cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Committed

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I have been playing with the idea of full-timing for a couple of years. We've come full circle from full-time to snowbird to 55+ RV Resort to 55+ communities back to full-time RVers.

We think this is the right move for us. Pretty much throughout our 34 years together we've road tripped by car, popup, 24' 5er or motorcycle. One common theme was that we always wished we had time to really explore the places we've been. Looks like we're getting to make that a reality.

On Friday we finalized the purchase of a 2016 Grand Design Reflection 317RST. We stumbled onto a great deal on this hold over model. Last week we just went to a dealer to 'look around' and saw it. The floor plan works well for us and we feel is better than the 318 - for us. It was already clearance priced so when the salesman came over I asked if there was any more wiggle room. He said he'd go look at the book. I figured he'd come back with another $500 or some such. He returned saying they'd knock off another $8k. So, it was time to move. As this is a forum for sharing information, I will share my deal. List price = $56,950. Clearance price = $48,376. Purchase price = $40,376

Specs on the trailer:
35' long
10k empty
14k gross
50 amp service
Optional 12 cu. ft. refrigerator
Has Nautilus valves, not Kantleak

We're very excited and anxious to start the adventure. I want to take a second to thank people on this forum who've shared stories and experience. It was very helpful in deciding if full-time RVing is for us.

2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.
19 REPLIES 19

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you and your spouse, good luck on the road and many miles of happy travels!
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

jpbuch9309
Explorer
Explorer
We have been living in our RV 5er Starcraft Soltice 344rden in TX since Dec and we love it. We are not traveling yet. It is our first RV

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
It looks like you got a good deal, but I'm not "wowed" by the price. From what I've read here it seems like the industry standard for RVs is that people expect to get about 30 percent off of mfg price. That's what you paid ($500 more actually). Before they took off the extra $8K it was an awful price. I'm not posting this to be mean. I'm posting it so that you, and other people not familiar with the game, understand the way it's played. He didn't give you a great price. He gave you the normal price which you should've expected to pay. Plus $500.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

portablevcb
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we joined you too last month. Got the house sold and moved into the trailer. Our previous trailer was a 24ft Nomad fiver that we used like a motel room (we have an Old English Sheepdog). Kids live in SC and WA so 2-4 times a year we would travel to see them. We also had a small class A years ago.

Our new one is a Jayco 29.5BHOK. The bunkhouse has been converted to our hobbies room.

Hope to have many happy years traveling.

charlie
2009 Dodge 2500 Double Cab Cummins
2017 Jayco Eagle 29.5BHOK
Me and Wife
Maggie the Old English Sheepdog

AUwing2
Explorer
Explorer
McIntraveler wrote:
Things are moving along briskly. We rented an apartment and move a little over a week from now. There is an offer on the house and we close at the end of the month. Can't wait to see what wintering in Tucson feel like next year.

That's awesome. We're contemplating listing the permanently planted place in May with a target of driving W/ SW in November.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
beautiful!
CONGRATS and enjoy!!

I hear ya on 'time' to explore. Never seems to be enough when you hit a new location. This is what we are wanting to do also, take time in an area and explore and I wish you alot of fun in doing just that!

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Things are moving along briskly. We rented an apartment and move a little over a week from now. There is an offer on the house and we close at the end of the month. Can't wait to see what wintering in Tucson feel like next year.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
dirtydan57 wrote:
Colo Native wrote:
I was going to buy that same rig but the deal breaker was it did not have auto level so went with the Primetime in sig.

Electric ft. dollys and rear stabilizers are light years ahead of my last trailer. I'll live.

I had a Class A and got spoiled

I hear that. Originally I drove a Ram Tradesman and liked it very much, then I drove a Laramie. It was a $10,000 mistake.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
dirtydan57 wrote:
Colo Native wrote:
I was going to buy that same rig but the deal breaker was it did not have auto level so went with the Primetime in sig.

Electric ft. dollys and rear stabilizers are light years ahead of my last trailer. I'll live.

I had a Class A and got spoiled
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:

2016 Grand Design 317RST

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
Nice rig! I start FT here soon, hope to see you out there.

Good luck on your adventure, too.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Nice rig! I start FT here soon, hope to see you out there.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

AUwing2
Explorer
Explorer
Looks nice - Congrats on the new rig.