cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to mount Air Lift compressor on 07 Ram 2500?

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered Air Lift bags for my truck and will most likely get the Air Lift Load Controller as well. Just curious where you people have mounted the compressor. The kit I am looking at has this compressor...

2016 Forest River Wildcat Maxx 262RGX 8,268 UVW 11,754 GVWR
2007 Ram 2500 QC SB 4x4 Smarty tuned 5.9 Cummins
B&W Turnover Ball & Andersen Ultimate
12 REPLIES 12

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
I put mine inside under the rear seat.
Noise is not an issue whatsoever, you only run it when you're airing up your bags, it's not like it's on all the time. It doesn't run long enough filling your airbags for air circulation to be an issue.
Completely out of the weather and water is best, that's why I put it inside.
Plumbing isn't a nightmare. It's easy.
Having said that, I also have one mounted underneath on the frame that's been there for years and it still works.

Just thought I would post up that I got the compressor and bags installed. I did mount the compresser in the compartment under the rear seat drivers side. It is a lot smaller than I thought it would be and worked out well. I also mounted the gauge in a factory pillar pod, it also turned out great and is easy to reach to add or let air out. Below are a couple of pics....

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
... snip ... Actually, there is a perfect carpeted covey hole under the drivers side rear seat. I was concerned about it being too loud there and if it would get too hot being enclosed ...... snip ... Actually, there is a perfect carpeted covey hole under the drivers side rear seat. I was concerned about it being too loud there and if it would get too hot being enclosed ...

This is exactly where I mounted mine on my 2004.5. It has worked out great -- it's out of the weather, out of the way, and re the sound when it is running, yes, I can hear it, but it is just noticeable, and certainly not loud by any measure.

It's not a "plumbing nightmare", as someone stated, not at all, it was actually very straight forward to install it there. And if you look at that rear seat seat up carefully, there is plenty of air circulation to it -- again, not a problem.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Under the hood or behind the rear seat (or compartment) as some have mentioned.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine inside under the rear seat.
Noise is not an issue whatsoever, you only run it when you're airing up your bags, it's not like it's on all the time. It doesn't run long enough filling your airbags for air circulation to be an issue.
Completely out of the weather and water is best, that's why I put it inside.
Plumbing isn't a nightmare. It's easy.
Having said that, I also have one mounted underneath on the frame that's been there for years and it still works.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running an Air Zenith. It's a larger compressor. It's mounted just forward of the rear driver tire. I also created splash guards to protect from road spray. It's been there for 7 or 8yrs now. Small compressor like yours can mount almost anywhere.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I put that compressor under my drivers seat. Fit real nice and kept it out of the elements. Never an issue with air circulation and it rarely runs so noise is no issue.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are right. Under the seat it would have basically zero air circulation, plus would be a plumbing nightmare. I will dive under the bed and look around for a good spot.

There is a Youtube vid where guys mounted one at the drivers side rear crossbrace of the bed. But that seemed awfully susceptible to water and debris thrown up by the rear tire.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Nevadastars wrote:
Nevadastars wrote:
jshupe:

I used their WirelessAir (P/N 72000) system on my 2500HD while I had those bags. Worked great. The compressor is large enough for the bags, but don't expect to run anything else off of it. I doubt the Ram is that much different, so check to see if you have room on the backside of one of the rear wheel wells facing the cab. Tons of room on my truck there, so that is where I chose to mount it. I removed the wheel well lining (replaced it after), drilled holes for bolts, fed them through the wheel well (tire side, under the bed), then mounted the compressor to them on the other side. Mounted the manifold right beside it. I was able to mount it high enough where it remained clean of road debris and muck no matter what I went through. I wouldn't mount it under the hood due to heat and didn't want to run air lines into the cab.

Actually, there is a perfect carpeted covey hole under the the drivers side rear seat. I was concerned about it being too loud there and if it would get too hot being enclosed.

I doubt it would get to hot from being enclosed in the cab by itself. I run my current (much larger) compressor in an enclosed box bolted to the frame, and it stays within operating specs even on hot Texas summer days. If you want to run the air lines into the cab, that should work, but I wouldn't want to run them under the carpet and that is a long run of line. It'll also be annoying when it kicks on. I'd personally go under the truck, where I recommended in my earlier post. Alternately, I'd fabricate a hard plastic box (be sure to add vents) to mount to the frame and mounted it in there under the truck.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

Nevadastars
Explorer
Explorer
Nevadastars wrote:
jshupe:

I used their WirelessAir (P/N 72000) system on my 2500HD while I had those bags. Worked great. The compressor is large enough for the bags, but don't expect to run anything else off of it. I doubt the Ram is that much different, so check to see if you have room on the backside of one of the rear wheel wells facing the cab. Tons of room on my truck there, so that is where I chose to mount it. I removed the wheel well lining (replaced it after), drilled holes for bolts, fed them through the wheel well (tire side, under the bed), then mounted the compressor to them on the other side. Mounted the manifold right beside it. I was able to mount it high enough where it remained clean of road debris and muck no matter what I went through. I wouldn't mount it under the hood due to heat and didn't want to run air lines into the cab.

Actually, there is a perfect carpeted covey hole under the drivers side rear seat. I was concerned about it being too loud there and if it would get too hot being enclosed.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I'd mount underhood. Some mount it behind the back seat.
In any case I wouldn't mount it under the truck where it's exposed to the weather.
Bet airlift install instruction have a suggested location?

"Select a rigid mounting location on your vehicles frame or cross member that shields the compressor from the elements and heat sources" from the manual. Rules out under the hood and they recommend mounting it to the frame or something. I chose the sheet metal of the bed, high up on the side of the bed and out of the weather under the truck on the cab side of the rear passenger wheel well for my install.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd mount underhood. Some mount it behind the back seat.
In any case I wouldn't mount it under the truck where it's exposed to the weather.
Bet airlift install instruction have a suggested location?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer