cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Questions

hurls26
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking into our first travel trailer. She has found a 2006 17' trail cruiser by R-vision.

The trailer has already been winterized which leads me to my first question. If we did decide to buy this camper, would it be worth the time/money to dewinterize it for for 1 maybe 2 trips this year?

Also, does anyone have any reviews on this particular brand or model? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to joining your community.

Thanks
Matt
12 REPLIES 12

hurls26
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update. We've decided to purchase this camper. We've agreed on price as long as everything is in working order when we pick it up Saturday. They also included the anti-sway and weight distribution hitch as well as a portable waste tank.

We're planning on going straight to the campground Saturday to meet up with friends.

I look forward to learning as much as possible from this site. Thank you all for your advise and info.

Steveo35
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Time to de-winterize is PRIOR to purchase.

Otherwise you are buying a 'pig in a poke'

If seller doesn't agree to de-winterize it so you can check out systems.......pass (not that much involved in de-winterizing/winterizing)
Anyone selling NOW should be aware and willing.

Great advise.

hurls26
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely haven't made up my mind, still trying to research. My last comment was just in general, not this deal in particular. I'm actually leaning towards waiting til spring to find one.

But, I'm leaving this more to my wife to decide. She's the one that brought up this camper in particular. I've read her these comments the past 2 nights to help her out.

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds as if you already made up your mind, so buy it and hope things turn out ok.

hurls26
Explorer
Explorer
Trust me, I understand (luckily not first hand) where there can obviously be issues with making deals with family/friends. And I generally agree. I do, however, feel if both parties (especially the purchaser) understand the terms of the sale it doesn't have to be an automatic no-no.

Now, borrowing/lending money, that is an absolute no-no in my opinion,

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Loaning/borrowing money and buying/selling vehicles to friends/family is a NO-NO
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
hurls26 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. A little more background. My wife's boss, who we have a good relationship with, is the person selling it. So fortunately, we are comfortable with the condition of the trailer and it's systems.
This purchase is potentially a huge mistake - what if something doesn't work as it should later and now it's the DWs boss?

Aside from that the number one newbie mistake is to not have your own Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) and completely test everything.

Yes, sometimes things work out but just saying...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Since you gave more detail, I think I understand your question a bit more.

You can dewinterize and winterize again with no problems. We winterize at least 3 times every winter, as we take a trip to Florida in December and then again in March. And we sleep in the camper (driveway camp) all winter long too.

It only takes a few minutes to winterize. I think it takes longer to un-winterize, to flush out the pick stuff, I think takes longer than pumping the pink. Nothing wrong with setting up the camper for a couple jonts before cold weather settles in.

Have the previous owner explain how to winterize, step by step. Make sure they show you how to by-pass the water heater, and you'll see winterizing is not a big thing to do.

You also have the option to blow air through the lines to clear out the water, and then run the pink later, if you are concerned about freezing before you have to finally park it.

hurls26
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your responses. A little more background. My wife's boss, who we have a good relationship with, is the person selling it. So fortunately, we are comfortable with the condition of
the trailer and it's systems.

Just being completely knew to this, all kinds of things are running through my mind. My wife nor I grew up camping, but we see it as a great hobby for our family.

Basically, if it was March, we'd have already purchased it and be using it. I'm just a little apprehensive of de-winterize it, then re-winterizing it in a month or so and then letting it sit. I know you guys can't make the decision for me, but I really do appreciate the feedback already.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Not the highest "grade" of camper, but would serve well if you take care of it, maintain it, not abuse it, and keep up on anything that needs fixing immediately. All campers require maintenance and constant attention to detail. Some just more than others though.

About winterizing? I agree with everyone else here. Winterizing takes all of 10 minutes or less and 2 gallons of "pink stuff" costs less than $5.00. Dealer should unwinterize it, and run all the systems for you BEFORE you purchase.

If they won't do that ... then walk from the deal and look elsewhere. And if YOU are planning a couple trips remaining this year, then yes... you probably want it un-winterized too, so you can use everything.

Not sure, where in the Midwest you are from, but most likely, you won't need to worry about winterizing until Early - mid November. Watch the weather station and when temps start getting below 32 during the day time, then it's time to winterize.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
hurls26 wrote:
My wife and I are looking into our first travel trailer. She has found a 2006 17' trail cruiser by R-vision.

The trailer has already been winterized which leads me to my first question. If we did decide to buy this camper, would it be worth the time/money to dewinterize it for for 1 maybe 2 trips this year?

Also, does anyone have any reviews on this particular brand or model? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to joining your community.

Thanks
Matt

the trail cruiser was at bottom of our choices, when we were shopping in 2006. they are the lightest of hybrids but that comes at a price.
cheaper/lighter materials that we felt weren't the quality/fit and finish of the better brands(starcraft, jayco and roo/shamrock).

i wouldn't buy it unless the seller unwinterized it and pressurized the water systems, along with all the other systems.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Time to de-winterize is PRIOR to purchase.

Otherwise you are buying a 'pig in a poke'

If seller doesn't agree to de-winterize it so you can check out systems.......pass (not that much involved in de-winterizing/winterizing)
Anyone selling NOW should be aware and willing.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31