cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Fusion

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a Ford Fusion 2.7 ecoboost Platinum last week for a rental and it was a really nice car and got 30+mpg on the freeway and was fun in the sport mode but mileage did suffer. The big thing is it can be towed 4 down. Just mentioned it because fewer and fewer cars can be towed 4 down and I got a chance to drive it instead of just looking and reading.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
11 REPLIES 11

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
tizeye wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
carringb wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
I had a Ford Fusion 2.7 ecoboost Platinum last week for a rental

Note: the Platinum model only comes with a 2.0 EcoBoost (hybrid optional). The 2.7L adds AWD and another 85 horsepower, but only comes in the Sport trim. The Sport trim also adds magnetic fluid shock absorbers, with a pot-hole algorithm to hold the tire above the hole!

All I can tell you is what it said on the paperwork and on the car. It was a little pocket rocket in sport mode.It was a 2017.
Bill

No doubt the 2.0L is very responsive compared to the base gas engines in the Fusion, however, when shopping Ford automatically rule out the 2.0L PERIOD! No vehicle using it, such as Fusion and Edge, is 4 down flat towable. For the Fusion/MKZ plus C-Max the only models flat towable are the 2 hybrid engines (top 3 trims only) and the 2.7L (Sport trim only).

While I am transitioning to the RV world as I retire, my research is to get the "correct" vehicle as VW buys back my diesel, and preferably not dolly tow. Initially considered the Fusion but realized want to sit higher, but otherwise great - and better than the base engine (only) Malibu which is the closest alternative. Just tired of climbing out of a sedan and want to sit over. Concentrating on smaller (less than 4000 lb) SUVs. May relook at CMax, but 4 down short list is the 3.5 or 2.7L Edge (or MKX equivalent) again ruling out the 2.0L base engine in the Edge and only engine in the MKC. The other on the short list is the slightly smaller Buick Envision where all variations - 2 engines and FWD/AWD - are 4 down towable. Ruled out the Chev Equinox/ GMC Terrain twins as they are ancient with 2018 replacements announced based on the Buick frame, plus the current base engine is lethargic with the V6 very inefficient compared to Fords, and no announcement if any of the 3 engine choices in the replacement will be flat towable.

Let me help you understand something. When I tell you what car I had as a rental(Ford Fusion 2.7 ecoboost Platinum) I definitely don't need you to tell me I didn't And I can assure you when I say it was towable 4 down I have checked with FMCA and Remco along with the owner's manual.
Bill
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

tizeye
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
carringb wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:

Note: the Platinum model only comes with a 2.0 EcoBoost (hybrid optional). The 2.7L adds AWD and another 85 horsepower, but only comes in the Sport trim. The Sport trim also adds magnetic fluid shock absorbers, with a pot-hole algorithm to hold the tire above the hole!

All I can tell you is what it said on the paperwork and on the car. It was a little pocket rocket in sport mode.It was a 2017.
Bill

No doubt the 2.0L is very responsive compared to the base gas engines in the Fusion, however, when shopping Ford automatically rule out the 2.0L PERIOD! No vehicle using it, such as Fusion and Edge, is 4 down flat towable. For the Fusion/MKZ plus C-Max the only models flat towable are the 2 hybrid engines (top 3 trims only) and the 2.7L (Sport trim only).

While I am transitioning to the RV world as I retire, my research is to get the "correct" vehicle as VW buys back my diesel, and preferably not dolly tow. Initially considered the Fusion but realized want to sit higher, but otherwise great - and better than the base engine (only) Malibu which is the closest alternative. Just tired of climbing out of a sedan and want to sit over. Concentrating on smaller (less than 4000 lb) SUVs. May relook at CMax, but 4 down short list is the 3.5 or 2.7L Edge (or MKX equivalent) again ruling out the 2.0L base engine in the Edge and only engine in the MKC. The other on the short list is the slightly smaller Buick Envision where all variations - 2 engines and FWD/AWD - are 4 down towable. Ruled out the Chev Equinox/ GMC Terrain twins as they are ancient with 2018 replacements announced based on the Buick frame, plus the current base engine is lethargic with the V6 very inefficient compared to Fords, and no announcement if any of the 3 engine choices in the replacement will be flat towable.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:
WILDEBILL308 wrote:

Bill
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
-Mark Twain

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
We recently sold our RV and its 2013 Ford C Max toad. The C Max was 3-1/2 years old with 84,000 miles plus about 15,000 towed miles. It towed excellently but it must have a 12 volt charge line to power the brake box. The car hooked up easily to the Blue Ox Alpha tow bar with the installed Blue Ox base plate. The brake box was a Blue Ox Patriot. On top of all that the C Max got 40 mpg over the 84,000 miles. Very reliable and low maintenance. Overall a very good car.

tizeye
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_17RVTTgde_r3_Oct19.pdf

Interesting, on the Edge but not on the Fusion is footnote 11. "Disconnect the negative (black) cable from the battery." Does that erase all secondary settings, like the radio and clock, which would then have to be re-set each time when finished towing?

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide
Ford puts out a yearly towing guide and it also goes into detail about vehicles that can be towed behind a motor home. Ford 2016 RV & Trailer Towing Guide for both towing & being towed.
They have guides going back to 2002. http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

2016 its on page 11 Four-Wheel-Down Towing & page 12 Dolly-Towing.
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_16RVTTgde_r4_Jul27.pdf
2016 its on page 11 Four-Wheel-Down Towing & page 12 Dolly-Towing.

2017 its on page 13 Four-Wheel-Down Towing & page 14 Dolly-Towing.
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_17RVTTgde_r3_Oct19.pdf Dick

tizeye
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
That 2.7L EcoBoost has a lot of "get up and go" and some people find that keeping you foot out of the accelerator is hard to do ! Plus they charge $$$ for that option.

The 2.5L is a good engine and so is the 2.0L EcoBoost. I have the later one in my new Edge, which can also be towed, "4 down".

I am considering the Edge...but read the manual as the salesperson may have mislead you about the 2.0L. It is online as HTML under 'brochures' on Ford.com. and clearly notes that the 2.0L is NOT 4 wheel towable but FWD version can be dolly towed.... Copied from the manual, "2.0L EcoBoost vehicles with automatic transmission (6F35) CANNOT be flat-towed (all wheels on the ground) as vehicle or transmission damage may occur."

3.5L and 2.7L Ecoboost (and 3.7L in Lincoln MKX) are 4 down towable....Copied from the manual, "You can tow your 2.7L EcoBoost or 3.5L (6F50 or 6F55) equipped vehicle with all four wheels on the ground."

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Index?bookcode=O33761&marketCode=US&languageCode=EN&VIN=&div=f

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
That 2.7L EcoBoost has a lot of "get up and go" and some people find that keeping you foot out of the accelerator is hard to do ! Plus they charge $$$ for that option.

The 2.5L is a good engine and so is the 2.0L EcoBoost. I have the later one in my new Edge, which can also be towed, "4 down".

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
When I had the MH I towed a 2011 Fusion Hybrid 4 down never a problem I would recommend that if you go that route put in a charge line to keep the toad battery good. I still have the car in case I ever go back to a MH
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
WILDEBILL308 wrote:
I had a Ford Fusion 2.7 ecoboost Platinum last week for a rental and it was a really nice car and got 30+mpg on the freeway and was fun in the sport mode but mileage did suffer. The big thing is it can be towed 4 down. Just mentioned it because fewer and fewer cars can be towed 4 down and I got a chance to drive it instead of just looking and reading.
Bill

Yes, I have also noticed that Ford is one of the few remaining car manufacturers that produce a flat towable car. We are strongly considering the C-Max for our next toad.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad