cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how in the heck to pick a used class A

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1999 Fleetwood class A we bought from my son and used a few times, but it needs to go to motorhome heaven. We want to buy a nice used one and are stymied as to how to know what to choose.

Our budget: Up to 65,000.
Only the two of us.
DH's priorities: 30 feet, no more. Well built inside and out.
Mine: Lots of storage, decent kitchen space. Comforts of home on the road but don't need a bunch of slideouts or things like a fireplace. We like our no-slideout Fleetwood but it's worn out. Don't want to feel like it's poorly made. We'll use it several times a year for 2-week to 1-month trips. We live in Colorado.

We've looked online for a while but find all the possibilities confusing. Can anyone give us advice about the most efficient way to look? Thank you in advance!
43 REPLIES 43

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
As others have said on an older MH the condition and maintainance is more important than brand name. The 2007 Damon will have the lasted power train, the 2003 NRV will not. I don't believe NRV will have any pass thru storage, the Damon may have two pass trus. Based on condition for the price difference I would lean toward the Damon.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
iawia wrote:
Tiffin is up there with Newmar. We liked some of the Nationals but really liked the layout of the Southwind 32VS. They're a little above the Bounder in terms of finish and maybe base options. Lots of people that have this model seem to really like them and they can be found in Workhorse or F53. We almost bought one but found a Triple E Commander with same layout which is more in line with Newmar and Tiffen. FWIW if that hadn't happened we probably would have been happy with the Southwind.

OK, speaking of national - tell me about it. After driving about 200 miles each way to New Braunfels this weekend, I have narrowed the choices down to 2. One of them (in New Braunfels) is a 2003 National. It was at the Camping World there.
2003 National Sea Breeze
It seemed to be a well built coach, and the price was within our budgeted amount. It had a small amount of water staining on the ceiling material, but it was dry when we checked it out Saturday (in a good rain). I crawled up on the roof and saw where the PO had run a fresh strip of EternaBond tape across where the front cap meets the fiberglass roof. Other than not having a gas oven, it was pretty much what we were looking for. The salesman said that the National coaches were a high-quality unit, and inferred that they went out of business because they couldn't compete with lower cost builders, or something like that.
The other one I have narrowed our choices down to is a Damon Challenger. It seems to be an entry-level model.
2007 Damon Daybreak

Anyway, we visited the PPL, Crestview (both locations along I-35), Camping World and Evergreen RV sites. It was a full two-day trip there and back. We got to see the "short list" units again during a good rain on Saturday.
One thing I will say - we have never been so amazed at the condition of some coaches as what we saw last weekend. Good heavens! Don't people take care of their expensive "toys" any more? We saw units with water damage that could have been prevented with basic maintenance, smelled some really funky things in some, and saw where cats had been allowed to rip up the upholstery. We also witnessed some pretty sketchy "upgrades" and "remodeling work", as well as "repairs" on some units. All we could do was shake our heads in disbelief (and sometimes hold our noses).

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
DryCreek wrote:

Here are some brands I am looking at:
Tiffin, Damon, National, Southwind by Fleetwood, Hurricane, Aerbus by Rexhall and Pursuit.

Tiffin is up there with Newmar. We liked some of the Nationals but really liked the layout of the Southwind 32VS. They're a little above the Bounder in terms of finish and maybe base options. Lots of people that have this model seem to really like them and they can be found in Workhorse or F53. We almost bought one but found a Triple E Commander with same layout which is more in line with Newmar and Tiffen. FWIW if that hadn't happened we probably would have been happy with the Southwind.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
T18skyguy wrote:
Use the filter on RV trader and plug in your MUST haves. For me that's auto-leveling,a genny, and a couch. A couch usually puts you in a minimum of a 30 to 32. I think you get a lot of value in a Bounder, but I hear you I'm looking in the same situation.

I have looked at at least one Bounder, but like the others it was way too long for my needs. Isn't the Bounder a Fleetwood product? I don't have a problem with their products. We really liked the Fleetwood Terry Quantum fiver we just sold, and the Fleetwood Mallard fiver we had just before that one.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Use the filter on RV trader and plug in your MUST haves. For me that's auto-leveling,a genny, and a couch. A couch usually puts you in a minimum of a 30 to 32. I think you get a lot of value in a Bounder, but I hear you I'm looking in the same situation.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
DryCreek wrote:
We are heading out to New Braunfels tomorrow to look at a couple of prospects. I've been doing some reading, and now I have a question - How would you rate the quality of the Tiffin Allegro from 2003 to 2005 timeframe? They seem to keep pooping up in my price range, and I'm also a fan of the Workhorse chassis. Also, the one we are going to look at has a spare tire storage area on the back wall. I also have a couple to look at that are built on the F53 chassis. I am not limiting my search to only one platform or brand. Which brands from the above-mentioned timeframe are best, and which ones are best to avoid?

ETA
Tiffin, Damon, National, Southwind by Fleetwood, Hurricane, Aerbus by Rexhall and Pursuit.

I am familiar with most towable RV's brands and quality "rankings", but when it comes to motor homes, I am at a loss. It seems that there are not many brands that build both types.

With used gas coaches, Tiffin, National and Newmar come to mind. Don't know how old you'd like, but a 2003 Dolphin on a WH W chassis, in excellent condition, should serve you well. The later ones also, but don't like the basement air on some, such as the 05 model.
We sold a 98 Tropical last year that would have lasted, next to forever, but got a whim to move up some and from a motel room on wheels, to a rolling hotel suite.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading out to New Braunfels tomorrow to look at a couple of prospects. I've been doing some reading, and now I have a question - How would you rate the quality of the Tiffin Allegro from 2003 to 2005 timeframe? They seem to keep pooping up in my price range, and I'm also a fan of the Workhorse chassis. Also, the one we are going to look at has a spare tire storage area on the back wall. I also have a couple to look at that are built on the F53 chassis. I am not limiting my search to only one platform or brand. Which brands from the above-mentioned timeframe are best, and which ones are best to avoid?

ETA

I am familiar with most towable RV's brands and quality "rankings", but when it comes to motor homes, I am at a loss. It seems that there are not many brands that build both types.

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
OK, it's a go.
One truck sold, check.
Fifth Wheeler sold, check.
Now, off to find a Class A that fits our length requirement of 30 to 34'. Most likely going to be a used gasser. I am not picky, but I do like the Workhorse chassis with the 8.1L GM V-8. I will not pass up a Ford F-53 with the V-10 (2005 & up though for 3 valve).
I figure that the shorter length will make hauling a toad more enjoyable where acceleration and hill climbing is concerned.

So far I have found at least two very good candidates - both at the PPL store in Cleburne. Weekend after next we may take a jaunt down to their New Braunfels lot. They have at least three there that have piqued my interest. On the one Workhorse MH I found, a quick check on the legacy website shows that the Bosch brake recall for caliper replacement has yet to be completed. There are a few service centers within a reasonable distance to have that done.

We've owned several RV's - this is our first motor home though. I am mechanically inclined and do all of the service work on our vehicles. My wife really would like a DP, but finding one in the length we want, and at the price point I've set (will be an all-cash transaction), I've not seen very many that I would consider.

So, wish us luck, and I'm very open to pointers and tips.

NYCAP
Explorer
Explorer
I feel the same about slideouts. Don't need 'em, and they're another place to leak. The sway bar could be from driving fast or over rough terrain and the differential could be from driving on sand or snow or even from towing. So at 60,000, and 17 years it's noteworthy but not worrisome. Glad to hear it still has life. That was worrisome. Like you I expect to use it lightly. Where were the leaks? That could be systemic and something I should look closely for. Also where did you find the rattling? I too am not a mechanic, but I have a lot of experience trouble-shooting issues and taking care of the small ones on yachts. Many of the systems are very similar. The '99 has the Ford V-10 package I believe. The one I'm looking at has the GM 454 Workhorse. I hear the V-10 is known for blowing out spark plugs, but it's also known for doing 250,000 miles + with relatively few problems. The GM Workhorse is known for burning up plug wires and poor gas mileage (read one guy talking about 3.5 mpg). Both are supposedly fixable, The V-10 by adding helicoil sleeves and the GM by cooling the motor. I haven't been able to find talk on how far the GM 454 7.4L will run nor repairs expected.

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, we are returning the Fleetwood to my son after fixing the differential, replacing the sway bar, and replacing the radiator reservoir. He's going to fix it up further and give it to his sister,so its life isn't over yet.

I know nothing about the mechanics of the Fleetwood. I can tell you that it had only 60,000 miles on it and it seemed like it shouldn'st be this rattly after only those miles, although my son may have driven it harder than we would, and we don't know what kind of treatment it had before he bought it.

It did have leaks, also, and it is using some oil; more than DH thinks it should.

Otherwise, I love the amount of storage and the fact it has no slideouts; we didn't need additional room. The upholstery held up all right too. Kitchen is big enough for RV cooking. We didn't use the sofa as a bed or the dining area for a bed either, so I can't comment on that.

After we drive the 1200 miles in it to take it to my son,I'll know more about whether replacing the sway bar helped the rattling problem, and can post more later if you have specific questions.

NYCAP
Explorer
Explorer
Although the news of the OP's sending their '99 Fleetwood to motorhome heaven is distressing I'd like to hear your opinion of it while you had it. Also anyone else's. I'm a newbie who's considering an early 2000's Fleetwood FLAIR 30H with the GM Workhorse. Headers and a new exhaust give it over 8 mpg avg. The Ford V10 package has a tow rating of 5,000 lbs where the Workhorse is 3500. I only expect to be towing a small trailer with my Harley though.

When we first started looking we were looking for a Class C about 30', thinking that all Class A would mean having to get a CDL or "R" endorsement, and I don't want to upgrade my license. Then I found that several Class A, such as the FLAIR 30H, have a GCWR under 26,000 lbs.

It doesn't matter if we buy now or in the spring. I figure that there will be more stock on the market in spring, but that I can probably get a better price now. So now we're looking at small Class A and larger Class C. We checked out a Coachmen Leprechaun that looked good in pictures, but was delaminating under the cab-over and a few other spots. A Fleetwood sounds like the best deal so far. But I'm just learning. So I'd like to hear anyone's opinion of the company, the model or the package. We're looking in the $20K +- price range.

BTW, we're only shopping private owners. Don't really like salesmen. Figure I can negotiate better with the principle. I pay less; he gets more, and I can learn about the motorhome from the person with years of experience with it.

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, tooltime and soren. I agree with you. We looked this one over top to bottom, inside and out. DH is a pilot who has also worked as a mechanic in the past, and he knows how to do a decent check before getting in any rig that goes in the air or on the ground. Thanks for the reminder.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
toolttime wrote:
Look at a lot of small things that are broken, missing. If they are a lot of them shows to me it was not maintained.

Great point. We found our used gasser at a dealer. The owner of the rig had insisted that the sales staff show potential buyers a pic. of the pole barn he built to store the thing, when he took delivery, seven years prior. As I crawled over and under the thing I noticed that the owner also hand waxed the roof, and used a brush to touch up paint the underside, as regular maintenance. As you might imagine, there was absolutely nothing broken, or missing. There are some amazing used rigs out there, but it can be a hunt to find one. Good luck.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
22WANDER wrote:
When we started looking we wanted to keep the length to 30ft also. But what that does it gives you 1AC unit and a 30amp service. We have 32v Itasca And it has 2AC units and a 50amp service, plus a 4 door Ref. Plus a Another chair behind the CoPilots seat... Now 2ft is not a lot, but in a motorhome it makes a big difference. In just saying these are some things to consider....Good luck and Happy trails to you...

We have a 33' Winnebago for exactly these reasons, and one more deal breaker. The thirty foot version of the same product would of been perfect for us, but they decide to lose half of the three foot difference in the kitchen, by eliminating the kitchen countertop. Seriously, it's almost too stupid to believe, but a lot of rigs in that size range will have a sink touching the gas stove and ZERO actual countertop space. Many will suffer along with that arrangement, but it's a deal breaker for us.