cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water?

Vagabond82
Explorer
Explorer
So this might be a newb question but what do all of you do for water in Mexico? I was thinking fill up with the local water and use a brita water pitcher to filter out the bad stuff. Do you drink local water without filtering? Seems like bottled water would be a hassle and much more expensive. What do you do?

Thanks,

Dave
37 REPLIES 37

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I do think a lot of water can be trusted. But we do use our own water filters and UV filtration system no matter where we go just to be safe. We do know there are places in Mexico where the water is fine. We also know there are places in the US where the water is not OK. To be safe we do our own filtering and UV purification (1 gallon per minute UV costs about $100 plus installation). I mentioned some websites earlier in this thread. Based on test results by experts we do not trust bottled water. We have read NY City tap water is the best water you can drink. Who knew?

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I just wonder how many people here actually trust their local water system in the U.S. or Canada?

We drink well water here at home in Mexico and we only purchase filtered water (from a filter machine in our small town of Allende) for making coffee as the well water has a lot of minerals. The filtered water costs 10 pesos for five gallons.

I despise buying water in plastic bottles. Even with recycling, I have little faith that much of it is actually recycled but sold off to foreign countries who dump most of it. You know, out of sight out of mind.

I just returned from a week in Colombia; Cali and Bogota. No bottled water in the hotels, ask for water in a restaurant and you get water from the tap and my coworkers laughed when I asked if people drank bottled water. By that, and I explained, buying carts full of those nasty little plastic bottles from Costco and Sams.

They all seem to believe they have good water systems and drink freely from the tap. I did too and no rumblings. Going on 33 years here full time and no issues. But then again, it smoke and mirrors. Nobody really knows the truth and who do you trust.

Sad that municipal water works don't take pride in providing a necessity that all of nature needs to survive. I have to say though, most of the people I know and work with in Monterrey and surrounding areas that have service from AyD de Monterrey, drink from the tap. Monterrey has prize winning water, actual awards, and attempts to maintain a good network and infrastructure.

JMTC
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Ed_White
Explorer
Explorer
In case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere in this lengthy thread, a water FILTER is NOT a water PURIFIER. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) makes a clear distinction between the two. A filter may remove sediment and a few minerals, but filters geenrally do NOT remove the dangerous bacteria that will make you ill.

If water is not already safe to drink, it has to be PURIFIED to make it safe to drink. Look on Amazon and Ebay for water purifiers and you will see that most are made up of filtration to remove solids plus a bacteria killing stage such as ultra-violet exposure.

Purifiers, unfortunately, tend to be affordable only in low volume capacity. We use a purifier that meets FDA requirements but because it delivers only 1/2 gallon per minute we use it only for ice making and drinking water. Luckily, monthly testing of the municipal water supply here in Los Barriles always indicates that it meets all of the FDA requirements for drinking water. As a result, we use it for brushing our teeth and washing dishes, etc.

Well water test kits are available on line that can be used to take a "snapshot" of water safety if you plan to stay in one place for a while.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I don't visit this site much, but whole house filters,with silver in the charcoal and a prefilter, both 4x10 in cannisters, will take metals and the nasties and most chemicals out of the water. On line like the water store has many filters as do other sites down to .5 micron carbon block. Usually only one filter here in most places in the states except RV parks using wells with a lot of sediment.
A prefilter of .25 filter carbon block will get most things before it eve gets to the primary filter. May have to change pre filter more often than the primary.
filter. It's no joke about the water south of the border

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Garafons bombos. Now what did I do with that dictionary?

They are approximately 5 gallon round clear plastic jugs of assumed to be purified water sort of like the ones they put on water coolers turned upside down.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Garafons bombos. Now what did I do with that dictionary?
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible to find tight fitting caps that are not screwed on to garafons without threads that are very nearly drip free. If you find one, keep it and cherish it. We never found threads needed, besides, in many situations you are exchanging the garafons themselves (so you can keep that cap) and would lose your threaded one doing this. As well, the threaded ones that I have seen (and I have one) have a narrower neck. If you are using the Mexican bombos to pump your water, you will need one that fits the narrower neck. We have both, big deal, they cost about 3 dollars, so whichever garafon comes along, we are happy. It serves our drinking and food prepartion requirements, cheap insurance for staying healthy in Mexico. And anywhere else! The main water tank is for showers unless we can place our shower tent out in the sun, with a garafon warming up.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
More about water shows up from time to time. More web addresses below where more can be learned. Some of these are trying to sell us something but they may have useful info. This has to do with water quality in the US โ€“ I canโ€™t find much about water in Mexico but would guess if there are problems in the US there are probably problems in Mexico. Lots of tap water in bottles in the US โ€“ why would Mexicoโ€™s bottled water not be tap water?

Lead Poisoning Higher in Parts of Calif. Than Flint

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lead-poisoning-higher-in-parts-of-calif-than-flint/ar-BByBful?li=BBnbcA1

Dozens of California communities have experienced recent rates of childhood lead poisoning that surpass those of Flint, Michigan, with one Fresno locale showing rates nearly three times higher, blood testing data obtained by Reuters shows.

In all, Reuters found at least 29 Golden State neighborhoods where children had elevated lead tests at rates at least as high as in Flint.

No level of lead exposure is safe, but children who test that high warrant a public health response, the CDC says.

OCTOBER 15, 2008
BOTTLED WATER QUALITY INVESTIGATION : TEST RESULTS: CHEMICALS IN BOTTLED WATER

http://www.ewg.org/research/bottled-water-quality-investigation/test-results-chemicals-bottled-water

Disinfection byproducts were found in 4 brands

Chemical Number
of Brands Range of Detections, ppb* Average of Detected Values, ppb*
Total Trihalomethanes 4 4.4 - 37 21
Chloroform 4 3.8 - 31 15
Bromodichloromethane 4 0.6-13 4.5
Bromoform 1 0.8 0.8
Chlorodibromomethane 1 3.7 - 8.2 5.4
Haloacetic Acids
Dichloroacetic acid 2 2 2
Trichloroacetic acid 1 2 2

Synthetic chemicals were found in 9 brands

Chemical Number
of Brands Range of Detections, ppb* Average of Detected Values, ppb*
Acetaldehyde 4 0.6 - 36 9.7
Hexane 4 0.2 - 0.8 0.55
Toluene 4 0.5 - 2.9 1.5
2-Methyl-1-propene 3 0.3 - 0.6 0.47
3-Methyl pentane 3 0.3 - 0.8 0.47
Isobutane 3 2.3 - 13.3 7
Methylcyclopentane 3 0.7 - 1.3 0.9
Octane 3 0.2 - 4 1.7
3-Methyl heptane 2 0.4 - 0.6 0.5
Cyclohexane 2 0.4 - 1.3 0.73
Decane 2 0.6 - 1.5 0.93
Heptadecane 2 0.3 - 1.2 0.75
(Z)-13-Docosenamide 1 1.2 1.2
1-Hexene 1 0.2 0.2
Hexadecanamide 1 0.7 0.7
Hexadecane 1 0.5 0.5
Methyl cyclopentane 1 1.3 1.3
Naphthalene 1 0.3 0.3
Nonadecane 1 0.4 0.4
Nonanoic acid 1 0.4 0.4
o-Hydroxybiphenyl 1 1.0 1.0
Tetrachloroethene 1 0.5 0.5

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/gen_info/filters.html

How safe is bottled water?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/sc-bottled-water-health-0127-20160127-story.html

A report by the NRDC about 15 years ago โ€” the latest large-scale study performed โ€” tested more than 1,000 bottles from 103 brands of water by three independent labs. They found that about one-third of the bottles contained significant contamination with levels of chemical or bacterial contaminants exceeding those allowed under a state or industry standard or guideline in at least one test.

ANALYZING & COMPARING BRANDS OF BOTTLED WATER

https://www.alkalinewaterplus.com/analyzing-comparing-brands-of-bottled-w

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
If one does not want to bother with filters the simplest method is to fill the tank with Mexican water. Use it for showers and dish washing. Use garafons for drinking and cooking water. We keep a gollon jug in the fridge and refill as required When in area with known bad water we do not use it for any purpose. We have been sick many times from food. Never from water. No big deal to sanitize the tank when you return NOB. Reed; @ 2.5 gallons a day you must not have been showering in your unit. I would be worried about getting a skin disease from some of the CG showers. In some CG's they are NEVER cleaned.

Moisheh

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
My wife does not want anything but purified water in the tanks. Water in Yucatรกn was salty so we just filled 81 gallon tank on Fifth Wheel with garrafons. The Open Range pump will pull in about 2.5 gallons a minute.It took a while and did not cost much. Did the same on just finished 14 week trip through Mexico in Roadtrek. Carry an extra water pump and filled using this: Yucatรกn, San Cristobal, Patzcuaro, Rincon, San Carlos. We can last about 10 days on 24 gallons.

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Admittedly, I have read just a few posts here. But it got me thinking. Even with all the junk in our water, the only thing that will kill you faster than drinking it is not drinking it.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
There are many types of water filters that do many different things and filter many different things. Just putting in a water filter or because someone filters their water does not mean anything if you do not know what filters they use and what substances they may be filtering out. What specific type of filter is in use and exactly what does it do? And what method of purification is used โ€“ filters do not purify.

Most people think that in Mexico the only concern is drinking the water and immediately getting sick โ€“ sometimes known as Moctezumaโ€™s Revenge (or Montezuma). There are also long term considerations when thinking about the water we drink โ€“ whether in Mexico or anywhere else in the world โ€“ including the US. Water can contain lots of things that are found naturally in the environment and that build up in our bodies over time that can cause serious harm โ€“ arsenic โ€“ lead โ€“ mercury among the โ€œheavy metalsโ€.

There are standards. There are specific things that can make you sick that can be filtered out. There is no way to know if the water you are getting in any kind of bottle or garafon or tap or wherever is safe to drink unless you carry test equipment around with you.

There is a great deal to be learned about water and I certainly do not claim to know much of anything. I buy filters that say they get rid of stuff. I installed an Ultra Violet System. I have a 10 micron sediment filter where we connect to the tap or spigot when we hookup. I have a 5 micron filter mounted inside our RV to filter all water entering the RV. I have a 0.5 micron coconut shell carbon filter for taste and odor under our sink. Only our drinking water goes through the UV and Carbon.

I make no recommendations or claims โ€“ I know nothing. Here is the tip of the iceberg of research about waterโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ

Arsenic in Private Well Water
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/massdep/water/drinking/arsenic-in-private-well-water-faqs.html

http://www.cleanwaterstore.com

https://www.filtersfast.com/

https://www.filtersfast.com/P-Hydronix-SMCB-2510-Water-Filter.asp

http://www.nsf.org/services/by-industry/water-wastewater/residential-water-treatment/residential-drinking-water-treatment-standards . . . . . National Sanitation Foundation

While no federal regulations exist for residential water treatment devices, several voluntary national standards establish minimum requirements for the safety and performance of products used to treat home drinking water. These standards are generally divided according to the productโ€™s technology.

NSF/ANSI 53: Drinking Water Treatment Units - Health Effects
NSF/ANSI 53 establishes the minimum requirements for the certification of POU/POE filtration systems designed to reduce specific health-related contaminants, such as Cryptosporidium, Giardia, lead, volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) and MTBE (methyl tertiary-butyl ether), that may be present in public or private drinking water.

http://www.wqpmag.com/not-all-filters-are-created-or-tested-equal . . . . Water Quality Association Magazine

The commonly tested chemical reduction claims for products seeking certification to NSF/ANSI Standard 53 are: heavy metals (arsenic, cadmium, chromium, copper, lead, mercury and selenium), inorganics (fluoride and nitrate plus nitrite) and volatile organic chemicals (chloroform surrogate as well as individual organic chemicals).

NSF/ANSI 42: Drinking Water Treatment Units - Aesthetic Effects
NSF/ANSI 42 establishes the minimum requirements for the certification of POU/POE filtration systems designed to reduce specific aesthetic or non-health-related contaminants (chlorine, taste, odor and particulates) that may be present in public or private drinking water.

NSF/ANSI 401: Emerging Compounds/Incidental Contaminants
NSF/ANSI 401 addresses the ability of a water treatment device to remove up to 15 individual contaminants (listed below), which have been identified in published studies as occurring in drinking water. While not a public health issue, the contaminants covered in NSF/ANSI 401 have been detected in drinking water supplies at trace levels and can affect some consumersโ€™ perception of drinking water quality. (NSF/ANSI 401 also applies to reverse osmosis (RO) water treatment.)
Prescription Drugs
Meprobamate: a compound found in anti-anxiety drugs.
Phenytoin: an anti-epileptic drug.
Atenolol: a beta blocker drug.
Carbamazepine: an anti-convulsant and mood-stabilizing drug.
Trimethoprim: an antibiotic medication.
Estrone: a prescription birth control drug.
Over-the-Counter Medications
Ibuprofen: an over-the-counter pain reliever and anti-inflammatory medication.
Naproxen: an over-the-counter pain reliever and anti-inflammatory medication.
Herbicides and Pesticides
DEET (N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide): a pesticide and common active ingredient in insect repellents.
Metolachlor: an organic compound that is widely used as an herbicide.
Linuron: an herbicide often used in the control of grasses and weeds.
Chemical Compounds
TCEP (Tris(2-chloroethyl)phosphate): a chemical compound used as a flame retardant, plasticizer and viscosity regulator in various types of polymers including polyurethanes, polyester resins and polyacrylates.
TCPP (Tris(1-chloro-2-propyl) phosphate): a chemical compound used as a flame retardant.
BPA (Bisphenol A): a chemical compound used as a plasticizer.
Nonyl phenol: a collection of compounds often used as a precursor to commercial detergents.

NSF/ANSI 55: Ultraviolet Microbiological Water Treatment Systems
NSF/ANSI 55 establishes the minimum requirements for the certification of point-of-use/point-of-entry (POU/POE) ultraviolet (UV) systems and includes two optional classifications:
Class A systems (40 mJ/cm2) are designed to disinfect and/or remove microorganisms, including bacteria and viruses, from contaminated water to a safe level. Class A systems may claim to disinfect water that may be contaminated with pathogenic bacteria, viruses, Cryptosporidium or Giardia.

Reverse Osmosis (RO)
NSF/ANSI 58: Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Treatment Systems
NSF/ANSI 58 establishes the minimum requirements for the certification of point-of-use (POU) reverse osmosis systems designed to reduce contaminants that may be present in public or private drinking water.

The scope of NSF/ANSI 58 includes material safety, structural integrity, total dissolved solids (TDS) reduction and other optional contaminant reduction claims. The most common optional claims addressed by NSF/ANSI 58 include cyst reduction, hexavalent and trivalent chromium reduction, arsenic reduction, nitrate/nitrite reduction, and cadmium and lead reduction.

http://www.discountfilters.com/blog/nsf-ansi-certification/

Water filters with a Standard 42 (aesthetic effects) certification are designed to minimize non-health related contaminants such as chlorine, taste and odor, and particulates. These filters sorted by classes of performance. For all other claims, there is only a pass or fail.

For taste & odor, the classes represent chlorine reduction efficiency:
Class I, a minimum of 75% chlorine reduction.
Class II, 50% reduction.
Class III, 25%.

For mechanical filtration, the classes represent particle size ranges that are removed with a minimum 85% efficiency:
Class I, ยฝ -1 micron.
Class II, 1-5 microns.
Class III, 5-15 microns.
Class IV, 15-30 microns.
Class V, 30-50 microns.
Class VI, 50+ microns.

Itโ€™s important to note a Class I or Class II rating does not imply cyst reduction. In order for a water filter to qualify for cyst reduction, it must have a 99.95 percent minimum filtration efficiency for 3-4 micron test dust particles, 3.000 micron micro-spheres, or live cryptosporidium oocysts.

Water filters with a Standard 53 (health effects) certification are meant to reduce health-related contaminants that may be present in public or private drinking water. Filters that meet the Standard 53 requirements are able to minimize exposure to microbiological, chemical or particulate contaminants that might be hazardous to your health. These types of filters are typically best suited for individuals who have well water.

Some filters fall under the scope of both above mentioned standards since they meet aesthetic and health related claims.

https://www.filtersfast.com/P-Pentek-FloPlus-10-Carbon-Block-Water-Filter.asp

Pentek FloPlus-10 Filter - 10" Carbon Block Filter
This Pentek FloPlus-10 is a 10 inch carbon block water filter replacement for use in many water filter systems, especially under sink water filter systems, reverse osmosis systems, and more. The Pentek FloPlus10 is a standard diameter filter (2 1/2" diameter) that maintains a relatively high flow rate despite its very low 0.5 micron rating. The Pentek FloPlus-10 is made specifically for applications where a low pressure drop combined with comprehensive depth filtration is needed. Able to withstand a maximum temperature of up to 180 degrees Fahrenheit, the FloPlus-10 can also be used in high temperature applications.

This advanced Pentek water filter replacement cartridge is specifically made to reduce the bad taste and odor of chlorine and other chemicals in water. It is a dual purpose water filter cartridge in that it also removes and reduces sediment, dirt, rust, sand, silt, limescale, and other common particulates. Additionally, the Pentek FloPlus10 removes 99.95% of harmful cysts such as cryptosporidium and giardia.

Pentek FLOPLUS-10 Filter Replacement Specifications:

Connection: Drop in
Temp. Range: 40 - 180 F
Initial Pressure Drop: 2 PSID
Micron Rating: 0.5 micron nominal
Filter Media: Modified molded carbon block
Dimensions: 9 3/4" length x 2 7/8" diameter
Gallons Per Minute: About 1-2 GPM flow rate depending on specific filter system
Filter Life: Approx. 6 months or 10,000 gallons depending on usage and local water quality
NOTE: after installation this cartridge should be flushed for about five minutes in order to remove remaining carbon fines
This Pentek FloPlus 10 water filter is also known by Pentek part number 455903-43 / 45590343. This filter has been tested and certified by NSF International to NSF / ANSI Standard 53 for the reduction of cysts.

Pentek P-250A Specifications:
Part Number: P-250A; 155832-44
Micron Rating: 0.5
Dimensions: 9-3/4"x2-1/2"
Meets NSF Standard: 42 and 53
Capacity: 500 Gallons
NSF/ANSI Certified Standard 42 and 53
Includes: 2 filters
Pentek P-250A reduces the following:

Cryptosporidium
Giardia
Cysts
Sediment
Bad taste and odor
Mercury
VOCs
Pesticides
Herbicides
Asbestos

The Hydro Life 310 replacement sediment water filter is so good we can not recommend it highly enough. Here is the deal. When tackling serious water issues in commercial and industrial equipment, 1 filter just isn't enough. You need a pre-filter and at least 1 post-filter. Sediment filters fall under the former and they play a crucial role in the water filtration processes. These filters capture larger debris like sediment and rust. If these pollutants reach your other filters that use KDF or carbon filtration media they can seriously reduce the effectiveness and life of those cartridges. The great news is this spun polypropylene sediment filter is not expensive and really does improve filter longevity and performance.
Hydro Life 310 Specifications:
Part Number: 310
Filter Media: Spun polypropylene
Dimensions: 2"x10"
MERV Rating: 2.5
Inlet/ Outlet Connections: 1/2" FPT
Filter Life: 3,000 gallons; 3~6 months (poor water quality can greatly diminish filter life)
Flow Rate: 10 GPM
Operating Pressure: 20-100 PSI Non-Shock
Operating Temperature: 33-100 F
NSF Test and Certified for Standard: 42 and 53
Usage: Ice machines, steamers, or other equipment

http://www.h2osplashwaterfilters.com/uvlite1ss.html
Ultraviolet Light (Sterilizer) - 1 GPM - Stainless Steel

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if it's still in operation but there was a business in Teacapan that filtered and sold tap water - it was an elaborate setup with lots of equipment - customers could watch the process. I used 5 gallon gas cans (never put gas in them) because they wouldn't tip over like jerry cans do at the first turn.
Hotel ice machines use tap water, and up till a few days ago I trusted the ice they made. We're in Mazatlan currently and both the wife and I have some mild stomach problems. For the time being I'm back to purified ice.
Teacapan was an eye-opener. We had RV'd there a lot back 15 years ago. I didn't see a single RV or a US or Canadian plated vehicle while in Teacapan. The Onac/Color Marino was too far off the road to see but it sounded like they are very slow there as well. It's a shame the RV trade has dropped off so significantly.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Though using plastic bottles is certainly wasteful and an important concern the point of my post was that bottled water or garafon water may say purified but there is no guarantee that it is anything more than tap water. Many places in the US have bad water and lots of bottled water may not be as pure as some seem to think. Testing labs such as Consumer Reports have tested lots of well known brands in the US and found contaminants. The only sure way to protect yourself is with your own filtration and purification system as I have posted about above in this thread. One example I could mention was a test on a well known and widely available brand of bottled water in the US that test high for arsenic. It could take many years of buildup before the human body begins to show signs of being poisoned by this water - it is not always an immediate thing. I trust garafons no more than I trust any other type of bottled water. Research filters and what the different ones can do and then create a filtration system of your own to get rid of contaminants - and a UV system to purify - all for under $200 - and know your water is safe. This applies to anywhere you might travel and drink the water.