cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with animals to Fla. Keys -Screw Worm

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
On arrival at John Pennekamp State Park this week, we were given information from the Rangers about a confirmed infestation of New World Screw Worm. It has killed many of the small Key Deer already down on Big Pine Key, along with at least one dog.
It can also infest human beings.

Before leaving the Keys driving north, you'll have to stop at an check point set up by the Florida Department of Agriculture at Mile Marker 106 for a mandatory check of your warm-blooded animals. We stopped there this morning, answered questions, and were on our way in five minutes.

I wouldn't risk bringing an animal down if it has any open sores. It's pretty grim-sounding, although it can be treated.

For more info: www.FreshFromFlorida.com/ScrewWorm
16 REPLIES 16

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the heads up. We will be traveling to Bahia Honda at the end of March, so we definitely need to be vigilant.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
We also live in Northwest Florida and will definitely be checking with the vet about this, haven't heard anything and they are inside dogs, but I would rather be safe then sorry when it comes to their health..

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a temporary check point, or on going check point? I have already booked a trip this September with my fur babies (2 dogs). We will be spending some time there. I booked back to back locations for John Pennekamp, Bahia Honda, and Long Key. Thank you for the heads up and any information you might have.

dturm
APHIS Bulletin wrote:
Residents who have warm-blooded animals (pets, livestock, etc.) should watch their animals carefully. Florida residents should report any potential cases to 1-800-HELP-FLA (1-800-435-7352) or non-Florida residents should call (850) 410-3800. Visitors to the area should ensure any pets that are with them are also checked, in order to prevent the spread of this infestation.

While human cases of New World screwworm are rare, they have occurred, and public health officials are involved in the response. No human cases have been reported in Florida. For more information about this disease in humans, please contact your local public health department. Using fly repellents and keeping skin wounds clean and protected from flies can help prevent infection with screwworm in both people and animals.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

dturm
Just got an APHIS alert about a case in Miami Dade (Homestead FL) in a stray dog. I will post more info in a while (sorry I was on my cell phone).
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Sqdancecaller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. We will be heading that way the end of Dec. I have passed this along to our friends with fur babies that will be arrive before us.
2013 Thor Chateau 32 ft.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI, for those, who like me, are saying "Wait - we have those in OUR area"?? - the answer is "probably not". I remember my friend's barn kittens having fly larva growing in their necks and needing to be removed - I thought those were "Screw Worms" - but they're not, after doing some reading. They're Cuterebra/Botfly/"Wolf" larva; and aside from grossing-out the owners of the pets affected, they *usually* don't do much damage. A vet can remove them, then treats the wound like an abcess.

Screw worms eggs are laid in an open wound or mucous tissue, and then the larva eat the live tissue of their host. They had been eradicated from the USA until this batch showed up. I'm assuming that most RVing pets would NOT be at risk since we don't leave our pets outside all day, nor leave them with untreated wounds. I'll avoid the area simply so there's 2 less dogs that have to be checked.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info. We're planning on being in the Keys for Christmas - good to know to expect this ahead of time.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
That's great, now we have screw worms to go with the screwballs
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for letting us know.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
We were going to do some camping in FL this winter - maybe we'll avoid the Keys until they get this under control (which it sounds like they're pretty good at doing!) Also makes me wonder if there will be a concern with a fly or two hitchhiking in an RV?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the Quarantine Zone Directive: (basically everything south of Key Largo/Mile Marker #91)

Zone
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
We have friends who travel the Keys on their yacht - who checks their dog? But then, they stay on Marathon Key so it's probably moot.

Good question. The USDA is trying to contain this so it doesn't spread to infest the livestock industry.

Actually Marathon is about 50 miles closer to Big Pine Key where all the endangered Key Deer have died than we were up in Key Largo.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We have friends who travel the Keys on their yacht - who checks their dog? But then, they stay on Marathon Key so it's probably moot.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE