cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You might be a modaholic if . . . .

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
When something breaks on your RV, you are secretly glad because it will give you an excuse to develop a clever and inexpensive work-around.

No one (other than you) at your day job has perpetually black-rimmed fingernails.

You shake hands with someone and they ask you how come your hands are so calloused, even though you have a desk job.

You have various RV spare parts and extra materials squirreled away in the rafters of your garage, just in case they are needed.

There is almost nothing left on your RV that is unmodified stock equipment.

Your stick house is suffering from deferred maintenance, but your RV is not.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
23 REPLIES 23

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
What if they built these things the way we want them? We'd have nothing to do but say how we still could've done it better..........Oh the life of a "modder"!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

nvreloader
Explorer
Explorer
My toys

There is NO way that will ever happen,
I'll return it back to the basic (slightly used) condition,
the new solar install will remain with me.......... except for the solar panel feet, I have plenty of stock still left, to make better ones. :B

my toys wrote:
When you trade in your rv you have to explain how some things work to the dealer.

Tia,
Don
2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to revive this thread -- more horrifying truths have been revealed:

You might just be a modaholic if . . .

-- Your workshop gets vacuumed more often than your stick house.

-- You no longer notice that you have grease under your fingernails.

-- Your wife no longer notices that you have grease under your fingernails.

-- You no longer notice that your wife has grease under her fingernails.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a related note -- when you sell your heavily modified Rv to a private party, part of the deal is that you have to stay in touch with him for several months to answer his questions about "what does this switch do?" and "where did you put the battery fuse?" and so forth.

True story, by the way.

He eventually stopped asking questions. I don't know if he figured it all out or else just gave up.
About our trailer

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
my toys wrote:
When you trade in your rv you have to explain how some things work to the dealer.

Ya you have to give the dealer a walk thru !!
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

my_toys
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2008 Nissan Pathfinder

Nancy-USAF Veteran; Dear Hubby Joe-USAF Retired

Why do we have to push 1 for English?

dannytas
Explorer
Explorer
DW, questions me each time we bring another rv home...why can't you just leave it alone? All of us, RVers, want our's just the way we want it. I don't care if you change to leds or remodel the whole camper.
And you're right, when we get it to where we want it...we'll go out and get another one to start all over.
There's a certain satisfaction when you post the mods on the forum or when you show what you did, to another RVer or even when camping you use the "mod", because you realize the convenience that you created for yourself...
2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
If my father wasn't dead I would think that was from him.

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another,

"You might be a modder if"

The second you get home with your brand new $XX,XXX trailer you start planning out which mods to start with!!

I didn't have our OR home more than a week and had a plan for the things the factory "got wrong" HAHA Don't know if I will ever get it right

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
YC, I have heard that stuff called "magic smoke." As in, "Oh, no, that device won't work any more, you released the magic smoke when you crossed the wires!"

It's amazing how often I get a whiff of that stuff -- I can tell you that it does not smell very good.

One more: "You might be a modder if . . . . you can tell you've had a really good day of doing projects on your RV (crouching and bending and lifting), because you ended it with the maximum dosage of ibuprofen."
About our trailer

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Ditto: I stopped writing the mods down when it went over 100 by a long shot. It is indeed a hobby and as an electronic tech I can improve just about everything if I don't let the smoke out first.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
My story is more along the, not satisfied with! We have a large teardrop and when it was being built I obtained marine LED lights in place of the cheap RV version.
I imported solar panel mounts from China, a gas and shower point from the UK. Hacked a 5,000 BTU window shaker that feeds through hoses into the side of the tear. Adapted an automotive heater core computer case fan solar hot water pump to use water from our water heater to heat the tear when boondocking, and substituted two three speed computer case fans in place of a Fantastic Fan.

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
And once you get it exactly the way you want it........you sell it so you can start over!

Oh that is so true!!!
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
And once you get it exactly the way you want it........you sell it so you can start over!
And.... You work on your camper while out camping!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT