cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New York City choices?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We were thinking Newburg KOA, but the reviews indicate lots of poison ivy & I am allergic. We want 50 amp fhu. Black Bear was our second choice, but reviews are less than stellar. We are looking for a tour bus from the park. We also considered Liberty Harbor, but reviews are poor except for location. Help!
19 REPLIES 19

5outta6
Explorer
Explorer
Westchester County parks finally responded to my emails; they told me to contact the park for info.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
5outta6 wrote:
I emailed twice to:

parksinfo@westchestergov.com

inquiring about when they open and have not yet heard back.

I guess they're too busy to answer...................

I suspect they are in a state of confusion of sorts;).
Apparently, the local govt did some cut and dried changes in regulations as it relates to parks and recreation. What they didn't realise is the county and/or state allowed some relaxing of the rules and basically expanded parts of the RV sites to year-round in response to several large scale infrastructure projects (laying pipe for a gas line and rebuilding the Tappan Zee Bridge)whose workers need temporary affordable housing.
Would love to be a fly on the wall for the municipal to county to state blah blahs they are having over this.

Suffice to say the park is open but I wouldn't waste my time trying to pin anyone to a wall beyond getting my requested reservation and confirmation.
Upper bureaucrats are "bizzy" and the folks that answer the phones are ducking.

5outta6
Explorer
Explorer
I emailed twice to:

parksinfo@westchestergov.com

inquiring about when they open and have not yet heard back.

I guess they're too busy to answer...................

5outta6
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
5outta6 wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
5outta6 wrote:
I called Croton Pt Park and they told me they don't open until the 2nd weekend in May.

We plan on getting to the area around the 1st of May to visit relatives who live north of Yonkers in Hartsdale (?) .

I would like a park close to a train station to NYC.

Highland Park near West Point is an option but it is pretty far from a train line and I don't really want to take a long bus ride.

Any info on parks (open around the 1st of May) near train lines to NYC from NY, NJ or Conn. will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Full camping facilities in Croton opens in April so you might want to double check the opening time you were told. They also have limited winter sites but have no idea if that includes RV sites.

I got that info from the county's website and called the park to verify as well. They have some sites with 50 amp power but they are already booked for the season(:eek:) according to the young lady who answered the phone. Seems they have some long term residents or it's locals who use the park as a spare bedroom or RV storage, LOL. Actually smart when you consider the price as it relates to this area.Digression over.

There is a nearby Metro North train station: Croton-on-Hudson on the Croton-Harmon line. It's about 1.5 miles from the park and if you prefer you can drive your car to the station and park it there until you get back from the city. NYC to park commute is about an hour and it's a very scenic ride that mostly skirts the Hudson River.

You'll have a choice of 2 stops in NYC- Grand Central Station which is great for Midtown shopping and sightseeing and 125th Street which I find more convenient for West Side attractions such as Harlem, Central Park, Lincoln Center, Museum Mile (it's actually on the East Side but still easier to reach from this train stop), the Cloisters and the Museum of Natural History. Also Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens.

Convenient supermarkets near Croton: Stop and Shop and La Placita for all things Mexican. Of course there is also Stew Leonard's in Yonkers that both Westchester locals and NYC residents flock to: all good food (prepped dishes and cook yourself), a creditable wine shop and amusing surroundings. You have to see it to believe it.

Uhmmmmmm....you can tell I like where I live, right?:B

The West Point site is nice but wayyyyyyyy too far from NYC. You'll spend all your time getting there and back.

Liberty Harbour is convenient and if I was only staying in the area for a day or two I'd deal with it.

HTH

I called again today; Croton Point Park: 914 862-529 and the woman told me the park opens for camping on Friday May 12th.
And that they cannot guarantee they will have water then, but you can still RV camp.

From their website:
"Limited winter camping is available in select RV sites only. Reservations are recommended for all camping including RV, tent and cabins. Call the park at (914) 862-5290."
It also mentions the car top boat ramp opens in April thru Oct......

Are we talking about the same park?

(I also hear there is a good kennel in Ossining.....

This is getting weird in an only in NY kinda way: I called (914)862-5290 at 11:08 AM.
My sister and BIL live nearby in Scarborough so tomorrow I'll give her a call and ask her to check from her 914 number. Maybe being a county tax payer will make a difference in the info given? LOL.

My brother-in-law lives 15-20 minutes from the park. I should have him go by or call.....
But we can adjust our trip to get there around mid May instead of the first of May.
We really have no schedule for this 6 wk plus trip, but I am only concerned where we will stay within easy access to the in laws and NYC.
Thanks for any help.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
5outta6 wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
5outta6 wrote:
I called Croton Pt Park and they told me they don't open until the 2nd weekend in May.

We plan on getting to the area around the 1st of May to visit relatives who live north of Yonkers in Hartsdale (?) .

Highland Park near West Point is an option but it is pretty far from a train line and I don't really want to take a long bus ride.

Any info on parks (open around the 1st of May) near train lines to NYC from NY, NJ or Conn. will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Full camping facilities in Croton opens in April so you might want to double check the opening time you were told. They also have limited winter sites but have no idea if that includes RV sites.

I got that info from the county's website and called the park to verify as well. They have some sites with 50 amp power but they are already booked for the season(:eek:) according to the young lady who answered the phone. Seems they have some long term residents or it's locals who use the park as a spare bedroom or RV storage, LOL. Actually smart when you consider the price as it relates to this area.Digression over.

There is a nearby Metro North train station: Croton-on-Hudson on the Croton-Harmon line. It's about 1.5 miles from the park and if you prefer you can drive your car to the station and park it there until you get back from the city. NYC to park commute is about an hour and it's a very scenic ride that mostly skirts the Hudson River.

You'll have a choice of 2 stops in NYC- Grand Central Station which is great for Midtown shopping and sightseeing and 125th Street which I find more convenient for West Side attractions such as Harlem, Central Park, Lincoln Center, Museum Mile (it's actually on the East Side but still easier to reach from this train stop), the Cloisters and the Museum of Natural History. Also Bronx Zoo and Botanical Gardens.

Convenient supermarkets near Croton: Stop and Shop and La Placita for all things Mexican. Of course there is also Stew Leonard's in Yonkers that both Westchester locals and NYC residents flock to: all good food (prepped dishes and cook yourself), a creditable wine shop and amusing surroundings. You have to see it to believe it.

The West Point site is nice but wayyyyyyyy too far from NYC. You'll spend all your time getting there and back.

Liberty Harbour is convenient and if I was only staying in the area for a day or two I'd deal with it.

HTH

I called again today; Croton Point Park: 914 862-529 and the woman told me the park opens for camping on Friday May 12th.
And that they cannot guarantee they will have water then, but you can still RV camp.

From their website:
"Limited winter camping is available in select RV sites only. Reservations are recommended for all camping including RV, tent and cabins. Call the park at (914) 862-5290."

This is getting weird in an only in NY kinda way: I called (914)862-5290 at 11:08 AM.
My sister and BIL live nearby in Scarborough so tomorrow I'll give her a call and ask her to check from her 914 number. Maybe being a county tax payer will make a difference in the info given? LOL.

5outta6
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
5outta6 wrote:

Thanks in advance

HTH

From their website:

5outta6
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
RVcrazy wrote:
We were thinking Newburg KOA, but the reviews indicate lots of poison ivy & I am allergic. We want 50 amp fhu. Black Bear was our second choice, but reviews are less than stellar. We are looking for a tour bus from the park. We also considered Liberty Harbor, but reviews are poor except for location. Help!

Lots of easy to navigate tour buses in NYC; no idea what KOA is charging for their version but a 2 hour one way commute is long by NYC standards; same for Black Bear. I suspect both campgrounds are offering the tour buses as incentives to get people who want to tour the city to stay with them. Smart marketing strategy.

As stated in earlier posts, Liberty, is a big ol' flatop parking lot that is ultra convenient to lower Manhattan and parts north and east. Someday I suspect it'll become another needle tower.

There, you have the Path train that leads into the World Trade Center/Oculus (glorious building that has even the slightly jaded NYCer in me awed); great but expensive eats at Eataly (go there about......11:30 AM for the prime rib sandwich. We treat ourselves to one about once a month. Divine); a Shake Shack near the Hudson River ferry terminal; great shopping at Century 21 and of course it's nearby Manhattan's Chinatown, Little Italy, South Street Seaport and Wall Street area which includes the National Museum of the American Indian which is housed in the frmr Customs building. Also easy to reach the High-Line whose success caused the Guggenheim to open a new branch.

Make an early morning walk over the Brooklyn Bridge (choose your time for this excursion carefully. Walked over it w/ DGD early evening this summer and it was HORRIBLY crowded. Thank goodness, Junior's Restaurant was our Bklyn destination to take the hordes off our minds and back to our tummies;)).

In essence, choose your locale based on what is most important to you:).

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
Liberty Harbour is the only place we'll stay at when wishing to access NYC itself = most expensive carpark ever parked on and shocked us upon first arrival, but ......... convenience for accessibility to NYC (trains,ferries etc), skyline views, fishing nearby for hubby for a couple hours in evenings or on a few hours downtime from exploring the city = we feel you can't beat it. If we weren't into the actual NYC exploration itself, then this parking lot wouldn't even come on our radar as a possibility.

Like others have said... nothing beats Liberty Harbor for convenience to the city. If your intention is to visit the city, you can be in Manhattan in 10 minutes from this park. You get great views of Lower Manhattan across the Hudson. Price is NYC reasonable. We've been there before I plan to go back as often as I can.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
It's probably not what you really want, but there is camping (or, perhaps more accurately, overnight RV parking next to a picnic table) at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. There are no hookups or dump station Just getting there with an RV would be something of an adventure in itself, I suspect; the most obvious route via the Belt Parkway is not an option due to typical parkway vehicle restrictions.

It looks like it's about a fifteen minute bus ride to the subway, or an hour or so walk. Biking also appears to be reasonably practical at first glance.

It would be about a 30-45 minute bus ride to the nearest subway stop (Flatbush Avenue terminus for the 2 and 5 trains which are Manhattan West Side and East Side lines respectively) via a Green Line bus which only runs about once every 30 minutes during non rush hours. The walk is much longer of course though pleasant in a "am I really in NYC?" mode. You'll pass a marina, a golf course, and have to brave 1 highway entrance. Street lighting is more in keeping w/ further upstate NY and the sidewalks are over run with growth so at times you'll have to walk on the parkway. Randazzo's Clam Bar is right off the highway and makes an excellent repast.

Despite living in Manhattan, I know this area well, as I worked near Brooklyn College, for several years, and maintained a garden plot there for a time. Fertile land, rotor-tilled annually w/ manure donated by a nearby NYPD horse stable. Unfortunately, I had to give the plot up as it really was too far from my home in Manhattan. Still can recall the smell of salt air and greenery in my nose though:).

From an RV POV you'll have to drive on Flatbush Avenue for most of the time and the throughway is a bit harrowing though pretty wide as NYC streets go. In the West Indian community, Flatbush, is known as "The Capital", since it passes through several communities dominated by one Caribbean group or another. Great eats if you can actually find a parking space that isn't being double parked before reaching Eastern Parkway.

I do hope the city, state, and Feds come up with a viable and sustainable plan to get RVs to the park but it really isn't easy as things stand now unless you are driving a small truck camper.

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty Harbour is the only place we'll stay at when wishing to access NYC itself = most expensive carpark ever parked on and shocked us upon first arrival, but ......... convenience for accessibility to NYC (trains,ferries etc), skyline views, fishing nearby for hubby for a couple hours in evenings or on a few hours downtime from exploring the city = we feel you can't beat it. If we weren't into the actual NYC exploration itself, then this parking lot wouldn't even come on our radar as a possibility.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It's probably not what you really want, but there is camping (or, perhaps more accurately, overnight RV parking next to a picnic table) at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. There are no hookups or dump station Just getting there with an RV would be something of an adventure in itself, I suspect; the most obvious route via the Belt Parkway is not an option due to typical parkway vehicle restrictions.

It looks like it's about a fifteen minute bus ride to the subway, or an hour or so walk. Biking also appears to be reasonably practical at first glance.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:

Lots of easy to navigate tour buses in NYC; no idea what KOA is charging for their version but a 2 hour one way commute is long by NYC standards; same for Black Bear. I suspect both campgrounds are offering the tour buses as incentives to get people who want to tour the city to stay with them. Smart marketing strategy.

As stated in earlier posts, Liberty, is a big ol' flatop parking lot that is ultra convenient to lower Manhattan and parts north and east. Someday I suspect it'll become another needle tower.

There, you have the Path train that leads into the World Trade Center/Oculus (glorious building that has even the slightly jaded NYCer in me awed); great but expensive eats at Eataly (go there about......11:30 AM for the prime rib sandwich. We treat ourselves to one about once a month. Divine); a Shake Shack near the Hudson River ferry terminal; great shopping at Century 21 and of course it's nearby Manhattan's Chinatown, Little Italy, South Street Seaport and Wall Street area which includes the National Museum of the American Indian which is housed in the frmr Customs building. Also easy to reach the High-Line whose success caused the Guggenheim to open a new branch.

Make an early morning walk over the Brooklyn Bridge (choose your time for this excursion carefully. Walked over it w/ DGD early evening this summer and it was HORRIBLY crowded. Thank goodness, Junior's Restaurant was our Bklyn destination to take the hordes off our minds and back to our tummies;)).

In essence, choose your locale based on what is most important to you:).

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
5outta6 wrote:

Thanks in advance

HTH

5outta6
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks in advance