Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Silverado

simple274
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
I have a 2014 Silverado that I would like to pull it behind my MH.
Those of you that pull one or know how to wire the lights on one would sure be appreciated, or a wire diagram, or where to get one.

Thank You
10 REPLIES 10

danewguy
Explorer
Explorer
anyone know of a plug and play wiring harness for the Silverado? just got a 2017 1500 and we would like to set it up to be towed with our Class A. I currently have a Jeep Wrangler and I was able to find a plug and play harness for that but not much luck with the Silverado
2007 Georgie Boy Landau 33ft and 2019 Cougar 26RBS 30ft

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
I took our '11 GMC 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 to the scales right after we got it and, with a full tank of fuel, it was right at 5300 lbs. The Dinghy Towing Guide claimed it weighed 4875. That's not the first time I've proved them a bit off.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
A 4x4 extended cab Silverado weighs at least 6000 lbs.!!!!. Mine has a cap and is even heavier

Moisheh

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
simple274 wrote:

The lighting is one thing, and the suggestions above are good.

But I must ask: Have you confirmed that this specific Silverado is four down towable? I found the Owner's Manual and dug down to Page 10-94 where it said the 2WD can't be towed four down and "See Dealer" for 4WD models.

What coach will you tow the truck with? Silverado is pretty heavy, even a 1500. CAN you tow it with a Class C? Sure, but I can tell you you'll feel it. Most gas coaches, you'll feel it. Most diesels, not so much.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
simple274 wrote:
Hi
Those of you that pull one or know how to wire the lights on one would sure be appreciated, or a wire diagram, or where to get one.

Thank You

simple274,
Tying into the factory wiring causes some to run for the hills. It's not very complicated at all. I've done it on 11 different toads in about 35 years of towing. When done properly, you don't have to drill into any housings, add any light bulbs, drape wires all over your nice paint (causing scratches and scuff marks) etc. I use two Radio Shack diodes and that's it, period!

We tow an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 extended cab which, it darn near identical to your intended truck. Now, as stated, I did the wire our Sierra using that method but, on our other toad, a '15 Jeep JKUR, I used a system simalar to the one linked above. It's nice to use a plug and play system like that. If the one linked will work for you, then I'd highly suggest that.

Once you're done, YOU'RE DONE. No putting lights on and off EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU TOW. I do have a wiring diagram of this simple system if you'd like to PM me. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
This is what i used on my 2015 GMC
https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Chevrolet/Silverado+1500/2016/HM55999.html?vehicleid=20161363731

simple274
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about something like that, but I seen people pull like I want to and just wanted to know how they did it.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Our dealer was very emphatic about voiding the electrical portion of our warranty if we spliced into the factory wiring harness, so we went with a wireless magnetic system and love it. set the lights on top of the bed, plug in the transmitter to the RV and away we go. The batteries last over a year of normal towing. Great system.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
The_real_wild1 wrote:
Easiest way is to run a set of magnetic tail lights.

yep, $9.95 at harbor freight.
when I towed a pickup it had a cap and I just permanently mounted tail lights on the cap that plugged into the lead from MH.
bumpy

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest way is to run a set of magnetic tail lights.