cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a 2016 VW GTI

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
For those interested it is now possible to setup a 2016 VW GTI with manual transmission for 4 wheels down towing. Blue OX now has a base plate for this car - mine was the 1st to be equipped with it. See attached photo below.

To eliminate the need to have the ignition switch in the ON position so that the steering would be unlocked, I had a mechanic disassemble the steering stack and use a carbide cutting tool to cut off the pin that locks the steering. Also, this VW's 12 VDC power receptacles are not powered when the ignition switch is OFF and key removed. However, the yellow 20 amp plug in fuse in the fuse holder under the driver's side dash can be unplugged and moved to a 2nd plug in location that changes these receptacles so they stay hot with the key removed so that you can power a braking systems such as the Brake Buddy or the Blue Ox Patriot.

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad
20 REPLIES 20

73driver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Whemme.....my first toad behind my first MH. I'll talk to my mechanic about the steering lock.

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
73driver,

Since my key is removed when towing, the panel is not powered so the digital odometer does not indicate any mileage increase. However, in your case where you must have the ignition switch in the ACC position, your instrument panel may be powered so your odometer may add in your towed mileage. You should know if you have towed your GTI. If so, you may be able to remove a fuse to stop the odometer from indicating.

Prior to getting the GTI, I towed a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu that was also setup with a Blue Ox system. Since I was getting a new tow bar from the Blue Ox factory anyway for the GTI, I advertised the Malibu as a vehicle already setup for towing and would include the existing Blue Ox tow bar, base plate and installed tail light wiring. The Malibu had approximately 93,000 miles on the odometer when I sold it but with approximately 55,000 towed mileage that did not register on the odometer. A person drove all the way from Tennessee to Iowa to look at the car and bought it for $6,000. There is a demand for used toads.

73driver
Explorer
Explorer
Whemme,

Am I to assume that your mileage doesn't increase as you tow with a cold car? Not that it really matters....I would think the towing gear might give it away as a tow vehicle

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
73driver,

I had an independent foreign car mechanic cut off my steering locking pin. He charged me around $120 for that work. The locked steering is not a safety feature but a supposed anti-theft feature I could get along without - non of my other vehicles have locked steering.

Anyway it is nice to be able to put the manual transmission in neutral, pull the key from the ignition, lock the car and tow away.

73driver
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the RVi battery charger, wired to the MH via the cable. I push the start button once to activate the "acc" and leave the key fob in the car. I found that if I kept the key with me and and got out of range, the acc would eventually shut down automatically and relook the wheel. If I left them in the car, it stays on. I learned the hard way that you need to disable the "convinence auto lock" feature as my doors would automatically lock after the car starts rolling. And no, the extra key would not electronically open the door. I would like to be able to leave the car cold and tow it, but I'm a little uncomfotable takin my steering column apart.

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
73driver,

What did you do about the locked steering? Yes, Blue Ox recommends the the wiring kit that adds the bulbs to the existing tail light fixtures.

73driver
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Whemme. Just finished installing the whole Blue Ox system on my 2016 GTI for towing behind my Winnebago View. The hardest part was my penchant to re-engineer the tail light install. I wanted to use the diode kit but ultimately found out they wouldn't work on the GTI. Had I listened to them in the first place, I wouldn't have fought it for 2 days. So far, it's a nice rig!

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I should have held out for the manual tranny on our new '16 Golf Sportwagen.... Oh well.
Our 2012 Canyon 4wd is flat towable, but with a 24' Sunseeker, we've really never needed a toad. Having nothing behind makes it so much easier, particularly the places we tend to go. We've never shied away from gravel roads.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
Also, if you go to the Blue Ox website you will find base plates for various years and models of VWs. VW never has listed there cars as flat towable in their owner's manual. However, only the manual transmission models can be flat towed.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
bayoubelle wrote:
I'm confused, so some vehicles can be towed even though they aren't listed on remco's site?

Absolutely! For example, NO Mazda product is listed anywhere as being flat towable, but I have flat towed 3 Mazda Miatas over 75,000 miles with no ill effects.

Tim

whemme
Explorer
Explorer
I have now towed my 2016 GTI for more than 3000 miles with no problems. When the Blue Ox factory engineered and installed the free base plate for the car, part of the deal was I got a free new Blue Ox tow bar and tail light wiring. I did have to pay for the tail light wiring kit but they installed it free. They installed extra bulbs in the tail light reflector assemblies. If you look at the photo of the front of the car in my original post, the connector for the tail light cable is located right under the license plate.

73driver
Explorer
Explorer
Whemme,

So you've been towing your GTI since last summer? 1) Howgoesit? 2) How were your tail/brake/turn lights installed?

Thanks.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Johnny G1 wrote:
Towed a 2003 Jetta for 10 yrs and never cut anything and even left the key in the ignition after hooking up, steering was alway's unlocked. VW does not approve and never did, Just ask the dealer's.

New VWs are different- there is no ACC position in the key lock, just off, on and start. To unlock steering the ignition has to be on.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a 2003 Jetta for 10 yrs and never cut anything and even left the key in the ignition after hooking up, steering was alway's unlocked. VW does not approve and never did, Just ask the dealer's.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.