cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gluhwein

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
Made some Gluhwein for Christmas. I studied in Austria a couple of years, when I was younger and always loved Gluhwein in the Winter.

Basic Recipe:
  • Wine - cabernet sauvignon
  • Sliced Oranges
  • Sliced apples
  • Sliced lemons
  • Raisins
  • Cinnamon sticks
  • Whole Cloves
  • Sugar

Simmer 30 minutes, strain and serve.

How about anyone else?

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
6 REPLIES 6

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
Our Gluhwein recipe includes cardamom pods, but otherwise is the same. We keep it warm in a crockpot, so we can drink it all day/evening.

Not to get off the primary topic but I add green cardamon pods (and allspice berries) to apple cider. The lemony flavour mixed with the pepperiness of the allspice is just the right touch for my crockpot as well:c.

ventrman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing I love German Gluhwein.
God Bless!

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Our Gluhwein recipe includes cardamom pods, but otherwise is the same. We keep it warm in a crockpot, so we can drink it all day/evening.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
Sounds yummy.

Yes, it does:).
I don't recall drinking it in any of the Germanic or Nordic countries I lived in but most of my friends/acquaintances from there are of the sparkling wine, beer, or liqueur persuasion.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds yummy.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
We sure enjoyed the gluwein at the Christmas market while visiting our son and his family when he was stationed in Germany. The weather was cold, the drink was warm, the scenery was beautiful. Merry Christmas!!!
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA