cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement for Photobucket Web Pic Hosting ?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Well it appears that Photobucket is slowly getting out of the picture hosting business (as used on this forum) and moving toward a more archive and print type service. The newest iPad app had no mechanism to link pics anymore. Time to say goodby me thinks..

I'm curious what the newest favorite picture hosting sites are these days; what works best for this forum, etc. ?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
23 REPLIES 23

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
No problem here with PB.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh yeah, Oak Creek Canyon is a great ride. I did a trip in early 80's that took me down there with a guy whose folks lived in Prescott. With a stop off over Mingus Mountain to Jerome. Went from there up to Lake Tahoe, over to Eureka in California before heading back home to Missouri. All of it was a great ride. Long before I ever heard of toy haulers. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ended up moving everything to IMGUR. I didn't have alot of photos but have several folders now on IMGUR of pictures I share alot on here...

IMGUR does have a simple photo size selctor at the bottom of the views where you can retrive different sized photos. RV NET is about the only forum that actually allows you to set your photo size. Most other forums you have to resize the photos first before submitting them... IMGUR really helps out in the respect.

I was moving my photos to WINDOWS just to resize them before submitting to a forum to make a post...

Recently I have discovered the SNIP tool in WIN10 and this has been great resizing some photo views of interest especially in the GOOGLE MAPS On-Line and saving some close-up photos of something you want to talk about in a post... This works out great using IMGUR...

The 'FREE' IMGUR also has both PUBLIC and PRIVATE settings for your photos.

Here is a snipped photo of a OAK CREEK CANYON view in Arizona showing lots of curves etc...

Google Image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried Google Photos, but they're worse than PB when you try to link to a picture. I tried several times but couldn't get it to work, and finally just gave up. Something that takes that much work simply isn't worth it.

I am using Imgur, not exactly intuitive, but once you get it figured out it isn't too bad. I can't actually recommend it, but I don't do much linking so I haven't looked any further. If you find something that works easily post back.

PB used to be such a snap to use: select the photo and select the URL you wanted to use. Tough to get much easier than that.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Sure, if you sign in to Photobucket and go to your "Library", over on the right side down about half way is "Actions". One of those "Actions" is "Download Album". That will download to your computer any pictures/albums you choose. That's how I got all my pictures off PB before I deleted them from PB.

Hope this helps.
Where did you end up going ?
Jeff - WA6EQU

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure, if you sign in to Photobucket and go to your "Library", over on the right side down about half way is "Actions". One of those "Actions" is "Download Album". That will download to your computer any pictures/albums you choose. That's how I got all my pictures off PB before I deleted them from PB.

Hope this helps.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Cloud Dancer wrote:
imgur might be just fine for those who speak computer language fluently. I feel that I probably could learn to use imgur, but only if there was an instruction manual (for dummies, so to speak).
For example, right now my 900+ photos are in photobucket, but I haven't found anyone who can tell me how to transfer them from photobucket to a new photo hosting service. THAT'S how bad it is, for me.
How about google photos? Is it as easy to use as photobucket WAS (all those years I used it (photobucket)?
Transferring from PB to another hosting sight might be problematical, but you can download your photos from PB. I did that when I got tired of having PB open new windows and required me to use Adobe Flash. They used to be really easy to use and quick to load, but now they are just a pain.

Would you please explain exactly what this means:

"------but you can download your photos from PB."
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Thats the first thing is working on a batch download of what's on PB now. I'll likely need to keep the PB pix up since there's 10 years of pic links on here and several other forums. It's too bad there's not a purpose built online storage site that's just there as a host for things like this. Probably not allot of call for it when others can kind of get it done
Jeff - WA6EQU

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cloud Dancer wrote:
imgur might be just fine for those who speak computer language fluently. I feel that I probably could learn to use imgur, but only if there was an instruction manual (for dummies, so to speak).
For example, right now my 900+ photos are in photobucket, but I haven't found anyone who can tell me how to transfer them from photobucket to a new photo hosting service. THAT'S how bad it is, for me.
How about google photos? Is it as easy to use as photobucket WAS (all those years I used it (photobucket)?
Transferring from PB to another hosting sight might be problematical, but you can download your photos from PB. I did that when I got tired of having PB open new windows and required me to use Adobe Flash. They used to be really easy to use and quick to load, but now they are just a pain.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Flickr, for years. owned by Yahoo. and Free.

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
I use Smugmug, been really happy with it and all it's capabilities. It is not a free site though, but it is pretty cheap.
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't say whether Google photos us as easy use as Photobucket was, because I've not used Photobucket. For uploading, organizing, getting links for sharing individual images, Photos is as easy as Webshots used to be, but doesn't have the same sharing capability, because Webshots was more of a social media type of space, more than just photo services.

However, constant changes in the business model, services offered, and tool details could make Google Photos as frustrating as any other Google service. They keep tinkering with user interfaces, adding new things you can do, new ways to do other things, alternatives for doing essentially the same thing. For example, Photos has separate view modes for photos and albums: there are tasks you can do in photos mode that you can't do when looking at the same image in album mode. One of these used to be "add the photo to an album." But that was recently changed (at least for web access) except that the operation is different for the same task in the two modes.

The changing business model issue can be serious. You are concerned about Photobucket changing how you can use it, Google does this all the time.

Google's photo business started out as Picasa Web Albums, with organizing and editing done locally on your computer using a tool called Picasa. Picasa, before it finished, got linked for automatic uploading to Web Albums, which was kind of like Webshots, with people tagging spilling over into the Google+ social media space.

Then Google created Google Photos with lighter duty editing tools operating on their server, or on apps within Chrome, or their tablet and phone apps. Then Google eliminated online storage of Picasa Web Albums, allowing transfer of images to Google Photos with loss of classification data. Then they unlinked the Picasa application from any sort of storage in Google's cloud. I have at least 40,000 images locally cataloged in Picasa, to get them to Photos means uploading them with Photos tools.

Now there is also photo storage on Google Drive, parallel to Google Photos, with limited interaction (Photos can find and show stuff stored on Drive) and different data sharing models. What does this mean for the future of Google Photos? Will it stand as a photo service, or disappear into the Drive workplace cooperative space?

Thus for your circumstances, I can't really recommend Google Photos. All I can say is that I use it, for a few specific purposes (9000+ photos, 1500 albums). These purposes do not include archival cloud storage, which sounds like it might have been one of your uses of Photobucket. What I send to Google photos is scaled down to HDTV size, sharpened for that size, with levels, contrast and colors adjusted for typical HDTV displays. I keep the originals myself, mirrored to backup drives and cloud data storage, but not too cloud photo services.

Your 900+ photos in Photobucket will not likely transfer to a different service. I don't even know if you can download in the original file you uploaded. Most photo services compress and even re-size for customers using "free" accounts, to minimize storage space and processing for display. Some services provide archival storage of original files only as a premium service (Google Photos included).
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
I've started to use imgur the same outfit the forum app uses. The interface offers a bit of a learning curve and differs between mobile devices, (phones & tablets), and PC's. The links portion will yield bbcode text to paste into a post as well as other formats.
Unfortunately the forum app images are not accessible from within the imgur hosting site. I'm not sure if they (app images) are public or private. If they are private a link to the parent section/album would prove helpful.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret