cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridge Question

MandKJohns
Explorer
Explorer
So I've recently purchase my first TT. 2002 Dutchmen Bunkhouse. As of right now I have it parked in my yard, which isn't exactly level. It's been connected to shore power for about a week but I have noticed that the fridge is cool but isn't cold. Is this to do with it being unlevel or is there something more that I need to possibly try? I've been told that it matters tremendously that the fridge is level and I've been told that it doesn't matter. Thanks in advance everyone.
33 REPLIES 33

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP's first step (after leveling the trailer) should be to confirm with a thermometer that the refrigerator isn't cooling properly. Then, if it isn't, he can start troubleshooting it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Things that can affect cooling on AC as opposed to gas include

Poor connections (Tarnished, not tight

Defective heat element

Bad relay on control board

And that about covers it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I've never had that problem. Mine would cool just as well on AC as it would on propane.

Back when I had a Class B which had a fridge that also used DC power, when on DC power, it would at best maintain what ever temperature the fridge was when the DC power was used.

Perhaps your AC heater isn't up to snuff now?

92GreenYJ wrote:
I discovered with mine that it doesn't cool for **** on shore power. It will get mildly cool but that's about it. Doesn't matter what I set the thermostat to. These things are way more efficient on propane. I had it running on shore power for a whole week at max prior to a trip and it was barely 20 degrees below ambient temp. Got to the desert and fired it up on propane and the water bottles on the top shelf were frozen by morning. From now on I'm gonna just run it on pane a day before take off to chill it down.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

92GreenYJ
Explorer
Explorer
I discovered with mine that it doesn't cool for **** on shore power. It will get mildly cool but that's about it. Doesn't matter what I set the thermostat to. These things are way more efficient on propane. I had it running on shore power for a whole week at max prior to a trip and it was barely 20 degrees below ambient temp. Got to the desert and fired it up on propane and the water bottles on the top shelf were frozen by morning. From now on I'm gonna just run it on pane a day before take off to chill it down.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Don't be too hard on yourself. On a 2002 refrigerator you have no idea if the previous owner ran it off level for years and it was already failing before you even bought it.

Before running on gas for the first time make sure you light the stove burners and purge any air out of the propane lines. Otherwise it may never light and cool.

For all you know it might not even be running due to a blown fuse or air in the line and therefore isn't going to be damaged in your back yard. As others have said level the trailer, put a water bottle or small thermometer inside close the door and check it again in the morning. If it's not cold then flip the cooling method from gas to electric or vice versa and check it again in another day.

Also the checking the chimney for heat is a good idea. But don't just grab it without first hovering hour hand near it to see if it's hot. Another test is to turn the refrigerator off for about 20 - 30 minutes then go stand with your ear by the outside access panel and have a helper turn the refrigerator on to the gas setting. After a few seconds you should hear the igniter click three times and then a small roar as the flame lights. No flame, no cooling, no damage.

Good luck with it and let us know what you find.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
When checking fuses, look at the control board for the unit (located in the lower outside vent area). There is usually a automotive mini fuse (3 Amp?) somewhere on the board. It may be on the bottom of the printed circuit board.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
We dry camp always, close to level is best for optimum results.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wait pump the brakes...Look inside the fridge at the right aluminum fin, is there a white slider that can go up and down the fin?? is there any stickers there that says this is colder or warmer?...It may be a failing thermostator if your fridge has one but you need to check the stove pipe...you may have a heating element that has failed ...did you check the fuses for the heating element..out of level is maybe not your issue. If the stove pipe is not warm to the touch then go from there.. again, power heating element, fuse. If it is warm check to make sure you don't have a blockage either. If the outside stove pipe is cold well you can go from there.

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the level for right now, take the outside grill off and put your hand on the chimney. Chimney not hot then call for a tech that is what I have done when the electric as well as the gas burner doesn't work. If the chimney is hot then make sure you are level.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I recall someone using those degree specs and some trigonometry to calculate that level within one inch and a half plank each way was okay.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jetstreamer wrote:
Which way were you off level? Fore and aft or side to side? I believe there is more leeway being off level fore and aft than side to side...

From a Norcold fridge manual ...

"The refrigerator is made to operate within 3° off level side-to-side and 6° off level front-to-back (as looking at the front of the refrigerator)."

That refers to the fridge being mounted along a trailer side wall but in many cases it's not, it's mounted along the rear wall, in which case this off level recommendation is meaningless. The safe bet is to simply level the trailer properly both front to back and side to side.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Which way were you off level? Fore and aft or side to side? I believe there is more leeway being off level fore and aft than side to side...

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't wish fridge replacement on anyone but newbie or not there are just some things about RVs every owner has to understand, adequate leveling of a gas absorption fridge being one of those "things". Unfortunately the OP may have already caused some damage but also as the new owner of a used rig he also wouldn't have any idea whether the previous owner treated that fridge properly either. Hopefully this fridge hasn't suffered excessive blockage of the cooling unit but the fact the OP says it's not cooling as well as it should is a pretty good indication his fridge cooling unit may be partially blocked.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
JWRoberts wrote:
The bottom line is if it is level enough for you, then it's level enough for the fridge. I doubt seriously if not being level is your problem.

The OP first said - "As of right now I have it parked in my yard, which isn't exactly level." and later followed that with - "Ok if half bubble out is the max then I'm way off".

"Way off" doesn't sound level enough for occupancy and therefore not good for the fridge considering we know that any gas absorption fridge operated beyond leveling specs recommended by the manufacturer can begin to suffer damage to the cooling unit in as little as 15 minutes. If this rig has been sitting for days or weeks "way off" level with the fridge running then it shouldn't be any surprise at all that the cooling unit may already be partially blocked, as evidenced by poor cooling efficiency. 😞

I didn't read the OP posts carefully enough. I missed the part about 'way off'. You are correct