cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heartland Vs Jayco

rogers81
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking at and comparing the Heartland Gateway 3650BH and the Jayco Northpoint 375BHFS. We like different things about both. They are pretty much the same floor plan with only little differences.
I have found that some of the Hearland dealers will get you a lot better deal. I went on line to get an extended service plan. The Jayco will cost about $90 more over a 6 year period then the Heartland. Is this because there are fewer claims on the Heartland?
45 REPLIES 45

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
rogers81 wrote:
We finally decided and bought the Jayco. We have had it about 6 months now and have taken a few short trips plus finished the season at the campground. We had one water leak from a hose that had been nicked during construction and a few other small things. The warranty covered everything with no problems. I started this forum to help me decide and I would like to thank you all for all of your input. Thank You

This, apparently, is not a rare problem. I've read/heard about several people who had the exact same issue; water lines being cut/nicked during the build. Inexcusable, IMO.

Lyle

That is good to hear that you are happy with our Jayco. We are also happy with our Bighorn and Heartlands CS. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco, no question. We looked hard at several Heartlands a few years back and decided to stay with what we had.
I don't know if they all leaked or just used 1/4 inch particle board for the floors but we walked away.
Puma 30RKSS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
rogers81 wrote:
We finally decided and bought the Jayco. We have had it about 6 months now and have taken a few short trips plus finished the season at the campground. We had one water leak from a hose that had been nicked during construction and a few other small things. The warranty covered everything with no problems. I started this forum to help me decide and I would like to thank you all for all of your input. Thank You

This, apparently, is not a rare problem. I've read/heard about several people who had the exact same issue; water lines being cut/nicked during the build. Inexcusable, IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

rogers81
Explorer
Explorer

Hunter11
Explorer
Explorer
Searching_Ut, Your Bighorn sounds like what our Landmark was. No matter what they did it never got any better.
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
I'll wait a bit longer to post all the issues I'm having with my heartland bighorn until they have finished with their opportunity to make it right. That said. It is by far the worst quality rig I have ever seen. Water leaks under slides into rig if driving in rain. Metal bands over seams but under rubber bulging by inches when warm. 45 plus in fridge if over 75 outside. Whole side of bedroom slide Fiberglas only delam. Literally flexes in and out in wind. One interior wall panel pulling off wall. Bedroom door flex, latch issues. Freshwater tank vent syphons two thirds of the tank out if you try to drive with water in it slide and awning adjustment issues not yet resolved etc. etc. right looks good and appears to have decent componentry but it's all smoke and mirrors.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

cb1000rider
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:

Hope you are not down of Forest River also, as between them and Thor this have the market pretty much cornered. Chris

Forest River seems to have a decent stream of pretty bad problems that require outside pressure to get resolved.

Grand Design is the other option - they're still independent and caring about servicing their customers is clearly part of their model...

I was a happy Jayco owner (last RV). The Thor purchase takes them off the table, although even I will admit that's probably over-reactive as long as they're run (short term) like an independent business.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
justme wrote:
Well it looks l like the big fish are eating the smaller fish. Profit is the name of that game...

Part 2 of Greg Gerber's Op-Ed Magnum Opus has been published: http://rvdailyreport.com/opinion/rv-death-spiral-manufacturers-in-race-to-the-bottom/.

I have no connection to RV Daily Report, other than as a reader...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Well it looks l like the big fish are eating the smaller fish. Profit is the name of that game...

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
rvrev2 wrote:
Many in this thread mentioned picking the Jayco over a Thor product. I just read that Thor has bought Jayco for $576 million. Wall Street Journal article at this address: http://www.wsj.com/articles/thor-industries-to-buy-jayco-for-576-million-1467375874

Yes, a sad day for sure, just as it was when Thor bought DRV. I've owned 3 Jaycos and was very pleased with their quality and value at their respective price points as well as Jayco's well-deserved reputation for customer service.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
MdMike1007 wrote:
I have had multiple issues with my Heartland Elkridge 29BHCK... Roof failed at 2 years, multiple plumbing issues.... I WILL NEVER BUY andothe HEARTLAND product EVER!

Hope you are not down of Forest River also, as between them and Thor this have the market pretty much cornered. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

MdMike1007
Explorer
Explorer
I have had multiple issues with my Heartland Elkridge 29BHCK... Roof failed at 2 years, multiple plumbing issues.... I WILL NEVER BUY andothe HEARTLAND product EVER!

rvrev2
Explorer
Explorer
Many in this thread mentioned picking the Jayco over a Thor product. I just read that Thor has bought Jayco for $576 million. Wall Street Journal article at this address: http://www.wsj.com/articles/thor-industries-to-buy-jayco-for-576-million-1467375874
2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG
2005 Chevy 2500 HD, crew cab, long bed
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Travlingman wrote:
Jim,

I have had both a Designer and now a Landmark. Both are good rigs. I haven't seen a new Designer in person, but from looking at on internet for the price they don't compare to the Landmark. The one thing we didn't like is that the Designer still uses the chill grill for one of the AC's and we wanted both ducted so they are quieter.

Has our Landmark been problem free, no. We have had a few issues, nothing major, and Heartland customer service has been very good to deal with. They will authorize a mobile tech and I had to pay the fee for the tech to come out, $65. Easier for me to do that than hook it up and take it in.

I suggest you take a day trip down to Knoxville and visit RV's for Less. They carry DRV's and Landmarks. They usually have a good selection so you can do a compare. You can tell them you are looking and they will let you browse without a sales person hanging all over you. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck with the insurance.

Hey buddy, thanks for the info, may call you to pick your brain...Will look at the Landmark and the Mobile Suites and go from there when we go to Knoxville to check out these units..

thank you,
Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet