cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane/butane fir RVs in Mexico

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Businesses that fill propane/butane canisters are common in Mexico but have no information on outlets that can fill RVs. Does anyone have information on where such distributors exist. We are currently near Tulum
Reed and Elaine
12 REPLIES 12

Talleyho69
If you know you are going to be in a cold place (we avoid them like the plague) be sure to buy your propane/butane in that area. It will work fine in hot places, and in cold.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of the gas in Mexico and further south is Butane which gives up the ghost not that much below 40F if draw off is high
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69

Worked out well. Then nothing worked today. Twisted valve handle a few times and all works. May need a new valve and the maybe not. It may be below 40F in SAN Cristobal and running the Olympian Wave 3 for a but in the morning will be nice
Reed and Elaine

Talleyho69
Don't you love it??? Just as easy as buying fuel, maybe even easier.

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Stride650

Thanks for information. Found this on iOverlander.com. Saw a propane truck pulling out of Xpu-Ha and asked the workers about butane. One of them brought the driver and helper over yesterday and the pulled in and filled five of us.

strider560
Explorer
Explorer
in playa del carmen on west side of highway near GM dealer is a propane station that has filled me before

reed_cundiff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the information
Reed and Elaine

Talleyho69
In 26 years of RVing in Mexico, we have never had a problem with getting our tank filled. Everything from flagging a gas truck down on the road to calling one to come to us in an RV park, it is easy, and not something you need to worry about.

BBQ type tanks are another story, and often you'll need to stop at a big gas plant and have them filled there. We finally took care of this by having a gas guy build us our own fitting that goes on our tank, and takes their "normal" fitting. It has made life easier.

Again, filling your propane tank is something you don't need to worry about any more than filling your diesel/gasoline tank.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
This might help.

http://www.baja-web.com/b-tip-gas.htm
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
You will also find a few (58) on ioverlander.com Zoom to location - Mexico, Place type- Propane

Hundreds of others as well for both fixed tanks and refillable bottles

I've found that "propano" is just a generic term used for both Propane and Butane and most of the attendants don't know the difference

List of the 58 places here http://app.ioverlander.com/places/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&countrycode%5B%5D=MEX&multiselect=MEX&filter...
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a permanent built in tank and can fill at the auto-propane pump at the gas station then the trucks that deliver to homes and business such as restaurants will be able to fill your propane/butane tanks.

Note that many places in Mexico the gas is a mix of propane and butane. In cold weather areas, ie high elevation in the interior you will likely get propane. If the sign says GAS it could be a mix. If it says PROPANO then it's propane. Not much difference unless you are going back to cold country with a lot of butane in the tank. We have never had a problem.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
You can have the gas company that delivers to the restaurants and houses fill your RV container, when you order the gas make sure to let them know that you have a "portable gas container" that needs the adapter, otherwise you might need to go to Cancun, I do not find a provider in Tulum.

The provider in Cancun is:

GAS TOMZA
Av. Lopes Portillo, El Pedregal, 77712
Cancun, Q.R., Mexico
Telephone +52-998-898-0616

There is another distributor in Cancun:

Grupo Maxigas
calle 16 No-510 mza lote 30 sm-91 77516
100,77516 Cancun, Q.R. Mexico
+52-998-888-4649
http://www.grupo-maxigas.com.mx

Give them a call and see if they deliver in the area that you are in, the RV tanks are the same as the small BRBQ tanks, but they need an adapter to fill them.

You need to have a person that speaks fluent Spanish talk to the person at the gas company so that they understand the need for the adapter, they might want to take the tank and fill it, let them know that the tank is bolted to a vehicle and you can not unbolt it.

The first time we brought our new RV to Mexico it took a good while until they understood the need for the adapter, I ended going to the distributor and having the tank filled, when we got back to the US I ordered an adapter, no more problems, either the delivery truck fills it or the local distributor does, I have marked the adapter in such away that they do not try to tell me that it belongs to them and not me, make sure that you know how much gas to fill your tank and how to open the bleed valve, otherwise they will put to much in, remember that in Mexico they use meters and liters not gallons and pounds.

navegator