cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new camper

toolinarnd
Explorer
Explorer
I looking for some input, we're looking at replacing our old coachmen tt, looking at the lite rear living rooms around 30ft. We have narrowed our search down to three different brands, Flagstaff 26rlws but the little lady isn't a big fan of the of the split bathroom, the Keystone Hideout 26RLS, don't know much about them, any knowledge about quality would be very helpful and then finally,the North Trail 26lrss again no knowledge about the quality. I prefer the fiberglass over the aluminum. Thank you in advance
Shawn

PS the Flagstaff is the top of my list' it's usually just the two of us but on some occasions' there would be our adult son and his wife, which is why she isn't crazy about the split bath.
10 REPLIES 10

toolinarnd
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the advice. I had a friend from work that just sold his travel trailer and gave me his reese straightline hitch complete with a set of 1200 and 1000# bars. I'm thinking that I'll to take him and his wife out for diner, as he wouldn't take any money from me. Now We can't wait for spring to bring her home and take her out.

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
The Equalizer is a good choice. You need to estimate the hitch weight after you load it up to get a good idea what size spring bars to get. I recommend getting the next larger size than your actual loaded hitch weight.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

four22
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the trailer. I'd be interested in seeing what others suggest because the trailer were looking at is similar in weight to yours.

toolinarnd
Explorer
Explorer
Finally pulled the trigger today' We went with the north Trail 26LRSS No my next question is what to go with for a hitch, our old Catalina has just a wdh with a friction sway bar and 800lb bars. The north Trail has a ship weight of 6030 and a GVWR of 8600 now I know that I'll probably Never get there as We have never hauled with more then 10 gallons of water in the tanks. Im thinking I should go with a 1200# bar just in case, i ever put much of anything in the truck bed. Thinking about the reese dual cam, or the equalizer 4 point, any recommendations? Towing with a F150 ecoboost hd with 9600 lb tow package.

toolinarnd
Explorer
Explorer
thank you for the advice, after comparing the three, we are leaning towards the North Trail local family owned dealer. love the layout, would have preferred an enclosed shower but there's always compromises' and i can deal with a shower curtain.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
A suggestion:

What ever you do, don't just decide on the floor plan.
We made that mistake. It was the exact floor plan that we had been looking for so we bought it (a new 2016 Forest River) and now we are working our way through the worst workmanship that I have ever seen in my life.
We have had three other trailers before this one and two of them were considered entry level.
This one would make them look like the absolute highest end of the trailer line.

jack L
Jack & Nanci

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
'Ya pays yer money, and 'ya takes your chances......

We bought our Heartland North Trail at a small family dealership. They were very accommodating to some extra work we wanted done before delivery, and even re-packed the bearings for us. It had a few minor issues but I never took it back to the dealer.

While we love the floorplan and features in our Grand Design, it's been back to the (chain) dealer twice for a total of 33 days and still isn't right.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Grand Design travel trailers.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

toolinarnd
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your help. We do spend most of our time outside the layout is more for those bad weather days. That's we are staying away from the large dealers walked into one and said we were just looking at what's out there and they call us every three days. My biggest concern concerns are about the general quality I've always liked the springdale line but haven't heard much good about Keystone lately. And the North Trail is a new brand to me.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends how you plan to use the trailer. The things i mention here may not apply to you but its what i found to be.
If you are 'outside in nature' people, its no problem with those floorplans.
For longer stays using those floorplans like a home , where you spend time inside, i didn't like the chairs being in the entrance aisle, too busy. When you have more than 2 people, its becomes too busy using those floorplans as you described.

If you like to watch a game, then the DW will be in the viewing area as she cooks and preps. tv is kind of far away for sports viewing detail as well as sound. The tv is far away form those chairs , so you really need to crank it up. At night, you can hear the tv outside and that can annoy neighbors unless you use headphones.

Also.....You need to research Mfg.'s See how different Mfg's treat people after the purchase. I prefer the more positive reputation of Jayco, KZ, Outdoors RV or A.Fox (Nash) for decent customer service.
I would travel to buy one and work a deal to have someone like Steve at C.H. Dana in Monroe NH, do the warranty work if that was closer to your home.

If you have the means, I would prefer to buy from a small family owned dealerships opposed to large big box dealerships where the customer gets lost after the sale.

There are small rv repair shops that have dealers licenses that can order new rv's of various brands, check into that.
I know people that have bought that way and were very happy because those shops survive on good service and order only rv's that people know they want because they have run around researching already. They don't play one brand against the other to make a sale like large multi brand dealerships do. However, certain mfg.'s like Jayco, will not sell to independent dealers out of there dealer network.