cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Majestic 19G renos have started

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I have done some renos to the motor home, a couple are smaller but two of the bigger ones are carpet and underlay and a tray placed in the empty spot where the generator goes.

The carpet is the same as what I had in the TCer, makes it seem more like home. REALLY shocked at how warm the floor was in the camper without the carpet but with carpet and underlay it is warmer and helps to dull any noises. One thing I learned from the TCer was to leave it a little larger than what I need as it seems to shrink once installed, will leave it for a few months then trim to an exact size.

The second big thing was to get a tray made to go where the generator would have gone. I was going to get the generator but at $4000 it seemed like a waste when I can get a portable one for $1200 or use the one that I have till it dies. PLUS with more battery power I could go camping without the generator and know that I could get through the night without an issue using the furnace.

The plan was to get a tray to hold an additional group 31 battery but when I measured it out I told the guy making it to put it all the way across. Then when I went for the batteries I decided that I would get 4 6V and use them (Each battery has 235AH). The 6V fit with NO extra space from front to back like we knew what we were doing. ONLY issue is that I now have a battery tray that is of no use to me. Think I may clean it out and find a small tool box to put there with some emergency tools and supplies.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks
34 REPLIES 34

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Last time I checked, the 19Gs are selling from 28-29k to the low 30ks, which shows pretty good demand for a motorhome with over 100,000 miles on it made in 2012-2013.

Wish someone would come into the market with a basic unit for around 40-50k... they would make a mint.

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
ctilsie242 wrote:
I hate to ask such a dumb question... but why doesn't any RV maker sell this type of class "C" new? I love the size of this. The only other manufacturers that come close have rigs costing at least 3-4 times this one. There is definitely room in the market for a decently made "C" that is under 20 feet, bumper to bumper.

Considering Cruise America sells the used 19G for more than the used 23A there is clearly a demand for the shorter C.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
ctilsie242 wrote:
I hate to ask such a dumb question... but why doesn't any RV maker sell this type of class "C" new? I love the size of this. The only other manufacturers that come close have rigs costing at least 3-4 times this one. There is definitely room in the market for a decently made "C" that is under 20 feet, bumper to bumper.

Buy a used one and save some money. Even if you have to do some major repairs you are still further ahead. I think they are a special order item for the dealers. I have seen a few that are very low mileage and only a year old but they are priced high and sell fast so there is a demand.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ctilsie242 wrote:

Four Winds discontinued the 19G (they called it a Chateau) some years ago since there was too much overlap with the B+'s. They still build 19G's for their Cruise America customer, but they are no longer available in a consumer version.

maxstjb
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo wrote:
maxstjb wrote:
I called Thor customer service this morning, they are investigating and should get back to me by email. Will let you know once I hear from them!

The chassis minus the house has the 5,000/500 limit. With the house installed on the chassis, the towing limit is reduced to 2,500/200.

Thank you!
Max
Ford Majestic 19G

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
maxstjb wrote:
I called Thor customer service this morning, they are investigating and should get back to me by email. Will let you know once I hear from them!

The chassis minus the house has the 5,000/500 limit. With the house installed on the chassis, the towing limit is reduced to 2,500/200.

maxstjb
Explorer
Explorer
Max
Ford Majestic 19G

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
maxstjb wrote:
Hi PhotoMike,
Thanks for sharing this! I also own a 19G and was wondering if you knew about the hitch class en specs of the one installed on this Class C.

The original hitch has a sticker that say 5000lbs tow, and 500lbs tongue weight. But there is another sticker on top of if that says 2500/200. I'm not sure if it's CruiseAmerica who put the 2nd sticker to make sure people are not towing anything with the RV. Or is it the manufacturer (Thor?) who limits the tow capacity because the body/frame is modified because it's an RV?

We plan on putting our Scooter (50cc, 220lbs) and two road bikes on the hitch. Overall it might be a bit over 300lbs including the racks.

If it's the RV frame that cannot support what the hitch can support, I might end up modifying the rear so that I have 2 additional "receiver" so that my rack is supported 3-way.

I was looking at that the other day as I was thinking of picking up a small camping trailer for a trip this summer to give another set of beds. Mine also said 500 / 5000 on a sticker but had a note by it that said for temporary towing only and had some other stickers that I could not read (it was too cold to get down and look). I think the first sticker is for the screw on light connectors but it was too cold to investigate further. I will try and look better tonight as I am trying to take off for a couple days and want to take the Ebike for servicing so have to hook up the bike carrier.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

maxstjb
Explorer
Explorer
Hi PhotoMike,
Thanks for sharing this! I also own a 19G and was wondering if you knew about the hitch class en specs of the one installed on this Class C.

The original hitch has a sticker that say 5000lbs tow, and 500lbs tongue weight. But there is another sticker on top of if that says 2500/200. I'm not sure if it's CruiseAmerica who put the 2nd sticker to make sure people are not towing anything with the RV. Or is it the manufacturer (Thor?) who limits the tow capacity because the body/frame is modified because it's an RV?

We plan on putting our Scooter (50cc, 220lbs) and two road bikes on the hitch. Overall it might be a bit over 300lbs including the racks.

If it's the RV frame that cannot support what the hitch can support, I might end up modifying the rear so that I have 2 additional "receiver" so that my rack is supported 3-way.

Max
Ford Majestic 19G

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not really a reno but I took the RV out a week ago when it was really cold and the engine light was flashing for a few seconds. Took it in today to my mechanic and the number 6 coil was shot, the boot was fried and the spark plug was loose. SO he did a complete tune up. Took it out for a test drive and to say that it drives better is an understatement. It drove okay before but in tow/haul mode it was really jerky, now it shifts so smoothly. Also the idle is about half of what it was.

Another reno that I will have to do is that the RV does not have a block heater so next oil change it goes in for it will get a block heater as they need to order in the part.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
You really don't need anything under you as most of the usable bed is above the cab of the camper and not over the cold air. That is one thing that I really like about the Class C over the truck camper.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Photomike wrote:
mlts22 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how comfortable is the bed on that class "C" model? I like the size of it, and wondering if the loft bed is doable on a constant basis.

For how many? For me I went and got some more foam and so far I do like it for just myself. I may change things again after a few more nights of "testing" ๐Ÿ™‚

Just my lonesome. The foam idea sounds good, and I might see about Dri-Dek or something between the mattress and the overhead area to ward off mildew. I just couldn't tell by the pictures if the space was like a queen or double bed.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
mlts22 wrote:
Out of curiosity, how comfortable is the bed on that class "C" model? I like the size of it, and wondering if the loft bed is doable on a constant basis.

For how many? For me I went and got some more foam and so far I do like it for just myself. I may change things again after a few more nights of "testing" ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks