Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winnebago Adventurer Roof issues

fenwickfam
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there! I'm hoping somebody out there has some insight for us on this topic:
We have a 2005 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
Over this past weekend (a very windy weekend, I might add!), we were traveling south on I-29. As a semi went by us (we were only traveling around 50 mph due to wind and visibility), we heard a noise. I told my husband that I thought he had blew a tire, as it was a sound I hadn't heard before. When he went to pull off at the exit, we heard an awful sound from above (like somebody wobbling a piece of sheet metal). When we got out of the MH to look, the tires were all fine, however, the roof wasn't. The roof had came out of the seam from above the driver door to behind the front slide out. I called our insurance company, who told us to secure it as much as we possibly could, and continue to drive it.
We used tape (all we had available) and drove it to the nearest campground. I spoke with the insurance company again on Saturday. Of course, no adjuster available, so was told to try to drive it home, and yes, they would still cover the damage if we drove it home. As we headed north on a back highway, the wind was once again terrible from the west, once again hitting us on the driver side. This time, it got under the tape, picked up the roof and tore it. Once again, I climbed up and taped it down as best I could... we turned around and went south and dropped the MH at our sons place, because there was no way we could get it home without even more damage.
Now, our insurance company today tells me that this is a common issue with Winnebago Adventurer roofs, and that they may not cover it.
Has anybody else run in to this problem? Is this a common Winnebago Adventurer problem? I did call one Winnebago dealer service shop that said that they are unaware of this being a common problem.
I would like any information anyone could help me with to argue with the insurance company about coverage on this.
Unfortunate timing, as I am changing insurance companies to the Good Sam Insurance as of October 4th. However, that doesn't change the fact that this occurred while under this insurance company.
Thanks for any information!!
The Fenwick Family
4 Children, 5 Grandchildren
Our 3 Bears (Captain Little Bear, Lady Little Bear and Yogi Bear) and 2 very spoiled kitties
132 REPLIES 132

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
wolfe10, I'm 500 miles away from the RV right now. Asked spousal unit to climb up on L'Andante's roof and take some photos. Will post when received.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Would like more specifics on exactly what was "glassed to the roof":

Roof to caps?

Side of roof to channel?

Other?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Wanderlost wrote:
This happened to our 2004 Itasca Sunrise in 2015. Our insurance company said it was common to Winnebagos and covered the replacement. Not only did the repair facility put on a new fiberglass skin, they glassed it into the roof.

No more semi-annual caulk inspections.

The RV may someday fall apart, but that roof will still be there...

What do you mean "glassed it"? I'm curious. Are you talking about the edge?

The fiberglass was applied directly to the roof.
That sounds like a great fix!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Mile High wrote:
Wanderlost wrote:
This happened to our 2004 Itasca Sunrise in 2015. Our insurance company said it was common to Winnebagos and covered the replacement. Not only did the repair facility put on a new fiberglass skin, they glassed it into the roof.

The fiberglass was applied directly to the roof.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
After all these years you would think they would tape the hole box with eternabon at the factory and just think how much money Winnebago would save . Also customer not having to worry about this problem ever again. You can't tell me that the dealers make that much money resealing it for there customers. They have said they are losing customer trust with there quality control or lack of it. This would be a big step in the right direction

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

We are an RV Community. We are here to discuss issues and help each other, not make excuses and cover up things.

I'm certainly not trying to cover things up! In fact I'm posting diagrams of the maintenance required! You on the other hand seem to take what opportunity you have to bash. Show me the constructiveness or help offered by these:

Bruce Brown wrote:
Yet how many other motorhomes and travel trailers were on the road that same day, driving in those same conditions that didn't have their roof blow off. And thinking about this even more, have we ever seen a post on RV.Net about a roof blowing off on anything but a Winnebago. [emoticon] I'm not saying there hasn't been one, but I sure don't ever remember seeing one. It seems we do see these posts come up with Winnies about 3-4 times a year. Nope - not a design flaw at all, it was a "wind issue". Umm...OK. [emoticon]

Good luck with the insurance company - I think you're going to need it.

Bruce Brown wrote:
That is a 10 percent failure rate - nope, nothing wrong with that roof design. [emoticon]

If I were shopping this is would be pretty important information to help me make my decision. I know I wouldn't even think of buying something that required this level of "maintenance", not to mention what happens if you happen to miss a spot when doing this so-called maintenance.

Now where's Bumpy when we need him? [emoticon]

You are trying to make it sound as if you have to get out your caulking gun every 6 months to keep the roof on, which is simply not true (but then you haven't owned one). Inspecting a roof seal every 6 months is not unusual for any RV. Perhaps if they guy that lost the seal in his skylight on the one you fixed had inspected his seal instead of listening to you gripe from the chair, he wouldn't have had the water problem.

Bruce_Brown
I sure bet the OP had known of these issues before they ran into trouble - would have saved them a bunch.

I'm not here to knock Winnie, only their roof design. In fact our first MH was an Itasca, it was a great unit.

If one Winnie owner saves themselves the headache the OP (and others) have gone through this entire thread is worth the grief.

We are an RV Community. We are here to discuss issues and help each other, not make excuses and cover up things.

As long as a current owner and/or perspective buyer knows what they're required to do every 6 months and are OK with that then great. Unfortunately it seems too many are not.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Mile High wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
DryCreek wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
But the fact of the matter is if the sealant goes bad and wind enters , it has been proven in some cases to peel the roof off, as was the original issue in this thread and confirmed again with the pictures Mike posted.

If as an RV buyer you're OK with this design then great - it's your money. I would not be OK with this design, and I can't think too many people who know about this PRIOR to buying one would look at that and say "Yes, that's a great design and what I want on my next MH". Unfortunately too many consumers are unaware.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the roof didn't "peel off". Only the edges popped out of a channel that runs the length of the coach. You simply tuck it back into the channel and reseal with the recommended urethane. It should be a pretty simple task to lean over and lift up slightly with one hand and re-insert the flap and run it down until it comes to the front or rear cap. Then you seal it up. Didn't you watch the Winnebago factory tour on You Tube and see that part? Of course you'll have to endure their sales pitch on who they are better than "the other coach assemblers", but it was very informative to see how they assembled the roof. I bet it would be much easier of you have one of their specially modified float trowels to zip the flap in like they did in the video.

In the OPs case the roof peeled off, as well as many others. Google Winnebago Roof Issues and take a look. Examples are pretty easy to find.

And as far as "only the edges popping out of the channel", really? Can you name any other builder where this is an issue? Neither can I. :W
Is this just your destiny? Slam Winnie every chance you get? Us Winnie people can deal with this through constructive discussion without your negative rhetoric - go weigh your axles or do something else Newmar people do!

Couldn't find any other motorhomes that had their roof blow off, could you? :B

I didn't look - I'm not here spend time feeding your rhetoric or to prove you wrong - just wish you would stop jumping on every Winn roof issue with your banter. You really don't have anything to contribute other than show up with your pompous opinion.

Bruce_Brown
Mile High wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
DryCreek wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
But the fact of the matter is if the sealant goes bad and wind enters , it has been proven in some cases to peel the roof off, as was the original issue in this thread and confirmed again with the pictures Mike posted.

If as an RV buyer you're OK with this design then great - it's your money. I would not be OK with this design, and I can't think too many people who know about this PRIOR to buying one would look at that and say "Yes, that's a great design and what I want on my next MH". Unfortunately too many consumers are unaware.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the roof didn't "peel off". Only the edges popped out of a channel that runs the length of the coach. You simply tuck it back into the channel and reseal with the recommended urethane. It should be a pretty simple task to lean over and lift up slightly with one hand and re-insert the flap and run it down until it comes to the front or rear cap. Then you seal it up. Didn't you watch the Winnebago factory tour on You Tube and see that part? Of course you'll have to endure their sales pitch on who they are better than "the other coach assemblers", but it was very informative to see how they assembled the roof. I bet it would be much easier of you have one of their specially modified float trowels to zip the flap in like they did in the video.

In the OPs case the roof peeled off, as well as many others. Google Winnebago Roof Issues and take a look. Examples are pretty easy to find.

And as far as "only the edges popping out of the channel", really? Can you name any other builder where this is an issue? Neither can I. :W
Is this just your destiny? Slam Winnie every chance you get? Us Winnie people can deal with this through constructive discussion without your negative rhetoric - go weigh your axles or do something else Newmar people do!

Couldn't find any other motorhomes that had their roof blow off, could you? :B

You are correct though, Newmar did have some overweight axles. That too was poor engineering. Thankfully when they realized it they did step up and replaced the axles. :W

I like Ct78barnes approach. If you could find a color match Eternabond that would be a good solution - like Winnie themselves did on the earlier referenced Vista example.
Bruce & Jill Brown

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
DryCreek wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2003 Sightseer as my first coach and it was all white and used the eterabond tape around the front and rear seams and along the side seals on both sides. You can do it in a afternoon time frame. I ordered our 2011 Sightseer and got full body paint and have not done this on our new coach. I read on one of these post that you can get 50 ft tape from Winnebago . He said it was color match . I called Winnebago got to parts and got a voice mail. I ask if they color match the 2 inch tape to my coach.The white regular tape would look bad with the full body paint. I went on the eterabond web site and they show a lite brown as a option along with black and white. So might go with the light brown . I figured I will have to buy two 50 ft 2 inch rolls I think they are around 50.00 a roll so around 100 bucks . Not bad for never having to worry about this problem again.We had our 2003 for 5 years and went through high winds and bad rain and never had any problems.The wife said no way to the white as it would stand out so with the light brown option I will get this problem solved.

Bruce_Brown
DryCreek wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:

Bruce & Jill Brown

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad

Czarny, black cat