cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

7" (or larger) GPS Units

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been using my Garmin Nuvi for several years with great success but the small screen, while great in the car, presents some difficulties in the MH so I'm shopping for something larger.

Since this will be a dedicated GPS I have little to no interest in ancillary functions like phone connectivity, web browsing, playing music, cameras and the like. Of course most come with a lot of those features but they are of minimal interest.

RV specific units are interesting but not necessarily a "must have" and I wouldn't want to sacrifice quality navigation for a list of RV parks.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Dick
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
36 REPLIES 36

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
holstein13 wrote:
Dale.Traveling wrote:
The problem was only the iPad with cellular capabilities have GPS and I would rather not add an additional device to my service.
To be perfectly clear, you DO NOT need to add service to an iPad with cellular capabilities.

It's simply not necessary in order to use the GPS.

Speaking of not necessary, ANY iPad will work as a GPS, not just those with cellular capability.

All you need to do is use them in conjunction with a Bluetooth GPS receiver like Garmin GLO or Bad Elf. The added benefit of doing so is that you can place the receiver way out next to the windshield where there's great reception and leave the iPad in further where it's easier to see.

Rufas
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
Rufas wrote:
No one here has mentioned using the front overhead TV as a monitor. I have a small form factor PC on the floor under the drivers side dash. I've ran an HDMI cable from that PC to the front overhead LCD TV. I have a wireless keyboard with mouse, very similar to a laptop keyboard. I really like having a 36 inch monitor for my GPS screen. I've had this setup for almost 14 years.

I use Delorme Street Atlas Plus as my GPS using the above setup. What I REALLY like is the ability to add my own custom POIs to my routes. I'm like to plan my trips ahead of time with everything defined. I typically plan large trips. This years spring trip is over 6,000 miles. I plan for all fuel stops and all nightly stops.

I've tried using Co-Pilot and it's so limiting. Can't import ANY POIs and using the find POI function is totally useless. I can never find any truck stops for fueling. I gave up on it.

The bottom part of the screen is my SilverLeaf engine monitoring software.

A couple of comments. You actually can import custom POIs into CoPilot
***Link Removed***
***Link Removed***

Regarding using your front TV, just be carefull, as some states, particularly out west, have laws against the driver viewing anything on an overhead TV.

CoPilot for Windows DOES NOT support importing POIs and the search for POIs from within CoPilot is totally useless. It fact, CoPilot for windows is worthless.

As for using the overhead front TV out west, been using it since 2002 and never had a problem. There are laws against GPS and tables mounted on dash within line of sight too.

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Rufas wrote:
No one here has mentioned using the front overhead TV as a monitor. I have a small form factor PC on the floor under the drivers side dash. I've ran an HDMI cable from that PC to the front overhead LCD TV. I have a wireless keyboard with mouse, very similar to a laptop keyboard. I really like having a 36 inch monitor for my GPS screen. I've had this setup for almost 14 years.

I use Delorme Street Atlas Plus as my GPS using the above setup. What I REALLY like is the ability to add my own custom POIs to my routes. I'm like to plan my trips ahead of time with everything defined. I typically plan large trips. This years spring trip is over 6,000 miles. I plan for all fuel stops and all nightly stops.

I've tried using Co-Pilot and it's so limiting. Can't import ANY POIs and using the find POI function is totally useless. I can never find any truck stops for fueling. I gave up on it.

A couple of comments. You actually can import custom POIs into CoPilot
Importing to an Android device
Importing to an iOS device

Regarding using your front TV, just be carefull, as some states, particularly out west, have laws against the driver viewing anything on an overhead TV.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Rufas
Explorer
Explorer

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
The problem was only the iPad with cellular capabilities have GPS and I would rather not add an additional device to my service.
To be perfectly clear, you DO NOT need to add service to an iPad with cellular capabilities. Every single iPad I have has the GPS and cellular capabilities and I have not activated service on any of them.

If you want cellular service, you can add the service, but I don't need it. I simply connect to my mifi card while traveling and it works great. So if adding service is holding you back, you needn't worry. It's simply not necessary in order to use the GPS.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

StuckinTracy
Explorer
Explorer
Sound like you have made your decision and I wish you luck with it. If you change your mind you might check out the Magellan RV9145. The "boss" got me one for Christmas 2 years ago and I love it. Free map updates for life with it too.
10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
I used my Garman and Copilot with iPhone taking a 100 mile trip the other day. They both took me the same way and did the same things but I felt that Copilot did the best job especially at which lane to be in!

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I do use my 10.1 tablet every once in a while. It has nice graphics. I bought a Garmin RV760LMT a few years ago and I still use it over the coach GPS or even the tablet. I like how loud it is and the screen is large and bright, and something to be said for the Garmin features such as lanes change for turns etc., and I still like some of the features like finding a campground.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, decision time. After hearing all the pros and cons over using a tablet I've managed to overcome my original bias and go the tablet route.

Years ago I gave my wife a Asus Transformer 10" tablet. She uses it primarily as an e-book reader but does do a bit of Internet news surfing and email checking as we travel but it's slow as molasses on a winter day and I've been considering buying her a more up to date mode. So, I'm getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 for her and will re-purpose the Asus as a GPS unit. I had tried to give it away to the grand kid but no one wants it since it's so outdated but it does have a GPS function.

Still need to figure out the mounting and will try the side window idea and see how that will work. Meanwhile I will need to find a travel adapter and a source of 12V power in that area. I also think I'l just start with the basic version of Co Pilot and make an upgrade decision later if I like it.

Thanks again of all the input this has been a very useful thread and it actually stayed on topic (bit of a shock).
Dick

wredman
Explorer
Explorer
regarding the Garmin RV660 vs RV760,

I think the newer RV660 has a newer tech (capacitive) screen, similar to the behavior of all the phones we are now accustomed to. So do not think that the loss of an inch is the whole story.
2017 Thor Hurricane 34F

stugpanzer
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. As I had originally mentioned, I have no interest in using phones, tablets, or etc but, thanks to you folks, I'm starting to reconsider so please allow a few question regarding tablet use.

I don't own a table so I would have to buy one for the gps use but that's minor.

1) Do you need a constant internet connection? I do generate a WiFi hotspot when traveling via my Verizon phone but there are plenty of times where no cell coverage is available.

2) How do you mount it on the dash?

3) Any problems with glare on these larger screens?

4) Since I would not need cell service just a WiFi chip any recommendations for a tablet that would work well as a dedicated GPS unit....I don't see any use for the tablet other than that.

Thanks again for your input.

Dick

1) Buy a tablet that has GPS...make sure to verify that the one you choose has that.

2) I mount mine on the side window (making sure not to block my mirror view). This is the mount I use: Tablet Mount

3) Never had any issues with glare and the GPS app is 'smart' enough to display daytime and nighttime modes.

4) The Tablet will have WiFi so you can use your hotspot. If you use a GPS app like CoPilot USA or RV, the maps are loaded locally so just having GPS is all that is needed for navigation.

As for other uses, tablets are great for extended surfing (better than a phone) and for things like weather, weather radar, shopping, trip planning, reading books, etc. You will find uses for it if you get one!

Good luck!
2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once again, I thank all of you for the advice and I've been looking seriously at the tablet option using a Samsung 10.1" but in WiFi only. I really have no perceived use for another web device as I already have my laptop in the coach and my phone available (but very rarely used) when not in the coach.

When I drilled down to the benefits of using a tablet the drill stopped at the display size. Playing around with the co-pilot program on my phone didn't give an tangible benefit over my existing Garmin...some better features and some worse so it's a wash at best. The big thing is that I'm unable to find a dash mount for a 10.1 tablet. Lot's of other types available but none that work well with my cockpit layout.

I learned a lot from all the input but I'm just going to stick with what works and go for another Garmin but with a 7" display....and saves a ton of $$$ in the process.
Dick

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
I like Apple based products but for this application an iPad didn't fit my needs. The problem was only the iPad with cellular capabilities have GPS and I would rather not add an additional device to my service.

This is true. I would like to point out that I bought my iPad (with cellular/GPS) from Verizon and it costs an extra $5 per month to have it share my phone data plan. I would not buy a non cellular iPad, we got a freebie one and it never gets used because you need wifi for it to work. After I got the iPad I no longer bring my laptop with me on trips. The iPad is instant on for internet access and easy to carry around. I do not have a app program (but I think its a great thing to have) as I also have built in GPS in my RV/cars. I do use it for the traffic reports when going thru major cities as I can pick an alternative route. It will also tell you where accidents are on most major freeways and how far traffic is backed up, as well as if traffic is moving slow or at a crawl/stop. I like the fact that I can turn on satellite images to look at remote camping spots and gas stations for easy in and easy out locations. Also use internet on it for the Ultimate Campground site app as well as gas buddy, yelp and even this forum ๐Ÿ™‚

I know its a lot more that what the original post asked for, but I have found no need to by a GPS unit or a laptop anymore with this device.

Have not tried Samsung products but if they have a gps/cellular one I would not be afraid to go that route either.

If you already own a iPhone, I would go the ipad route as it will be a easy learning curve vs getting another brand device to learn. Not sure about Samsung pads and phones but maybe someone that uses both could give input.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
With Co-Pilot once the app is installed along with the desired maps no network connection is needed unless you want additional features such as traffic info. For mounting I use a tablet mount that fits into a cup holder. My tablet is a Samsung Galaxy 4 7" which cost $158 and the mount was $29.99. App was free. Both have come down in price over time.

I like Apple based products but for this application an iPad didn't fit my needs. The problem was only the iPad with cellular capabilities have GPS and I would rather not add an additional device to my service.

Amazon Samsung Tablet

Tablet Mount
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53