Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Toy Hauler looking for informed input

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
Well here is the situation.
Getting ready to retire.
Currently own a 99 F550 with a 7.3 and 4.88 rearend.
11 foot TC and 20 foot open trailer.
This set up has served me well for a number of years. But needs are changing.
Toy Hauler needs to haul my 2008 Rhino as well as my 76 Bronco and 94Lightning drag truck. Only one at a time.

Once retired long trips From Phoenix up west coast to Washington as well as trip back to Michigan. Shorter trips to the mountains in AZ.

Need a min of a 16.5' Garage. Length of the f150 race truck. Living quarters for comfort of my granddaughters while at the track. Also room for myself and 2 125 lb Malamutes.

My thoughts on Toy Haulers. Looking at a 2010 42 foot Work and Play.
Interested in thoughts on Haulers that size. And any brands you can suggest that can handle a full size 4000lb truck.
Sorry for being so wordy but wanted to give enough info to give you some background.
thanks
Mike
51 REPLIES 51

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
The_real_wild1 wrote:
I have just been using straps on the d rings to hold down my wildcat inside my toy hauler. I have a couple buddies that use wheel chocks for the front and just a wheel strap on each back wheel. They don't move.

I decided to go with a belt and suspender system

Wheel Chocks and 2 tie downs. 1 running from rear bumper to front D Ring and 1 from front bumper to rear D ring. 9'6" Rhino and 9' 11" Garage. Not much room for error. Smaller garage than I wanted but the rest of the hauler was just too nice to pass up.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
I have just been using straps on the d rings to hold down my wildcat inside my toy hauler. I have a couple buddies that use wheel chocks for the front and just a wheel strap on each back wheel. They don't move.

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
The_real_wild1 wrote:
Looks good. For tie down you can get short e track with tire straps. Easy to secure.

Yep was thinking about the tire straps. Garage floor has adjustable tracks with rings. Seems like the most efficient way to hold Rhino in place. I don't want it putting pressure on the rear door/ramp.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good. For tie down you can get short e track with tire straps. Easy to secure.

glazier
Explorer
Explorer
Very Nice
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't buy the truck as I have a 99 F550 with a pick up bed and an Airsafe Omni 20K. Toy hauler is just under 14K dry.
I'm excited. First toy hauler, first 5th wheel. Couldn't believe how easy it is to hook to the truck.
As I mentioned repacking the bearings and adjusting the brakes first on the list then when it warms up a bit going to reseal the roof. It has no issues but it is 11 years old. Brand new Goodyear 16.5's on it. Paid a litte bit of a premium for it but it was SOOO much cleaner than anything else I looked at. 1 issue is with the Rhino in the garage while traveling I will need to put out one of the 3 slides to get to the kitchen. A little inconvenient but workable.
thanks for looking.

Mod Edit: Adjusted photo widths to not skew forum page size.

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
Good deal. We of course need pictures !!
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
Did the trial fit of the Rhino yesterday . 10 ft Garage and 9'6" Rhino. TIGHT fit but it did fit. Have to get creative to strap it down. Picking it up Monday and taking it in to have the bearings repacked and brakes adjusted. Then a weekend shakedown trip to Lake Pleasant AZ. About 25 miles from the house. 6 dollar per day for shoreline camping. Hard to beat.
Planning to increase battery storage.

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/5936139913.html

Well I think the search is over. Selling the Bronco.
Came across an Airsafe Omni 20K hitch. and looked at the KZ Montego made an offer was accepted. Taking the Rhino over this week for a trial fit. If Good I'll be bringing it home. Garage is 10 Ft and Rhino is 9'6" height is 6'3" Height Is my concern.
Very well taken care of. Biggest issue is failing clear coat. Welcome to the Az Sun.
And thanks to all who offered assistance.
Mike

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
lightning driver wrote:
James57 wrote:
My KZ Venom 4013TK has a 13 FT. garage comes with 5500 gen. fueling station
and it sleeps 9

beautiful hauler but a bit outside my budget.

James
I came across a 2006 KZ Montego Bay 37 CKS triple slide that with a little negotiation may be able to get in my price range. Only a 10 ft Garage but may be able to make it work if it is as nice as it appears in pictures. Rhino is 9'6".
Almost 14K lbs dry. I do have a F550 with Airsafe 20K 5th wheel hitch. Truck at 26K rating and hitch appear to work with the Hauler.
Of course interested in opinions

lightning_drive
Explorer
Explorer
James57 wrote:
and it sleeps 9

beautiful hauler but a bit outside my budget.

James57
Explorer
Explorer
and it sleeps 9

James57
Explorer
Explorer
KZ makes a 20ft. toyhauler V4020 DQ.

Y-Guy
lightning driver wrote:
Next up is a 2005 Layton Rampage. M385. Serious solar system on roof as well as Onan 5500 gen set. Dual slide.
Would love to hear thoughts on the Skyline/Layton Rampage line.

The skyline was a pretty decent unit in it's time. I can't say I heard a lot of negative reviews. I did camp next to one and got a tour, seemed pretty solid. A good detailed and thorough inspection and a good price might make it a great value.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon