cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power lift for RV

TexBohunk
Explorer
Explorer
My wife has MS, and during a recent trip noticed she seems to be struggling more to climb the three steps to get into our TT. I have been looking online at something that would help her access the TT. I'm leaning toward getting a platform that attaches to the side of the TT that she steps on and raises her up. Want to know if anyone has installed or used one of these. Prices I've seen range from $1200 to $2000+. Bought our TT new 2 yrs ago, so we plan on having it at least 10yrs and the expense would be worth it.
7 REPLIES 7

BRAD247
Explorer
Explorer
i need a used chair lift to help get my dad into our class a motor home any idea where to go to find one
thanks

pmcgowan
Explorer
Explorer
Reluygog, it looks like you modified the platform lift, if so what and how? We just purchased a new to us Winnebago sightseer. Our daughter uses a wheelchair full time. We've been considering the platform lift for her wheelchair. She's very small (about 90 lbs) so her chair is small and we think her chair would possibly fit (size and weight wise) on the platform. We like how the lift is mounted outside so as not to lose space inside (which as you know is precious with a wheelchair user) and it's not cumbersome. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much!

reluyog
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a Burr lift about 12 years ago. My girlfriend has MS and is stuck using a wheelchair full time, so I modified the platform to work with a manual chair only. At one time she had a microscopic power chair it worked with, but a normal power chair creates too much cantilevered weight. No doubt the lift is slow, but it serves it's purpose. We also use short and long ramps for different purposes. After twelve years of service, I had to completely service the acme thread screw by taking it completely apart, and also had to hand rebuild the motor assembly including fabricating new brush spring studs, sanding the commutator, etc. For the original install I added a 1/2" thick x 4" wide steel vertical brace with gusseted foot on the inside surface of the wall by the door frame to stabilize the wall structure. My girlfriend is light, and I always back her onto the lift and then backwards into the trailer. She doesn't use this device by herself since there are no safety rails or stops. I like the ramp better, but it's only suitable for longer term setup. Ask any questions you want. I hope you find a workable solution.
Damian
1983 KW W900, 3406B Cat, RTO14615, 355's
1995 Carriage by Carriage triple axle 22K

Goldstar225
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is an amputee and I installed a Burr Handi Lift for her to use on our travel trailer. It is not compatible with a wheel chair. The basic model is a stand on only. Burr did start offering a seat option for what I consider to be a ridiculous $600.00 upcharge. Shop around and you can get the basic lift for about $1300.00. Make sure that it has enough travel to reach the ground. I think 45" is the standard lift but it can be increased. I had it installed at my RV dealer, that ran about $600.00. It was worth it. The only complaint my wife has is that she would like for it to raise up faster. It takes almost two minutes to come up 3 feet.

CWDoc115
Explorer
Explorer
Check your local yellow pages under mobility aids or systems. You will find one or two shops that can help you. Now they won't use the word "no" they will ask how much you are willing to spend.
Can she handle a ramp to get into your rig? That might be a cheaper option.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
For future reference you might want to keep the Newmar Canyon Star 3911 in mind. It has a full-blown wheelchair lift and the interior is ADA.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
This is an old post that has some info.