cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many days to travel 1,260 miles?

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
My wife's siblings are planning a surprise party for my in-laws in June. Originally, we were all going to meet in a more or less central location for a big family vacation. Now, they don't want to do that and want us to meet them in Michigan instead (where the in-laws and one sibling lives). This is 1,260 mile from us.

We told them it would probably take us 2.5 to 3 days, one-way, to get there and because of vacation time, costs, max MPH, etc. we'd only stay for at most four days before coming back. We'd rather drive somewhere in between everyone and have more time to see everyone instead of spending more time on the road.

Everyone in the family is telling us it shouldn't take more than 1.5 days to get there, citing a family friend it towed a TT for the same trip about 6 years ago.

So, how long should it take us to get there? Going 60 MPH we could cover 420 miles per day. Doing 840/day sure seems like a lot to us.

Are we being unreasonable in saying it might take us 6 days of travel and would rather not try to cram that into half the time?
2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"
115 REPLIES 115

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like everyone agreed to meet at Hillsdale State Park in KS. Much closer for us! Booked four sites near the lake. Never been there, hopefully it's a nice park.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Having towed my TT from coast to coast a couple times, I find that while it is possible to go as far as 400-450 miles in one day, that is a LOT like work digging ditches: I'll do it for ONE day, if I have absolutely no choice. But if I have a choice, I go at most 300-325 miles a day. Because you have ONE relative wacko enough to do that trip in 1.5 days does not in any way mean that YOU have to duplicate their stupidity.

1260 miles is a minimum 4-5 day trip when towing. And I'd do it that fast only if somebody were on their death bed. Life is too short to miss the roses along the way.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
One trip I left San Diego about 6AM and drove until I reached Van Horn, TX at about 11PM.
I was towing a car on my open car hauler and I was exhausted.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Rush...rush...rush. Personally I follow the two thirty rule of many....drive 230 miles and stop or drive until 2:30 and stop.

4 1/2 hours? That's barely enough time to leave some states!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Rush...rush...rush. Personally I follow the two thirty rule of many....drive 230 miles and stop or drive until 2:30 and stop.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

beeman1
Explorer
Explorer
Whats the hurry..."STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES" they all die off to soon. Don't worry about how fast life goes by,Just love it all.Slow and easy gets you there with a smile on your face.....:B

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
All these stories ring true... if you are in a hurry, consider flying.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
I just drove 700+ miles in two days for Christmas break with the family and we were pretty tired after the return trip a week later. I'd take your time and enjoy the trip.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
Hahaha good story

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
So... by now you have figured out, it depends.

If you want to keep family happy, you need to go there... if you want to reduce stress and arrive rested enough to enjoy, you likely need 3 days or more each way... based on how things go traveling to the event, you will be able to determine if you can shorten the return trip and stay longer at the event. As some have said, watch out for fatigue setting in, you want to be rested and safe on the way home..

If your setup tows effortlessly, you might be able to do the trip in two days with your families cooperation (no fighting, helping with navigation if needed, not having to stop every 45 minutes to stretch, etc).
If you are adventurous and don't mind driving at night, nothing wrong with that, or even just a really early start.. get the kids involved with the planning, make some memories...

I'll leave you with this.
2 women had not seen each other for years and met for lunch. One of the women bragged about her life and she had gone to some fancy college and got some fancy degree and how rich she was and how she had done this and done that... the other woman listened and when appropriate, commented, usually just saying "that's nice". After several hours had passed, the braggart paused and asked the other woman what she had done with her life.. she simply said, I went to finishing school and learned how to say "that's nice" instead of bull$hit.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
For me it would take it would take almost 2 weeks. 250 miles a day and at least 2 nights at each over night stop. But then Im in no hurry to get anywhere
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
I did Northern Michigan to Moab in 1.5 days, driving a sports car. 100+ mph once the roads opened up, no problem. Amazingly I was still getting passed by semi's.

On the way back, got pulled over for 90 in an 80 zone, just a warning... The trooper really liked the car ๐Ÿ™‚

Towing, I'd take at least 3 days days for that mileage.

You were getting passed by semi's while driving 100mph????? That really IS amazing!!!!!!!!!!! :E :R
Barney

My Pop once told me that truckers open it up through Texas, haulin a$$

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins 12V. It's picture like your last one that make me want a new truck!
You're running lower rpms in 5th gear at 75 than I get in 6th!

That is with my 11 HO Dually with 3.42's.

But as far as diesels go, that thing is screaming!

2,200rpm is screaming? Not hardly. If you are talking BIG trucks I would agree.

It was more tongue in cheek. but considering that redline is 3000-3500 rpm yes its is screaming! especially considering the redline on my V-10 is 5k rpm and it cruises at 2350 rpm at 70!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins 12V. It's picture like your last one that make me want a new truck!
You're running lower rpms in 5th gear at 75 than I get in 6th!

That is with my 11 HO Dually with 3.42's.

But as far as diesels go, that thing is screaming!

2,200rpm is screaming? Not hardly. If you are talking BIG trucks I would agree.

I try to stay under 2000 with my Duramax. I won't call it screaming but for my truck it would be revving high
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide