cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Design

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a grand design 303 rls. What are your thoughts good or bad. The thing that worrys me is the lippit frame.

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
34 REPLIES 34

tcamper
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
On the Montana owners site I have Never seen anybody complain about THAT issue in 6 years on the forum and Montana outsells GD by a wide margin so I do not get why GD is having so many problems with it because we pretty much all use the same axles and frames etc..

I believe the difference is the broad open-forum concept. I have been in the RV ownership world for 17 years and have NEVER seen a more โ€œopen-on-all-issuesโ€ approach.
The owners of GD products have their own forum as well as their own Facebook groups. And both of these mediaโ€™s are monitored by very active GD employees who support this approach and consistently assist the owners with their issues and problems.
Let's go camping.......

Terry & Eileen
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2015 RAM 3500 4X2 / 6.7 Cummins diesel
Houston, Texas

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Also make sure you keep an eye on the street side of the 5er. It's a known issue that the 303's tend to lean to the left. IIRC they're around 800 lbs heavier on the big street side slide out. There's a few members over on the GD site that have done some spring tweaking.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
On the Montana owners site I have Never seen anybody complain about THAT issue in 6 years on the forum and Montana outsells GD by a wide margin so I do not get why GD is having so many problems with it because we pretty much all use the same axles and frames etc..
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
I wonder why it seems like there's more Grand Design built trailers having this issue. I read a couple other RV brand forums as well and hardly see the problem compared to GD. Is GD asking for something different?
s

I don't know if they are or it is because they have run a poll on their forum and it has become a big deal as a result. I would be interested in knowing if owners forums for any other manufacturers have kept track of how many owners have had this issue.

I don't know why Lippert would change the way they assemble the same axles for different manufacturers.

Thats kinda what I was thinking too. I know they have a poll on there site, but they had issues way before the poll. You would think though that if percentage wise another brand had that many grease seal failures that it would be posted a lot. I'm also on the Northwood site and they had a few but most were AL-CO brand. I haven't seen any recently. I think AL-CO was bought out by Dexter too.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
This thread has me interested in GD. Going to Indianapolis tomorrow to take a real close look at GD 337 as well as some others.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I wonder why it seems like there's more Grand Design built trailers having this issue. I read a couple other RV brand forums as well and hardly see the problem compared to GD. Is GD asking for something different?
s

I don't know if they are or it is because they have run a poll on their forum and it has become a big deal as a result. I would be interested in knowing if owners forums for any other manufacturers have kept track of how many owners have had this issue.

I don't know why Lippert would change the way they assemble the same axles for different manufacturers.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TBammer
Explorer
Explorer
This is the one I am looking at. The price and financing are the impediments to making the deal.
2016 Chevy 2500 HD, 6.0 gasser, 4.10 dif
2019 Arctic Fox 25W
Reese Pro-Series WD Hitch

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Alpenlite rides on a Lippert frame. Over the years some serious upgrades have been done to compensate for the deficiencies starting with the areas around the spring hangers which have been boxed in properly rather than have a simple gusset. Next came the upgrade in springs, going from a 6 to 7 leaf stack. Also installed the Equaflex centerpoint system & the alignment system.

No problem with the bearings. Trailer has the Nev R Lube bearings. Must be the better part of 100,000 miles on the trailer so it has had more than average of best & worst that the roads can give it.

The only addition that is non Lippert is the 5th Airborne air pin box. Don't like it. Better than nothing but nowhere near as effective as the Lippert airbag pin box. Huge difference in travel difference between the two. Had the Lippert pin box on previous near identical trailer.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
My LIppert 6 point level up control wouldn't turn on. Called the dealer and they made me an appointment two weeks in the future. Call Grand Design and after 10 minutes on the phone with tech support trouble shooting they sent one out red and I had it the next day. Installed and cancel my appointment at the dealers.
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

WolfFox
Explorer
Explorer
DKRITTER wrote:
How has GD changed if any since the were bought out by Winnebago?

Yup, They haven't at all. Same great customer care and quality build. I think one of the reasons Winnebago bought them out was for GD to have a positive influence on themselves. Winnebago has been struggling they last few years. I think it will be a win win situation for both. At least I' hoping so.
2017 F350, Bronze Fire, King Ranch, DRW, 4x4 Off Road, LED, Adaptive Cruise/Steering, CLSN WRN, Lane Alert, BLIS, Tow Tech, Power Steps, Dual Alt's, 3.55 LS Axle, LINE-X, B&W Companion Hitch

2017 Grand Design Solitude 384GK-R, 16K, 40 ft. 5th Wheel

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
DKRITTER wrote:

They haven't.

They are still working as an individual entity.
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

DKRITTER
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F350 CC SRW LB
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My last FR Product)
20,000lb Reese Goose Box

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Leaking hubs on GD RV's has been an ongoing problem since 2014. Lippert says they are changing the process for greasing the bearings during assembly, yet 2017 built RV's continue to have issues.
Other than that, GD built RV's are pretty solid.