Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window Replacement - looking for source or advice

chrisdug
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I have a leaking window - the front on my overhead. It is leaking between the glass and the frame so I believe a replacement is needed. Can anyone recommend a Southern Calif supplier that could find me the correct window that I can install? I would also entertain having it replaced but only by someone experienced with RV construction and sealing methods.
My coach is a 2002 Jamboree 31W GT. Overall coach is in great shape, but I need to nip this in the bud - I have chased water damage before on other coaches and don't want to replay that.
Thanks for any input!
Doug
1997 F-250 HD Extra Cab Short Bed Tow Vehicle. 139000mi. 4.10 gears, limited slip diff, Roll Along pkg. K&N FIPK, 6 pos chip, Trans cooler, intercooler

2002 Jamboree 31W GT Class C

Mother is the Necessity of Invention!
31 REPLIES 31

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Photomike wrote:
TyroneandGladys wrote:
?????? check with a fiberglass shop about removing the window and glassing over it?

I really wish you would not have said this. I have a single pane window in the cab over and this was my idea to add to the warmth and to prevent leaks and I had just talked myself out of it...... now I will look more into it ๐Ÿ™‚ I think it is a good idea as really how often do you look out the window when camping plus stops heat in summer and cold in winter.

Sometimes it is the smartest and cheapest solution. Especially when the thing just won't quit leaking no matter what you do.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Buying a old motorhome, especially an orphan where the maker is out of the business will require some ingenuity to replace or repair odd items like non-standard tail light lenses. I own a 2004 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q, I did get electrical schematics that were generic and not very helpful in troubleshooting. Generally the factory customer contact will advise owner to refer any repairs , etc., to their dealer's service department. I imagine that this is typical with most volume-selling RV lines.

chrisdug
Explorer
Explorer
Walts is now Star Deck. They are in Corona CA. They do have a bunch of surplus stuff - I have bought a lot there. I also had them remove the carpet from my coach and put in sheet linoleum - I like it much better now... They did a good job for reasonable...
1997 F-250 HD Extra Cab Short Bed Tow Vehicle. 139000mi. 4.10 gears, limited slip diff, Roll Along pkg. K&N FIPK, 6 pos chip, Trans cooler, intercooler

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walt's RV in Pomona Ca. had tons of RV stuff that was old/obsolete and whatever. He sold that business and it moved to Chino I believe. Walt's was a collection of RV stuff that was an adventure to explore.

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
Has anybody removed the window on their front cap and not replaced it, in other words capped it closed with some sort of fiberglass? Seems costly.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

chrisdug
Explorer
Explorer
I just thought I would post up the resolution to this problem. Jeff at MotionWindows.com gave me a really good quote (about 50% of others I received). I purchased the window and it looks really good. Window is sealed to the frame with mastic like your car windshield is.
Window was at the correct size per the order - I had to sand out the corners to clear a tiny bit and got it in and sealed. He provides double stick closed cell foam to bind the frame to the coach, and thhen you seal around the perimeter to finish the job.
I used ProFlexRV clear flexible sealant and it worked great so far. No more leaks up front - makes me Happy!

I would recommend this company to anyone looking for a replacement window. They also packed it really well for shipment and it arrived intact. They are located in Vancouver Wa.

Thanks all for your input - I hope this thread helps someone else with a leaking window. It is so hard to find good vendors to work with you. Fleetwood was completely useless as were local rv sales offices. If you have an older RV - you are totally on your own...

Thanks All!
Doug

chrisdug
Explorer
Explorer
OK, Time to update this ongoing saga...
Pulled window again and got full measurements. Contacted Duncan RV Parts in Elkhart IN, and also Pelland Ent looking for a replacement.
Sue at Duncan was helpful, but could not find a replacement. She got hold of Fleetwood and they said the window is obsolete, and they have no replacement (Thanks SOOOO much, Fleetwood).
Pelland can make a new window for me, but they quoted a corner radius that is larger than what my current window is - I am afraid that there would be no seal in the corners as I only have about 1/4 to 1/8" overlap with the factory window.

Here are my window and cutout measurements:

Cutout in RV wall:
65.875" wide x 13.00" tall.
The wall thickness is 1.75" all around
The radius cut into the RV look to be 2.5" at all 4 corners

The frame on the window measures (where it fits into the cutout):
65.38" wide x 12.50" tall
The window frame where it mates with the cutout has 3.0" corner radius at all 4 corners

The outside window flange measures:
67.00" x 14.25" (the radius at the outside of the flange looks like 4.00")
The inside window flange measures:
66.94" x 14.12"

Note: the cutout has a smaller corner radius than the window which gives a very small overlap on the outer fascia at the corners. This looks like a potential future leak point as all four corners have only .25" max to .12" min overlap to seal with. Please advise if you think this can be improved on? (Again - Thanks SOOOO mush Fleetwood for the Quality and Workmanship. I am VERY impressed)

Pelland also quoted me about $900 by the time it was shipped to me.

I still need a window - who else can quote me a replacement? I have tried and struck out at the local RV Stealership for Fleetwood - They have not been able to produce a replacement either.

Pelland appears to be a professional company and responded promptly - they just can't make a smaller corner radius than 3.19", and the price with shipping at $900+, and 6-8 weeks to deliver is tough. I have a trip planned for late march and need this done before leaving.
There must be other professionals in the RV window business - I am hoping that all of you can provide a couple of additional contacts?

Sorry for the novel,
Doug

chrisdug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link. My problem is that I have to disassemble the window to get measurements of the rubber channel. I was trying to work thru fleetwood to get the seal in advance. Tearing the window apart to measure the channel, realizing assemble and reinstall it, order channel, and repeat after receiving the new seal really socks as an option. At this point I am looking for a full replacement. Less work and less risk. It is easy to get the window out and another in. I did it already all from inside with no issue.
Ithe looks like I need to do it again to get correct measurements of the cutout and corner radiuses. Pain in Kester but not many good options at this point with no info available.

Note to Fleetwood: I will remember this when looking for my next coach!

Thanks all for your input....
Doug

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Chris, try http://uni-grip.com/

Photos would help a lot as far as getting advice here.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

chrisdug
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is different, no mastic at all. Just a rubber u channel between glass and frame that is now hard. I can shift the glass around now that the rubber is hard and shrunk in the sun. I wish I could seal it with mastic but not designed for that.
Thanks,
Doug

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The rubber gasketing on the outside between the frame and the glass is not what seals these windows. The mastic material that holds the glass in is also the seal; the rubber is mainly trim and edge protection and a little support. They are built somewhat like auto windshields in that regard.

If you (or an RV shop) determine the make of the window, finding the proper rubber should not be a huge difficulty. It might be possible to figure the correct type based on a piece of the original and its cross section.

If you can find a make on the other windows in the RV, there's a good chance that they would be the same throughout.

chrisdug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replys. I have a couple of comments relating to your posts:
1. I have been to Stardeck and all the windows I saw were pulled from wrecks or used. I did not see new windows. I already have a used window and it leaks.. that said - I had them remove carpet and install vinyl floor in my coach and they did a great job.
2. I would love to be able to fix my existing window but am frustrated that I cant identify and source the rubber channel needed to reseal it. I would be interested in a better description of using mastic to make a PERMANENTV seal?
Thanks again,
Doug

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
TyroneandGladys wrote:
?????? check with a fiberglass shop about removing the window and glassing over it?

I really wish you would not have said this. I have a single pane window in the cab over and this was my idea to add to the warmth and to prevent leaks and I had just talked myself out of it...... now I will look more into it ๐Ÿ™‚ I think it is a good idea as really how often do you look out the window when camping plus stops heat in summer and cold in winter.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

bagomike
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
Personally I would opt to repair the old window rather than buy a second-hand salvage window. Maybe the salvage window will leak worse.

Agree, cost less money and trying to find the correct size to fit is a pain.
If the window isn't broke, it can be made water tight easier then replacing.
Out of all the windows and doors I went through at Bontrager's I didn't see one that had been installed, all new, they may have some take out/used windows, but I didn't see them.