cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Liquid Roof! Whats the worst youve seen it fix?

daved9664
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone.

Im going to put liquid epdm on my tpo roof using the primer product they offer.

My question is whats the worst roof youve seen come back after a liquid roof coating?

Most of the roof is intact, with good rubber. Though there is one area where it peeled off exposing the wood underneath. Will a calk / eternabound application solve this in combo with the liquid roof?

Some folks I talk to say to replace the wood and everything. That's going to cost a lot more. If calking, taping, then recoating works, I'd like to do that. Just wondering what any of you have experienced
14 REPLIES 14

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Your link doesn't work for me. Chuck

MrWizard
I'm in the process of using this to repair a slide out roof on a 97 Bounder
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAPJ42A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Superior RV is a one part coating, based on new styrenic, thermoplastic, block copolymer technology. The product requires no catalyst, primer or tape, and provides total RV roof restoration for tpo, epdm, fiberglass, plywood, vinyl and aluminum. This can will complete 42 square feet of roof (including two coats). FEATURES โ€ข The Strongest RV Roof Coating Anywhere!! โ€ข 800% Elongation โ€ข 1900 psi Tensile Strength โ€ข One Part - No Catalyst, No Mixing โ€ข No Primer or Tape Required โ€ข Withstands Ponding Water, Snow, Ice, Hail, and Intense Sunlight โ€ข Prevents Leaks & Premature Aging โ€ข Incredible Adhesion to TPO, EPDM, Aluminum & Fiberglass โ€ข Resists Hail Impact & Dirt Pick-up โ€ข Bright White, Heat Reflective Finish (90% reflective) โ€ข Remains Flexible Below -70ยบF โ€ข Rain will not harm uncured product โ€ข Instant Waterproofing โ€ข 15 Year Guarantee โ€ข Includes 2 Rollers Finallyโ€ฆ.a one part roof coating that does it all!

Well see how it holds up
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
I used EPDM Liquid Roof on our Bounder. While it did seal the roof as it is suppose to, in a matter of months it developed gray splotches all over and looked as bad as it did before I coated. EPDM was no help at all in resolving the problem. Chuck

dtucker3usa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I appreciate it.

Bruce_Brown
^^^ Yours would be an EPDM rubber roof.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

dtucker3usa
Explorer
Explorer
How do you tell whether it's a EPDM roof or a TPO roof? I have a 1997 Damon Intruder and I want to recoat the roof but I'm not sure which one I have. Thaanks.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I used a product called Kool Coat on my EPDM roof, and it was still fine 12 years later. Wash first, then prime it, then two coats of Kool Coat. An added bonus was it stopped the black streaking/dandruff problem. I would do the structural repair. If you go over dry rot your repair will not hold up.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm all for EPDM coatings. I think they are simple for a "handyman" to apply and usually work well. If there is any peeling on the roof, scrape it off with a metal scraper first and try to get it as smooth as possible.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

craz_z
Explorer
Explorer
I went with epdm coatings and the proflex primer for the tpo roof. Worked flawlessly.

Make sure to do it in a warm climate. If you can keep it out of the wind. I got some dust on mine when it was slightly windy still looks good, but i think a bit of dust got in it when it was cured but still slightly tacky. This product will stay tacky for at least a week.

My understanding with the research I did was nothing bonds to TPO except an entirely new roll of TPO thus the primer was used as a buffer between the 2 similar but very different substrates. (Whether you know for sure its TPO or EPDM they still recommended the primer so there is no question about bonding the liquid EPDM to the roof.)

As far as rips and tears or exposed wood. if its recent I would maybe use eternabond and possibly some staples to prevent bubbling.

With this product it will bubble and then as it cures they fade away and are not noticeable as it becomes part of the roof.

Basically this product is the liquid form of the sheet stuff it just needs the catalyst to setup to EPDM that it becomes. It is thick and will cover anything that might be a concern that is sticking up. Its also self leveling and looks great when finished.

My roof was fine but I wanted it to be fresh before I installed my solar system.

I avoided the cheaper products like hengs, dicor and the other yearly maintenance paint. This will form a as thick as oem roofing material.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
why liquid epdm on a tpo roof?
bumpy

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Is liquid EPDM coating the correct product for a TPO roof??

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I just restored the roof on our 96 Southwind. It was in okay condition about a year ago and, deteriorated quickly. There were several holes in the rubber and much of the white coating was worn off but, the rubber was still sticking to the roof. I did cut a couple small pieces of the rubber off because it wasn't sticking real well.

I cleaned it using Tide detergent. Then on the really bad spots I applied Eternabond.
Plus, I applied Eternabond along the sides where the roof meets the body.

Heng's Rubber Roof Coating was used, two coats. The roof is watertight and looks good.

I considered replacing the entire roof but, I decided to try restoration first. I'm glad I did, it was quicker,easier and cheaper.
I'm confident the roof will last many more years.

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
There is another product called Supercoat for TPO made by Proguard. It seems to be hard to find, but might be worth a look.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two thoughts. If the roof deck is sound, where roof material is peeled back it will have to be rebounded to deck. If deck is in bad condition, it should be replaced as wood will continue to deteriorate. Also if deck is bad you could have some bad structural members below too.
I have worked on two trailer roofs. One I had to replace the entire deck and roofing material due to many small leaks and deteriorated deck. On the other I had to replace a portion of the deck and structural members below, ceiling panels and wall panels, plus wall framing in wall due to migration of leak causing damage
Dr Quick