cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for more WY ideas..

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
So last year we did a great two weeks in WY. We hit Laramie, Lander, Jackson Hole, Teton's, Yellow Stone, Bear Tooth Pass, Cody, Sheridan, and Devil's Tower.
This year we are looking for some new ideas of where to go and what to do.
Trip will be in Septemeber. We will be driving a truck with a slide in camper so we are fully self contained.
We would like to spend a day renting and riding ATVs somewhere...say maybe in the Big Horn Mountains. We also would enjoy spending a day on a river with a guide float fishing and enjoying the scenery.
Thanks in advance for your ideas and help!
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited
14 REPLIES 14

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Mattyd, I hope the book works for you. It sounds like you had a great trip, glad you enjoyed Wyoming. If I'd known you were pass'n thru, I'd have waved at you :B. We're only about 8 miles from Wyoming Whiskey, but a mile or so off the road. We like the "path less traveled"! ;). memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone!
Membt- I ordered the book today off Ebay. We appreciate the tip.
Actually I started this post last year prior to our trip. Since this thread has taken a little new life I thought I might as well comment on a few of the places we visited...
So we wandered thru CO up in to WY. Highlights were The Snowy River Range and Aspen Alley near Saratoga. From there we visited the Wyoming Territoral Prison at Laramie. A fun place to visit is the Miners and Stockman's steakhouse in Hartville. Close this the Ft Laramie National Historic Site. We then bounced around following the Oregon Trail. We visited Independence Rock, Devil's Gate and Split Rock. Spent a day at Thermoplis and toured the Wyoming Whiskey Distillery We worked our way up and over the Bighorn Mountains and toured the King Saddlery in Sheridan. On a whim we headed north up to Little Bighorn Battlefield. Turned tail and pointed our nose back toward Custer State Park. It was a great trip. Two weeks and 4352 miles.
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Mattyd, I'll share a few in our area (Big Horn Basin). Thermopolis - Top rated (in USA) privately owned dinosaur museum, Hot Springs State Park (thermal hot springs), 15 miles North toward Worland - then North-West on Gooseberry road will take you to some badlands ( looks like you just arrived on the moon). Meteetsee,Wy (between Thermopolis and Cody) - Really nice museum (very large grizzly killed just out of town), 15 or 20 miles west of town is the Pitchfork Ranch (were many of the Marlboro commercials were filmed), and from Meteetsee driving to the head of the Wood River will take you to Kirwin. An abandoned mining town, which you can only get to via 4 wheel drive/atv/horseback (and only then in mid to late summer - you cross river many times) Amelia Earhart fell in love with Kirwin, and was having a cabin built at the time of her disappearance. These a are but a few things just in our area. Get the book earlier mentioned - dozens of places we haven't been yet!
Enjoy Wyoming and Happy Trails! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Mattyd, Too many to mention,but buy the book... "8000 miles of dirt - Backroads of Wyoming". It will give you several years worth of ideas! memtb
Todd & Marianne
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
If you are into trains namely steam type then check out Cheyenne and the Union pacific yard and museum. We enjoyed it a few years ago.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
MP soldier wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Since you want to go to the Big Horn Mountains, go on down the Hwy 16 towards Greybull and take the short side trip to Red Gulch to see the Dinosaur Tracks. There's a huge turn out back there and I don't see why you couldn't boondock for a night there. When we were there, there were no signs that said no camping. If you're self contained seems it wouldn't be a problem. Also visit Devils Kitchen. The turn off is also off of Hwy 16. Worth the drive back there. It's amazing. You didn't mention Chief Joseph Pass just outside of Cody. It's a beautiful day drive, steep and winding in places, but farmers tow over it all the time and there's a campground off this road, actual several, that are nice.

Can you pull a trailer down that dirt road off 14 to the Red Gulch Dinosaur Tracksite easily?

If I remember correctly, yes. Both my husband and I noted that we should've towed our fifth wheel back there and spent the night. Google map it just in case - Red Gulch Dinosaur Tracksite. Don't take a chance though if there is any sign of recent rain or will be. Just as you turn off the highway on Red Gulch Rd, there is an ample spot to pull over with your trailer. You may want to confirm with BLM you can boondock overnight.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Since you want to go to the Big Horn Mountains, go on down the Hwy 16 towards Greybull and take the short side trip to Red Gulch to see the Dinosaur Tracks. There's a huge turn out back there and I don't see why you couldn't boondock for a night there. When we were there, there were no signs that said no camping. If you're self contained seems it wouldn't be a problem. Also visit Devils Kitchen. The turn off is also off of Hwy 16. Worth the drive back there. It's amazing. You didn't mention Chief Joseph Pass just outside of Cody. It's a beautiful day drive, steep and winding in places, but farmers tow over it all the time and there's a campground off this road, actual several, that are nice.

Can you pull a trailer down that dirt road off 14 to the Red Gulch Dinosaur Tracksite easily?
2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Thermopolis is a nice spot to visit. The spring water is warm and soothing and the mineral deposits make a beautiful site.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

This.

Plus Thermopolis.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
We loved the small town of Dubois Wyoming (watch movie Taking Chance) We stayed at the KOA but there are other options. Miles of ATV trails (we didn't go) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3xijMG1GtE

There are several campgrounds back by Pinnacle Butte in this area off of the Togwotee Pass.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
There's a recent trip report in the Truck Camper forum ('Rocky mountain high') that will point you towards some great spots.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We loved the small town of Dubois Wyoming (watch movie Taking Chance) We stayed at the KOA but there are other options. Miles of ATV trails (we didn't go) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3xijMG1GtE
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Thermopolis/Wind River Canyon areas. St. Anthony,ID for dune riding/four wheeling.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843