cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MH or TC - Which is better to get into the Boonies?

katet78
Explorer
Explorer
MH or TC - Which has more versatility to get into the Boonies?

We currently have a 25' TT but are considering trading it for a 20'-24' MH or upgrading our truck and getting a TC. We are tired of campgrounds where it's a party/summer camp atmosphere, we want peace and quiet and we know to get that we have to get off the beaten path.

For those of you that have MH's or TC's, which do you find better for taking up a dirt forest service road and dry camping? I would imagine that TC's allow you to go a little further up roads that may not be nice smooth gravel as well as the convenience of dropping the TC and taking the truck if needed. However, MH's have the convenience of just get in and drive (and access to facilities en route) and slightly less setup/break down time than a TC. Does anyone currently have (or had) a MH and find that you wish you could go further with it because you have challenges finding a dry camp site on weekends?
2013 Spree Escape 243S
2013 Ram 1500 Hemi
2 camp cruiser bikes
1 140 pound camper guard (Saint Bernard, the King of the Camper)
1 90 pound camper guard in training (Puppy Saint Bernard)
62 REPLIES 62

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks! We will just have to make the trek to the Tahoe area -- about ten hours towing the trailer.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the edges along CA Highway 20, with a sliding 500 to 1000 foot right of way are owned by the State of CA. It's a scenic byway. They do not close nor do they discourage travel on these byways. There is a big push along highway 20 to whittle down and thin out the tree cover. They've subbed it out to a contractor with lots of equipment and little know how keeping the road perpetually down to one lane and the commensurate long wait. Outboard of the State lands is the Tahoe Nat. Forest. They are much less tight-axxed than the Forest supes farther down state. All this is within a mile or two of our place on the West Slope. If you want a winter respite, take a trip to any high desert locale above 3000 feet away from the rain shadow hills.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scary picture!

Without giving away any secrets, where do you find roads that are both open and covered in deep snow? Throughout most of the Calif. national forest system, the rangers close the roads with locked gates when the snow starts to fly in earnest (more than just flurries). We really wanted to do some snow camping this winter but were locked out in the earlier part of the season.

Then, of course, the atmospheric rivers have arrived, coating the mountains in deep cement -- too thick for my limited skills!! (And more on the way, or so I am told.)
About our trailer

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Dan, you're not a dummy. You are the reining king of small 4WD pickups pulling an off-road designed camping trailer. Therein lies the problem. If one doesn't have the inquisitiveness, time, or desire to find the 'edges' of getting stuck and where they actually are, one shys away from that threshold. I can understand that. I always enjoyed the thrill of chasing the 'stick', getting ever so much closer to the edge. When I mentioned the savvy part, it includes having the experience to know when to fold your tent and not proceed. That invisible line can only come from your own experience. I've been seriously stuck as many as 500 times in sand, snow, mud, rocks, broken axles, broken suspension, and dead engines in my time and each one was a learning experience. These were not a, "Watch this" moment, but a serious endeavor to find the edge. Powder snow up to 4 feet deep is no problem floating with lowered pressure on your tall and wide tires, all wheels under power. Sierra Cement, frozen and refrozen in as little as 8 inches deep can absolutely stop your progress no matter what you do, especially if you stay in one place and do 3 rotations of the wheels. That's all it takes: 3 rotations and the icy cup your tires are sitting in tightens up and your done, unless you have a little momentum on your side, which evaporates after the 3rd spin in one place. I've also had my Land Cruiser FJ-40 with all four chained up and not deflated with continued forward motion in 3 feet of snow. Then there's the time we went to mountains while the 4 feet of snow had a frozen crust and we could drive on that crust, just to return downhill later in the day after the sun came out a melted the crust allowing the rig to SINK into the frozen abyss. We used the Warn Winch dozens of consecutive times that day to winch downhill, 125 feet at a time. Toward the end of those pulls, we actually pulled the front bumper and winch right off the front frame rails of the FJ-55. That immediately took the wind out of our sails.
This smelling of the ozone is not confined to getting stuck. I've rolled my CJ-8 at least a dozen times, some just laying it over on it's side; mostly crawling along at low speed, and some disastrous. I'm still suffering from the effects of a cracked 3rd vertebra and a torn rotator cuff from rolls years ago. You get to know on a 1st hand basis where the tipping point is. Yes, it's me and the peanut gallery waiting for the strap:

This Physics project has graduated to the TC. Everyone watching is aghast when I get the TC on the slightest angle because it looks much worse than it actually is. With the 1100 pound Cummins; the 360 pound NV5600 manual transmission; the 140 pound NV241 transfer case and 500 pounds of heavy axles, the rig is very bottom heavy and it would take a lot of angle to make the box tip over. Nothing in the Lance is weighty up high. It just looks like it.
Meanwhile, I've had some good experience this winter with my new taller tires, lower gears, limited slips. Even in fairly deep snow the TC just keeps all four wheels grinding away with continued forward motion with a wide footprint and nothing hanging down to impede forward progress. I was hoping that would be the case. The more weight you try to move in snow, the more chance for any forward motion to be curtailed.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
jefe, here is the key in what you just wrote: "the operational savvy of the driver will get 2WD-ers just as far as a dummy driving a 4WD."

