that goes with leaving your house??

Any insight from those who have 'been there-done that' would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!
19 REPLIES 19

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The OP has completed the trip and it went well. Folks need to read the posts to keep up-to-date. 🙂
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Four weeks is a lot for many people. It is natural to have some apprehension. Just remember that the trip is supposed to be fun. If at any time it isn't, slow down, take a rest day, shorten your trip. Do what ever it takes to get comfortable. The most important thing on a long trip is getting along with your travelling partners, not seeing everything.

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We once took a trip and at the time our area of town was experiencing home break ins, so we had a friend stay at our home for 3 weeks. We left our phone number, blank checks, and checked in weekly. Gave me some piece of mind.

Letting your neighbors know and having family(friends, co-workers, church family,...) stop by to check things should give you piece of mind.

You could pay a house sitter.

If you live in a smaller town(like myself) you might let your local police know, and they would most likely do more frequent drive bys.

Good Luck.

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Que sera, sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera
What will be, will be
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for returning and giving us your outcome. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take your baby with you. Many, many rvers, both short timers and full timers travel with their pets. Just get him/her used to the rv before the long trip by spending time inside with favorite toys, a treat, playing and maybe a weekend trip. Most pets travel very well.

viddsk
Explorer
Explorer
I know it's been a while, but our trip was WONDERFUL! There was so much to see and do, I hardly had time to fret about home. Thanks for all the responses and advice. Now....on to planning our next trip.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
You're "over-thinking" your trip! You should have a back-up plan (insurance) in place for road side problems, if they happen deal with them WHEN they happen.

Next try to "plan" your near future not your whole trip at once. It's great to develop an itinerary to use as a "general guide" but remember this is a vacation NOT a mission. I try to look at where we're going to be and see what if anything there is there that we want to see and plan from there.

Like others on here have said with cell phones and laptops you can stay in touch very easily. Face Time or Skype when you can, you'll be amazed as to how well that works!

Look at your whole trip as a series of "mini" one or two day trips, continuing until your reach Yellowstone or where ever it is your goal is to be. That might help to take the stress out of your vacation.

Dan

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Good to see I'm not as different as I thought? Even after trips from Florida to Arizona and Utah as well as Tennessee, I still get nervous. I think I tend to "overanalyze" things; thinking about what could go wrong.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I'm normal after all! I love planning my camping trips but when the time comes to hook up and go, I don't want to leave home. Once on the road I start to relax and when I reach my destination, I'm fine. Now that I'm retired and I go to Florida for a few months in the winter, the same thing happens. I had a hard time shutting the house down to go and thought about just hibernating in for the winter and not telling anyone I hadn't left. Once I was in our place in Florida, I didn't want to leave there and didn't think much about my house up north. I guess it's human nature and the nesting instinct. Either way, once I'm home that feeling like I never left hits and all is well. Don't overdo the lists either! If someone at home has a key, they can check on anything that comes to mind. I'm also trying not to take so much with me - there are Walmarts everywhere! Remember that you're lucky to be able to enjoy a trip like you have planned, and make the most of it.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

GramaofAAAA
Explorer
Explorer
I think I always overthink our trips. But, we are full-timers so no house to worry about. The first couple of days I'm always thinking "what have I forgotten to do?" But by the 3rd day I just relax and enjoy the trip. We are sitting in our old home town...finishing up all those crazy things we needed to do. Taxes, doctor's visits, grandkids spoiling...you know! We are planning a trip to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone leaving around the 1st of June. We did the Moab, Arches, Zion and Grand Canyon areas on our way south last fall. Just try to relax and enjoy your trip... 🙂

viddsk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies! I know once we're on the road, I'll be able to concentrate on the fun ahead. I'm a detail person, so I've got all kinds of lists going.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off the water to the house AND shut off the water heater!
We have four internet cameras scattered in and outside the house so we can see what is going on from anywhere with our smart phones. That helps to aleviate that separation feeling.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Our first big trip with an RV went from Tucson to Key West and back on a motorcycle pulling a tent trailer. We took it one day at a time. We just went to Florida again, this time with the bike in the back of the toy hauler and didn't even consider the 2,000 miles one way. Something you get used.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE