cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Little RV in the Wilderness: "Long Shots" of Isolation

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last couple of threads about boondocking got me to thinking -- I don't think we've done a thread about what it looks like to be way out in the middle of nowhere. Usually, when we boondock, we are hidden in a clearing in the trees, so it is not possible to get a long-range shot that captures the isolation and silence of wilderness boondocking. (I know it's not really wilderness -- vehicles are not allowed in wilderness areas. But we are usually close to the border of a designated wilderness area, so that's close enough, right?)

But once in a while, we can get a distant shot of our RV out in the middle of nowhere, either because there is a nearby hill, or we are in the desert, or there is a clearing in the trees. ( We try to take that picture whenever we can, so that we can look at it when we are back in the city listening to the leaf blowers and the airplanes and the freeways.) A long-distance shot really shows the RV in context -- it is a tiny box in a big landscape, all by itself.

So here is a shot to start the thread -- this is in Idaho, in the Boulder Creek area of the Sawtooth NRA, north of Ketchum, in Sept. of 2016. There is a storm coming in over the mountains behind the trailer:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Now, it's your turn!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
43 REPLIES 43

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good thread. Alaska is an RVer Dream.

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, all the pics are awesome!!
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Sunset_Gypsies
Explorer
Explorer
BoonHauler wrote:
Sunset Gypsies wrote:
Those are some great photos, BoonHauler, Ramblin'Ralph, and COboondocker. You all are showing the advantages of truck campers!

I didn't post any pictures .....:h

OK Boonhauler, I meant rottidawg , I must have gotten bewildered with all the boons in this thread. :S

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II

Right outside of Badlands Nat Park, on BLM land.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
BoonHauler, now that's really remote boondocking -- when you are so far back in the woods that your photos are invisible!

LOL!! ..... now that's funny!
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
BoonHauler, now that's really remote boondocking -- when you are so far back in the woods that your photos are invisible!
About our trailer

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Sunset Gypsies wrote:
Those are some great photos, BoonHauler, Ramblin'Ralph, and COboondocker. You all are showing the advantages of truck campers!

I didn't post any pictures .....:h
2014 BoonHauler 3614

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Sawtooth Wilderness Area, Idaho

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Sunset_Gypsies
Explorer
Explorer

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
COboondocker;

I love your strategic placement of rocks ..... lol

Reminds me of my days in the old TC. I brought along wood for the task ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 BoonHauler 3614

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph, BLMing is essentially boondocking. Great shot, great cloud reflection! I can smell the sagebrush.

All of these great photos make me want to hit the road. We missed out on the last three weeks of camping due to wet weather, and now I have to go back to work for several months. Oh, well.
About our trailer

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Not boondocking, but almost the same. Nobody else in this BLM campground near Jordan Valley, OR.

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

murphysranch
Explorer
Explorer
What wonderful pictures, all! Love them and living vicariously.
Empty nesters
2 cats
2 cattle dogs too!

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
Arapaho NF

Same site up close