I'm the dummy! I'm learning, slowly. Your experience is vast, but mine is only half-vast. (Say that last sentence out loud to get the full meaning.)

I haven't gotten seriously stuck, at least not yet. But (to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld) the problem is that sometimes I don't know what I don't know. They say that good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
About our trailer

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Dan and Nichols,
I'm thinking much of the conjecture about getting stuck in either 2 or 4 wheel drive has more to do with the operator than the motational device.
Nichols: your departure angle is what is your limiting factor. Do you have those training wheels or skids back there? I've seen this very set up drag the skids just getting into a gas station driveway. I agree that having all that weight over the drive wheels is a plus, but not if the surface is slippery mud or melting snow or bottomless anything with no limited slip device.
Dan: the myth that 4WD will just get you farther down the road before you get stuck is just that: a myth. Again, the operational savvy of the driver will get 2WD-ers just as far as a dummy driving a 4WD. Now that I've completed my XTC drivetrain build, published by our own Mike Smith, I dealt with myriad conditions to overbuild my drivetrain and solve the off road woes carrying a 10K pound, 4WD white box:
http://truckcamperadventure.com/2017/01/extreme-truck-camper-drivetrain-build

AFA trailering, I have a few observations. I've owned quite a few trailers including a M100, WWII jeep trailer; a Viet Nam issue M714 jeep trailer; a custom made ConFer Toyota jeep trailer for a Land Cruiser; a 1955 Bradley jeep trailer; a 14 foot, lightweight car trailer; a mini horse trailer used as a trash trailer; and a 1965 homemade trailer for my Jeep that folded in two half way to Monache Meadows.
The woe I've seen with any of these trailers, off road, is that your drive wheels are pulling the dead weight of the trailer. Case in point: last year I was out scavenging fire wood to feed our winter fire box and backed my Jeep XJ (with L.S. diffs on both ends) and 400 pound Bradley with pintle down a fairly steep embankment to get close for loading. Empty, the trailer/jeep had no trouble going up or down the embankment. Once loaded with about 1500 pounds of oak rounds, there was too much weight in the trailer to overcome the grade even with all wheels just spinning in unison trying to crest the hill to no avail. If the weight were over the drive wheels, it would have been a different result. I walked out to the highway and called my wife on my cell phone and she came over and picked me up. Once home, i enlisted my neighbor Ken to be the designated driver in the XJ while I pulled it uphill with the 15K pound winch on the XTC. I deadmaned the truck so the winch could do its work. Popped it right up. So, my fault was not considering the result of not enough weight over the drive wheels. One tried and true way to help with the 'dead weight' of non-powered trailer wheels is to have larger diameter wheels and tires.
regards, as always, jefe

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
The answer is that for a price, they can tow you out of anything.

That's comforting!

However, the hard part might be getting communication out to them. One of those SPOT or similar type satellite based devices probably should be on my wish list, but I guess it should be a device that allows direct phone calls. Of course a full-blown satellite phone is out of our (budget) question.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The answer is that for a price, they can tow you out of anything. We barely escaped a freak midnight snowstorm while boondocking a few years ago -- the folks who didn't wake up supposedly paid a thousand dollars each to have a plow make a path for the tow truck. Ouch.
About our trailer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dan ... with a Class C at yoyo (Yur-On-Yur-Own) places like Dubinky Well one should not get stuck with any number wheel drive. :W

(Can an ERS truck even find that place?)

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phil, how could you forego the pleasure of 4 wheel drive? After all, it enables you to get stuck a quarter mile further down the road! ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
A max 24' Class C would be a great trade-off.

We take ours off-pavement with only one (small) dog. We don't tow, so we must use it on backcountry roads. I've seen many photos in these forums of where folks go with truck campers and I believe that I could go to many them - slowly and carefully - in our 2WD Class C. If the road is dry, we can get superb traction because of the tremenduous weight bias on the rear tires of a Class C.

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
TC is great for back country camping. We had two and found our way down a lot of old logging roads. Before that it was a trailer and a fifth wheel. Had to back up the latter a long way several times; didn't enjoy that. Just moved to a 33' MH so won't be able to do our regular camping anymore but will hopefully enjoy a different kind of RV travel, relying on the Jeep to see during day what we enjoyed all night. You have received excellent advice here. FWIW I think a max 24' Class C would give you the best trade-off between comfort and capability with your two large dogs.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just took a look at the Action Mobile webpage. Nice units for certain special remote area touring in other countries, but probably over-kill for use in the U.S..

I'll bet they're ultra-expensive and ... probably good luck getting them repaired many places in the U.S. in case of breakdown.

I vote for one of the Tiger models on a Ford F450 4X4 with the largest tires that will fit in the fender wells without lifting, so as to keep the CG low as possible.

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
TC is the winner for off road driving. The truck has higher clearance and can have 4WD which I've never seen mentioned for a MH.

Except for Action Mobil 4x4,6x6 and 8x8.:C
Ray