cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pics of my new wood flooring

wrybread
Explorer
Explorer
Finally installed some "wood" flooring in my Rv. I've always wanted to do this to an Rv, and it was surprisingly easy. No more heinous beige carpet everywhere, and infinitely easier to clean.

I used Allure flooring from Home Depot. It took 2.5 boxes at $50 each to do my whole 24' Class C. Took about 6 hours including tearing out the carpet.

Anyway, if you're considering doing this, go for it. Just go slow and start with the easy (straight) areas.

18 REPLIES 18

wrybread
Explorer
Explorer
Well its been almost a year, and our Alure flooring is still looking great. No bubbling or bumps or any issues at all. Not even a scratch! Phew.

And in hindsight I didn't really do anything right during installation: I didn't roll it with a roller and didn't consciously leave a gap for it to expand.

Anyway, thought I'd update the thread in case anyone is considering installing flooring. I couldn't recommend this Allure flooring any higher.

sprint180
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job. Looks like you did a great job!

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
wrybread wrote:
......One thing the Allure floor does that I love is that its truly waterproof.......

To a point it is, but there's still seams and I would not recommend soaking the floor. Water could get in the seams and cause it to fail same as a Pergo type flooring. None of these types of flooring should ever see a mop bucket.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing that is important with laminate flooring planks is to have an adequate expansion gap around the entire perimeter and penetrations through it like toilet and vents otherwise the joints can get pulled apart. A baseboard strip of some sort will be needed to cover the gap.

Calkidd
Explorer
Explorer
Wrybread. did your carpet go up underneath your cabinets? If so how did you manage to remove enough as to no interfere with the laminate flooring? Basically, what did you use to cut close enough to remove the carpet?

wrybread
Explorer
Explorer
Given what he said I'd also lean towards the click type, but it seems so strange since YouTube is full of people using the sticky Allure stuff and I haven't seen a mention of a failure. I did just google "Allure vinyl floor failure" and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOlwrjU3jMY

I also found a few people complaining about off gassing, but all but one person said it goes away, and I'm wondering if that last person isn't giving it enough time.

One thing the Allure floor does that I love is that its truly waterproof. With click type flooring water can seep between the junctions, and then it just stays there. For me that's a massive plus to the Allure flooring, so I sure hope it doesn't fail. So far so good. If the seams do start to peel I read that putting a little super glue in the separation and then hitting it with a roller fixes it.

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
wrybread wrote:
Ak, I sure hope that doesn't happen to my floor. None of the reviews I've found on YouTube mention that issue, and there's lots of people installing it in RVs, so hopefully yours was just a bad batch.

And Stormy, mine was the grip strips.

Your floor looks great. I also hope TNGW was the victim of a bad batch of grip material. I am leaning toward click type Allure and other similar click together vinyls.

wrybread
Explorer
Explorer
Ak, I sure hope that doesn't happen to my floor. None of the reviews I've found on YouTube mention that issue, and there's lots of people installing it in RVs, so hopefully yours was just a bad batch.

And Stormy, mine was the grip strips.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Stormy Eyes wrote:
I have a question for both Wrybread and TMGW. Did you use the Allure with Grip Strips or the Allure that clicks together?

The Alure we used "lapped" together with factory installed adhesive. It had a paper covering on each sheet that you pealed off and it stuck to the next piece. Then you rolled the whole floor. It seemed to really stick together well when first installed.

The Pergo we used "clicked" together.

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question for both Wrybread and TMGW. Did you use the Allure with Grip Strips or the Allure that clicks together?

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Alure looks good but.... We had Alure flooring that we put down in our home. We installed everything correctly. Rolled it with 100 pound rented roller. We let it sit in the room for a week prior to install. Everything was done by the book. After a few months it developed small bumps and the seams opened up so you could see grey seams through it. Ours was down for a year and we tore it up and put down Pergo. The only good thing I can say about our Alure floating floor is it comes up real easy and being a thin material, it only took one trip to the landfill.
๐Ÿ˜ž

I saw Alure again when the wife and I went to someones home to look at their exercise bike they had on Craigslist. They had Alure in the basement and it looked like my stuff did. The seams had opened up and it was lumpy. Their floor had been down less than a year.

Home depot gave us our money back on the floor but since we didn't have Home Depot do the install, we ate the cost of the $3000 install. They called ours a "bad batch".

I've read on here that many people use Alure but I wouldn't use it again. The temperature swings in a RV are far greater than they were in my home. My experience with Alure flooring was not good.

I hope you don't have the problems with it that we did.

leadknee
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job
Steve an Barb
2015 Itasca Solei 340hp cummins
2012 ford fiesta tow

24fb_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
Looking good!

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I love the Alure flooring. Looks good in the camper, I installed mine in the basement under a slate pool table.